[osmosis-dev] Osmosis 0.47 Release

Brett Henderson

  • Build using Java 11 now that Java has moved to a 6 month release cycle with no (free) long term support.
  • Use https for all replication URLs.
  • Use single-threaded PBF reading by default.
  • Add support for PBF way location attributes.
  • Remove customdb dataset implementation.  It performed poorly and was superseded long ago by pgsimple/pgsnapshot.
  • Fix munin replication lag shell script.
  • Modify --write-apidb to commit every 10000 to allow large databases to be populated.
  • Fix --write-apidb-change to correctly write way history.

Let me know if you see any issues.

It's a good time to mention that this will probably be the last Osmosis release I make.  I first starting hacking on Osmosis in April 2007, and after 11 years it feels like time to finally let it go.  I haven't spent much time in the OpenStreetMap world for a number of years, but Osmosis has been largely superseded by better/faster tools such as Osmium.  Osmosis itself is really showing its age.  In its day it helped move OpenStreetMap forward, in particular making it possible to replicate data around in a timely and efficient manner, but that's a well solved problem now.  The version of Osmosis building the daily/hourly/minute changesets is _many_ years old and yet remains compatible with the latest version, not much has changed.

I've kept the lights on for a number of years by accepting PRs, doing basic maintenance such as library and java updates, and making it easier to build/test through changes such as Dockerising the build.  But even that can be time consuming, and I struggle to find the time to do it properly.

The code is all in the public domain, so if anybody wishes to continue to hack away on it they are very welcome to do so.  If anybody wants to take on release management duties, let me know, and I'll help them get access to some of the key infrastructure such as the dev server for hosting distribution binaries, Maven Central artefact upload  process, and GitHub git repository.

Cheers,
Brett

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 05:35 Martijn van Exel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Brett -- I don't use Osmosis much anymore, but the tool has been instrumental to my learning how to work with OSM data. Thank you very much for creating and maintaining it for all these years.

Martijn van Exel

Thanks, Martijn!  It's much appreciated.

Re: [osmosis-dev] Osmosis 0.47 Release

Ariel Nunez
I promoted the use of osmosis when I was working at the World Bank. Our clients would use it to bootstrap country specific data sharing tools for development programs and disaster prevention.

So long and thanks for all the diffs.

-a

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 12:22 Ariel Nunez <[hidden email]> wrote:
I promoted the use of osmosis when I was working at the World Bank. Our clients would use it to bootstrap country specific data sharing tools for development programs and disaster prevention.

Awesome!  It's great when you discover your software being used in new and interesting ways.

So long and thanks for all the diffs.

Haha, nice one.