nicer wiki URLs

Stefan Baebler
Hi!

IMO I would be good to have nicer & shorter URLs in our wiki.

Eg http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Making_Overview
could & probably should be shortened to:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/Map_Making_Overview

The change would also need to redirect old URLs to the new, shorter ones

The manual is at
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Short_URL

enjoy the day,
Stefan

Re: nicer wiki URLs

Shaun McDonald
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Making_Overview redirects to
the correct page.

On 14 Nov 2008, at 11:52, Stefan Baebler wrote:

> Hi!
>
> IMO I would be good to have nicer & shorter URLs in our wiki.
>
> Eg http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Making_Overview
> could & probably should be shortened to:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/Map_Making_Overview
>
> The change would also need to redirect old URLs to the new, shorter
> ones
>
> The manual is at
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Short_URL
>
> enjoy the day,
> Stefan

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: nicer wiki URLs

Andy Allan
I think you entirely missed the point. Redirecting a nicer url to a
nasty one is the wrong way round!

Cheers,
Andy

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Shaun McDonald
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Making_Overview redirects to the
> correct page.
>
> On 14 Nov 2008, at 11:52, Stefan Baebler wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> IMO I would be good to have nicer & shorter URLs in our wiki.
>>
>> Eg http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Making_Overview
>> could & probably should be shortened to:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/Map_Making_Overview
>>
>> The change would also need to redirect old URLs to the new, shorter ones
>>
>> The manual is at
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Short_URL
>>
>> enjoy the day,
>> Stefan

Re: nicer wiki URLs

Hugh Barnes
On Friday 14 November 2008, 22:02:42, Shaun McDonald did write:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Making_Overview redirects to
> the correct page.
>
> On 14 Nov 2008, at 11:52, Stefan Baebler wrote:
>
> > Eg http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Making_Overview
> > could & probably should be shortened to:
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/Map_Making_Overview

I was contemplating pointing out that Shaun's URL != Stefan's. This is far
more interesting:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Wiki_in_site_root_directory

… possibly because I can vaguely remember tearing my hair out a few years back
trying to do just this.

> > The change would also need to redirect old URLs to the new, shorter
> > ones

Just to point out why, in case there is groaning: search engine juice will be
retained.

Re: nicer wiki URLs

Grant Slater
Stefan Baebler wrote:
> IMO I would be good to have nicer & shorter URLs in our wiki.
>
> Eg http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Making_Overview
> could & probably should be shortened to:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/Map_Making_Overview
>
> The change would also need to redirect old URLs to the new, shorter ones

Fix now... there have been many requests for this.

I have gone for this format:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Main_Page
->
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Main_Page

I've updated robots.txt so there may be a bit of search engine flux for
a few days. Sitemap.xml updated.

Old URL continue to function.

/ Grant

Re: nicer wiki URLs

Tom Hughes-3
Grant Slater wrote:

> Stefan Baebler wrote:
>> IMO I would be good to have nicer & shorter URLs in our wiki.
>>
>> Eg http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Making_Overview
>> could & probably should be shortened to:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/Map_Making_Overview
>>
>> The change would also need to redirect old URLs to the new, shorter ones
>>

> Fix now... there have been many requests for this.
>
> I have gone for this format:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Main_Page
> ->
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Main_Page

I don't really see the point of that - if you were going to get rid of
the middle bit then fine, but just changing it seems a bit silly.

As I said last weekend I had planned on getting rid of it when we moved
machines, but the mediawiki manual scared me off.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://www.compton.nu/

Re: nicer wiki URLs

Jochen123
On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 05:07:33PM +0000, Tom Hughes wrote:

> Grant Slater wrote:
> > Stefan Baebler wrote:
> >> IMO I would be good to have nicer & shorter URLs in our wiki.
> >>
> >> Eg http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Making_Overview
> >> could & probably should be shortened to:
> >> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/Map_Making_Overview
> >>
> >> The change would also need to redirect old URLs to the new, shorter ones
> >>

> > Fix now... there have been many requests for this.
> >
> > I have gone for this format:
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Main_Page
> > ->
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Main_Page
>
> I don't really see the point of that - if you were going to get rid of
> the middle bit then fine, but just changing it seems a bit silly.
>
> As I said last weekend I had planned on getting rid of it when we moved
> machines, but the mediawiki manual scared me off.

Well, "wiki" looks a little bit nicer than "index.php" and we are
consistent with the Wikipedia now, which also uses the "wiki". Granted,
its not a big deal, but its a step... :-)

Joche
--
Jochen Topf  [hidden email]  http://www.remote.org/jochen/  +49-721-388298

Re: nicer wiki URLs

Grant Slater
Tom Hughes wrote:
> I don't really see the point of that - if you were going to get rid of
> the middle bit then fine, but just changing it seems a bit silly.
>
> As I said last weekend I had planned on getting rid of it when we
> moved machines, but the mediawiki manual scared me off.

I enabled it for a more pragmatic reason. It makes robots.txt simpler. :-)

I tested the mediawiki on my test config prior and all seemed to work ok.

/ Grant

Re: nicer wiki URLs

Stefan Baebler
Tom Hughes wrote:

> Grant Slater wrote:
>> Stefan Baebler wrote:
>>> IMO I would be good to have nicer & shorter URLs in our wiki.
>>>
>>> Eg http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Making_Overview
>>> could & probably should be shortened to:
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/Map_Making_Overview
>>>
>>> The change would also need to redirect old URLs to the new, shorter ones
>>>

>> Fix now... there have been many requests for this.
>>
>> I have gone for this format:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Main_Page
>> ->
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Main_Page
>
> I don't really see the point of that - if you were going to get rid of
> the middle bit then fine, but just changing it seems a bit silly.
Yes, my initial proposal was to cut the unnecessary part of url.
Also having "wiki" twice in URL makes little sense.

> As I said last weekend I had planned on getting rid of it when we moved
> machines, but the mediawiki manual scared me off.
good, i wasn't aware of that. I guess mediawiki guys are covering all
the possible scenarios as detailed as we are when it comes to maps, api
... probably scaring off newcomers :)

Some of the solutions are just a few lines of mod_rewrite config in
apache and some settings in mediawiki.

Stefan