osm-editor

stevec-4
Hi Nick

Playing with a gpx with half a million trkpt's in it made osm-editor
grind to a halt. feature request: cache an image or whatever to make it
functional? :-)

Also, are there other gpx viewers for linux about? I remember at least
one other...

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.fractalus.com/steve/

Re: osm-editor

Nick Whitelegg-2

>Hi Nick

>Playing with a gpx with half a million trkpt's in it made osm-editor
>grind to a halt. feature request: cache an image or whatever to make it
>functional? :-)

Hello Steve (and anyone else interested....)

Have to admit I haven't really designed for half a million trackpoints,
more like up to four figures as that's what I work with. Will try and do it
when I get the time :-) Next thing I'm working on is a facility in Freemap
(which can be potentially extended to OpenStreetMap as a whole) to create
maps to display on your GPS unit, making use of the cGPSmapper package
(www.cgpsmapper.com). Also am keen to investigate the possibility of a rich
client based approach to web mapping using JavaScript, SVG and XML/HTTP
(see earlier post).

>Also, are there other gpx viewers for linux about? I remember at least
>one other...

There probably is for general GPX editing. However, I really wrote
osmeditor from scratch for a specific purpose: to allow the user to not
only edit GPX and download data from a GPS, but also to section off GPS
tracks into segments of different types - footpath, cycle path, road,
motorway etc.

BTW Freemap now shows possibly the best pubs in Central Hampshire and
walking routes between them :-)

Nick

Re: osm-editor

Schuyler Erle
* On  5-Jul-2005 at  7:38AM PDT, SteveC said:

> Also, are there other gpx viewers for linux about? I remember at least
> one other...

Yes, Quantum GIS (http://qgis.sf.net/) runs on Linux, Windows & OS X
and it has a GPX import plugin.

SDE

Re: osm-editor

Jo Walsh
On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 12:28:22PM -0700, Schuyler Erle wrote:
> > Also, are there other gpx viewers for linux about? I remember at least
> > one other...
>
> Yes, Quantum GIS (http://qgis.sf.net/) runs on Linux, Windows & OS X
> and it has a GPX import plugin.

i had some issues with it wiping out file contents so back up your
tracks just in case before experimenting with the plugin ;) no-one
else on #qgis (freenode) could reproduce this at the time and things
have moved on a lot since then.

specifically qgis 0.7pre now has a georeferencing capability (which
you have to specify at ./configure time) and allegedly also has
line/shape drawing capacity, and backend support for postgis and GRASS
increasingly. i'd like to try using qgis at the map limehouse
workshop, especially if we can get the feature drawing working - and
perhaps write an osm-upload plugin.

yay re the move to ruby, am inspired to learn and play soonish.

zx

Re: osm-editor

stevec-4
I settled on mapeditor

Why the hell if I google 'gpx viewer linux' (or whatever) don't these
things come up? Sigh.