new branch country-borders

Gerd Petermann
Hi all,

I've started this new branch to test code that adds external routing nodes for admin_level=2 borders,
r4200 seems to do something useful.

The code in WrongAngleFixer prints some error messages, I am not yet sure how to handle the new info in this routine.
Performance is poor, but can be improved once that we know that this really helps.

The current code is executed before style rules for lines are applied, it adds nodes to all ways with highway=*
I am not yet sure where exectly this should be done, probably I will move parts of the code so that this happens later in the data flow.

@Andrzej: I did not test if it helps in your case because I don't know for sure in which scenario this can be used.
It would be great if you could create a small test set for me.

Gerd

Re: new branch country-borders

popej
Hi Gerd,

I have attached a script for creating a test map. It is Benelux, but
created from 3 separate countries. It works like 3 separate map.

You need 3 extracts form geofabrik.de. You should correct paths to data
and tools in scripts.

The result of your algorithm is promising. There is easy routing between
countries in Mapsource. BaseCamp has problems, but still can calculate
some routes. There is no good routing with standard mkgmap.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Benelux.zip (2K) Download Attachment

Re: new branch country-borders

Gerd Petermann
hi Andrzej,

thanks for the script and for testing. Did you see error messages from WrongAngleFixer?
If yes, I would not be surprised when routing is poor at those places.

My understanding was that you would create different gmapsupp for each coountry, with different FID etc.
and want to route between them. Do you think this will also work?

Gerd

Re: new branch country-borders

popej
Hi Gerd,

yes, there are messages like this:
SEVERE (WrongAngleFixer): pbf\be\71282723.osm.pbf: country boundary node
is replaced by node with non-equal coordinates at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=50.920098&mlon=2.593385&zoom=17
SEVERE (WrongAngleFixer): pbf\be\71282721.osm.pbf: country boundary node
is replaced by node with non-equal coordinates at
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=51.257172&mlon=4.086521&zoom=17

I don't know, how it influence routing. We should check in GPS too.

 > My understanding was that you would create different gmapsupp for each
 > coountry, with different FID etc.

Yes, the idea is that even maps created by different authors would get
matching external nodes. But you won't be able to test routing with
multiple maps on PC. My test actually creates 3 different maps, but
install them as a single item on PC.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: new branch country-borders

Gerd Petermann
Hi Andrzej,

there was a stupid bug in the code, it did not always create routing nodes for the added nodes.
I've also changed the code in WrongAngleFixer so that these messages should no longer be printed unless something really goes wrong.

I've tested with a smaller set (just Luxembourg and Saarland) and it seems to work fine now.

I'll now look at the code that calculates the position of the intersection. For now, I copied code from JOSM, but I'd prefer to make old
code from WanMil work for this.

Gerd