open map for popular Gis

andrea giraldi
I'd like to have a comment or a suggestion on this
site that i prepeared as a part of my thesis in
Territory Planning. it's about the collection of
geo-information from social groups living in a place.
It's a map made with flash linked to wiki pages that
inhabitants can edit. I'm not able to make interaction
as in geowiki.com (wow) where people can directly add
graphic elements in the map, but I'm doing a
collaborative-mapping laboratory with local groups to
collect information on paper and then digitalize it on
the flash-map. At the moment it's quite empty, but
it's just a week that I'm working on it. It's all in
italian, sorry: www.mappeaperte.net
thank you
Andrea

Re: open map for popular Gis

Petter Reinholdtsen
[Andrea Giraldi]
> I'd like to have a comment or a suggestion on this site that i
> prepeared as a part of my thesis in Territory Planning. it's about
> the collection of geo-information from social groups living in a
> place.

Sounds interesting.

> It's a map made with flash linked to wiki pages that inhabitants can
> edit.

Oh, to bad.  I do not have working flash.  If only flash was an open
standard and had an free software implementation. :(

> I'm not able to make interaction as in geowiki.com (wow) where
> people can directly add graphic elements in the map, but I'm doing a
> collaborative-mapping laboratory with local groups to collect
> information on paper and then digitalize it on the flash-map. At the
> moment it's quite empty, but it's just a week that I'm working on
> it. It's all in italian, sorry: www.mappeaperte.net

I had a look, but with no Italian skills, I am mostly experiencing the
layout of
<URL:http://mappeaperte.net/wiki/index.php/Pagina_principale>. :)

Re: Re: open map for popular Gis

Richard Fairhurst
Petter wrote:

> [Andrea Giraldi]
>> It's a map made with flash linked to wiki pages that inhabitants can
>> edit.
>
> Oh, to bad.  I do not have working flash.  If only flash was an open
> standard and had an free software implementation. :(

Any thoughts on http://gplflash.sourceforge.net/ ?

I've not tried it, but it looks interesting, and development has
recently restarted.

Or, if you want to create SWFs, http://ming.sourceforge.net/ . I'm a
big fan of Ming - we've used it to create our new mapping system at
http://www.waterscape.com/ , my day job (which is the principal reason
I haven't had much time to do any free mapping stuff recently... we
launched last Wednesday). SWF has its faults but one great advantage:
the install base.

I'm hoping to use Ming for the second version of geowiki.com...
sometime. :-)

Richard

Re: open map for popular Gis

Petter Reinholdtsen

[Richard Fairhurst]
> Any thoughts on http://gplflash.sourceforge.net/ ?

Yes.  Please help the developers to make it usable. :)

(I've tested an earlier version, and keep an eye on the development,
but there is still more work left before it can be used on all
sites. :)

Re: Re: open map for popular Gis

Schuyler Erle
* On  4-Jul-2005 at  5:28AM PDT, Petter Reinholdtsen said:

> [Andrea Giraldi]
> > I'd like to have a comment or a suggestion on this site that i
> > prepeared as a part of my thesis in Territory Planning. it's about
> > the collection of geo-information from social groups living in a
> > place.
>
> Sounds interesting.
>
> > It's a map made with flash linked to wiki pages that inhabitants can
> > edit.
>
> Oh, to bad.  I do not have working flash.  If only flash was an open
> standard and had an free software implementation. :(

I have a working Flash and I still didn't see anything? Flash 7.0 in
Firefox 1.0.2 on Linux.

SDE

Re: Re: open map for popular Gis

frank mohr
Schuyler Erle wrote:

> I have a working Flash and I still didn't see anything? Flash 7.0 in
> Firefox 1.0.2 on Linux.

here it works
- Mozilla 1.7.8 (debian 2:1.7.8-1)
- flashplayer-mozilla (debian-marillat 7.0.25-woody0.0)

running on sarge

Frank

Re: Re: open map for popular Gis

Raphael Jacquot-2
Frank Mohr wrote:

> Schuyler Erle wrote:
>
>>I have a working Flash and I still didn't see anything? Flash 7.0 in
>>Firefox 1.0.2 on Linux.
>

> here it works
> - Mozilla 1.7.8 (debian 2:1.7.8-1)
> - flashplayer-mozilla (debian-marillat 7.0.25-woody0.0)
>
> running on sarge
>
> Frank

only works if you have an x86 box.
x86_64 need not apply :(