[osmosis-dev] NOTIVE: table "actions" does not exist, skipping

[osmosis-dev] NOTIVE: table "actions" does not exist, skipping

Pander
Hi all,

I am following instructions from
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis/PostGIS_Setup to run a
database with an export of a country from Geofabrik.

When I run

    sudo -u postgres psql -d gis -f
/usr/share/doc/osmosis/examples/pgsnapshot_schema_0.6.sql

I get this message

    psql:/usr/share/doc/osmosis/examples/pgsnapshot_schema_0.6.sql:4:
NOTICE:  table "actions" does not exist, skipping

Is this a bug which I should report in trac?

Also the page offers the command

    sudo -u postgres psql -d gis -f
/usr/share/doc/osmosis/examples/pgsnapshot_schema_0.6_linestring.sql

when I want longstring support, but there is no information on which I
should base my decision. Where can I find more information or what is
recommended for my goal here?

Thanks,

Pander

Re: [osmosis-dev] NOTIVE: table "actions" does not exist, skipping

Sebastiaan Couwenberg
On 05/28/2017 03:01 PM, Pander wrote:

> I am following instructions from
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis/PostGIS_Setup to run a
> database with an export of a country from Geofabrik.
>
> When I run
>
>     sudo -u postgres psql -d gis -f
> /usr/share/doc/osmosis/examples/pgsnapshot_schema_0.6.sql
>
> I get this message
>
>     psql:/usr/share/doc/osmosis/examples/pgsnapshot_schema_0.6.sql:4:
> NOTICE:  table "actions" does not exist, skipping
>
> Is this a bug which I should report in trac?

No, it's just a notice that the "DROP TABLE IF EXISTS actions;" query
did not delete the table because it doesn't exist.

> Also the page offers the command
>
>     sudo -u postgres psql -d gis -f
> /usr/share/doc/osmosis/examples/pgsnapshot_schema_0.6_linestring.sql
>
> when I want longstring support, but there is no information on which I
> should base my decision. Where can I find more information or what is
> recommended for my goal here?

It all depends on what you want to do with the database. Applying the
_action, _bbox & _linestring SQL scripts in addition to the basic schema
gives you more tables and geometry columns for spatial queries which you
then don't need to construct yourself.

Have a look at the comments on the top of those files for their purpose.
If you don't need that, you can skip applying those scripts.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1

On 05/28/2017 03:21 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:

> On 05/28/2017 03:01 PM, Pander wrote:
>> I am following instructions from
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis/PostGIS_Setup to run a
>> database with an export of a country from Geofabrik.
>>
>> When I run
>>
>>     sudo -u postgres psql -d gis -f
>> /usr/share/doc/osmosis/examples/pgsnapshot_schema_0.6.sql
>>
>> I get this message
>>
>>     psql:/usr/share/doc/osmosis/examples/pgsnapshot_schema_0.6.sql:4:
>> NOTICE:  table "actions" does not exist, skipping
>>
>> Is this a bug which I should report in trac?
>
> No, it's just a notice that the "DROP TABLE IF EXISTS actions;" query
> did not delete the table because it doesn't exist.

Thanks.

>> Also the page offers the command
>>
>>     sudo -u postgres psql -d gis -f
>> /usr/share/doc/osmosis/examples/pgsnapshot_schema_0.6_linestring.sql
>>
>> when I want longstring support, but there is no information on which I
>> should base my decision. Where can I find more information or what is
>> recommended for my goal here?
>
> It all depends on what you want to do with the database. Applying the
> _action, _bbox & _linestring SQL scripts in addition to the basic schema
> gives you more tables and geometry columns for spatial queries which you
> then don't need to construct yourself.

Correct that bbox and linestring are relevant when you are going to
calculate routing? And action when you are makeing changes to the database?

My goal is to have a database which updates daily and I am only going to
run queries on it (no routing) and I am not going to make changes to the
data. So it is correct that none of these extra script are useful in my
case?

Best, Pander

On 05/28/2017 03:49 PM, Pander wrote:

> On 05/28/2017 03:21 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>> On 05/28/2017 03:01 PM, Pander wrote:
>>> Also the page offers the command
>>>
>>>     sudo -u postgres psql -d gis -f
>>> /usr/share/doc/osmosis/examples/pgsnapshot_schema_0.6_linestring.sql
>>>
>>> when I want longstring support, but there is no information on which I
>>> should base my decision. Where can I find more information or what is
>>> recommended for my goal here?
>>
>> It all depends on what you want to do with the database. Applying the
>> _action, _bbox & _linestring SQL scripts in addition to the basic schema
>> gives you more tables and geometry columns for spatial queries which you
>> then don't need to construct yourself.
>
> Correct that bbox and linestring are relevant when you are going to
> calculate routing? And action when you are makeing changes to the database?

Not per se. The bbox and linestring changes can be used for various
cases. E.g. highlighting the bbox for a selected way as an obvious example.

The linestring column is very useful to not need to construct the
feature yourself from the individual nodes.

The actions table is used when applying diffs:

"
 Adds the optional "action" table which allows derivative tables to be
 kept up to date when diffs are applied.
"

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis/Detailed_Usage_0.45#PostGIS_Tasks_.28Snapshot_Schema.29

> My goal is to have a database which updates daily and I am only going to
> run queries on it (no routing) and I am not going to make changes to the
> data. So it is correct that none of these extra script are useful in my
> case?

It depends on your queries. Try your use case with just the minimal
schema and add what you need based on that experience.

Kind Regards,

Bas

On 05/28/2017 03:59 PM, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:

> On 05/28/2017 03:49 PM, Pander wrote:

>>> It all depends on what you want to do with the database. Applying the
>>> _action, _bbox & _linestring SQL scripts in addition to the basic schema
>>> gives you more tables and geometry columns for spatial queries which you
>>> then don't need to construct yourself.
>>
>> Correct that bbox and linestring are relevant when you are going to
>> calculate routing? And action when you are makeing changes to the database?
>
> Not per se. The bbox and linestring changes can be used for various
> cases. E.g. highlighting the bbox for a selected way as an obvious example.
>
> The linestring column is very useful to not need to construct the
> feature yourself from the individual nodes.
>
> The actions table is used when applying diffs:
>
> "
>  Adds the optional "action" table which allows derivative tables to be
>  kept up to date when diffs are applied.
> "
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis/Detailed_Usage_0.45#PostGIS_Tasks_.28Snapshot_Schema.29
>
>> My goal is to have a database which updates daily and I am only going to
>> run queries on it (no routing) and I am not going to make changes to the
>> data. So it is correct that none of these extra script are useful in my
>> case?
>
> It depends on your queries. Try your use case with just the minimal
> schema and add what you need based on that experience.

Thanks. I will add this information also to the wiki.

I found a number of small issues with setting up postgis and have
updated the wiki and added some questions to:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:PostGIS/Installation