[osmosis-dev] Latest osc change file returns empty xml.

[osmosis-dev] Latest osc change file returns empty xml.

Osmosis Development mailing list
Hi
Is the following expected behaviour, if so I'm misunderstanding something:

I followed the instructions here to obtain the latest diff file for
Great Britain from Geofabrik:
obtain the latest diff file:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Planet.osm/diffs#Using_Osmosis

I'm using osmosis --rri workingDirectory=. --wxc GB.osc.gz
I amended configuration.txt to point to the GB folder:
baseUrl=http://download.geofabrik.de/europe/great-britain-updates

Running the command it completed it's task, but the osc file contained
an empty xml file:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<osmChange version="0.6" generator="Osmosis 0.48.3">
</osmChange>

If I amended the state.txt file from
http://download.geofabrik.de/europe/great-britain-updates/000/002/ to a
previous date it obtains the diff data as expected. It's only with the
latest version that the problem occurs. What am I not comprehending?

On other Q:
As the update interval for Geofabrik is 24 hours, should I amend this
value in the configuration.txt file to suit:
maxInterval = 3600

Cheers
DaveF

Re: [osmosis-dev] Latest osc change file returns empty xml.

Frederik Ramm
Hi,

On 11/14/20 21:19, Dave F via osmosis-dev wrote:
> I'm using osmosis --rri workingDirectory=. --wxc GB.osc.gz
> I amended configuration.txt to point to the GB folder:
> baseUrl=http://download.geofabrik.de/europe/great-britain-updates
>
> Running the command it completed it's task, but the osc file contained
> an empty xml file:

Is it possible that you have accidentally set your replication state to
the current state? If you download the Great Britain file now, and set
the appropriate state.txt value, then the expected result of running
osmosis is an empty XML file because there are no changes available.

As of this writing, the /europe/great-britain-updates/state.txt says
sequenceNumber=2791 and running osmosis with that will yield an empty
file, until such time as the state.txt on the server points to a
sequenceNumber of 2792.

> On other Q:
> As the update interval for Geofabrik is 24 hours, should I amend this
> value in the configuration.txt file to suit:
> maxInterval = 3600

It does not make a difference; any maxInterval between 1 and 86400
should behave the same, as each would pick exactly one update per run.

Bye
Frederik