nodes with no tags

Mike Thompson
Can nodes with no tags (e.g. node 54182420

) be deleted?

Thanks,

Mike

Re: nodes with no tags

Craig Wallace
On 2013-03-28 23:39, Mike Thompson wrote:
> Can nodes with no tags (e.g. node54182420
> <http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/54182420>
> ) be deleted?

Yes, if a node has no tags, and isn't part of any ways or relations then
it is a bug. So it should be deleted. See
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Untagged_unconnected_node

Though it is worth checking the history to see where it has come from,
and whether it is supposed to have any tags.

For that node, it looks like it was originally from the TIGER import,
and didn't have any useful tags. It may have been part of a way, if the
rest of the way was deleted but the nodes left behind for some reason.
There doesn't seem to be anything relevant visible on the aerial imagery
anyway. So no problem to delete that node.

Craig

Re: nodes with no tags

Mike Thompson
Craig,

Thank you.  I will go ahead and delete these if I encounter during other editing after having checked their history and verified that they are of course not part of a way or relation.

Mike

Re: nodes with no tags

SomeoneElse
Mike Thompson wrote:
Can nodes with no tags (e.g. node 54182420

) be deleted?

That particular example is one left behind by the licence change redaction process (see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Database_License in the wiki for some information about that).  What probably happened was:

1) Someone how didn't agree to have their data licensed under the new licence added a feature

2) Someone who did added extra detail to that feature (including the node that you see left behind)

3) The redaction process removed the contribution by (1) but left the contribution by (2).

Where that node is, therefore, is something that someone thought worthy of mapping that isn't represented on the map.  Rather than just deleting it, I'd go there and see what that thing might be, and map it again.

Cheers,

Andy

Re: nodes with no tags

Mike Thompson
Andy,

Thanks for your reply.  I just visited that place in person (which was why I was doing edits in the area).  I can't think of anything observable on the ground that could be mapped where those nodes are that would also have been part of a Tiger Import.  If the community would prefer, I can just leave them.  Since I was doing edits in the area I thought I would clean them up.  BTW, I have seen this in other areas, and I have seen it before the redaction bot was run.  Although each case may be different, it seems that in general this is a common occurrence.

Mike

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 3:19 PM, SomeoneElse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mike Thompson wrote:
[...]

Roger Calvert
It is common - I quite often come across them. And I have several times caught myself making them by idly double-clicking when thinking of something else. I hope I have caught and removed all those I have made - if not, please remove them for me!

I am quite happy to blame software for some of them - no software is perfect. But this applies to the 'liveware' too.

Roger

PS there was also until recently a bug in Potlatch II which created nodes when the background image was changed - see http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/potlatch-dev/2012-September/001843.html.