overpass setup w/o root access

Richard Welty-2
we're looking to reinstall Overpass on the OpenHistoricalMap server after
an extended outage (don't ask.) the new server has some restrictions on root
access that create some complicating factors. i'm trying to prepare a
summary
of what root is and is not needed for, assuming that an overpass user is
created and most of the work can be done there.

the one issue i'm unsure of is setting up access to the logs for minutely
updates. does anyone have any experience or good advice for us on this
point?

thanks,
    richard

 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search

Re: overpass setup w/o root access

Roland Olbricht
> i'm trying to prepare a summary of what root is and is not needed for, assuming that an overpass user is
> created and most of the work can be done there.

That is indeed correct. There should be a user that owns the directory
where the database is stored. The same user should run the update
scripts and start the dispatcher.

The user for the web server can and will usually be distinct. The user
for the web server needs access to that directory and the right to
execute the interpreter binary.

You may need root permissions once to configure in the web server the
CGI directory. On the other hand, on the Rambler instance, the web
server has been pre-configured, and I never have needed in all the years
root access.

> the one issue i'm unsure of is setting up access to the logs for minutely
> updates. does anyone have any experience or good advice for us on this
> point?

I'm not sure what you mean here. The logging file is written to the
database directory. Depeding on the way of updating, there might or
might not be a second directory containing the minute diffs and a log of
the download times.

Both directories should be, as mentioned before, under control of the
single normal user that runs the Overpass service.

Best regards,
Roland