photon

Christoph Lingg | komoot
Dear all,

we want to let you know that we have just released version 0.1 of photon. It is a geocoder based upon elasticsearch, features we provide already are:

 - Typeahead suggestion
 - Fast responses
 - Scalability
 - Multilingual
 - Typo tolerance
 - Minutely up to date OSM data
 - Easy setup

There are prepared dumps available, which makes it very simple to setup your own instance. But we provide also a public API available on our product page: http://photon.komoot.de . More technical information is available on our github page: https://github.com/komoot/photon

Give it a try and let us know what you think about it!

Cheers,
Christoph

Re: photon

Serge Wroclawski-2
Easy setup? The previous version required nominatim. What about the current one?

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 4:55 AM, Christoph Lingg | komoot
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> we want to let you know that we have just released version 0.1 of photon. It is a geocoder based upon elasticsearch, features we provide already are:
>
>  - Typeahead suggestion
>  - Fast responses
>  - Scalability
>  - Multilingual
>  - Typo tolerance
>  - Minutely up to date OSM data
>  - Easy setup
>
> There are prepared dumps available, which makes it very simple to setup your own instance. But we provide also a public API available on our product page: http://photon.komoot.de . More technical information is available on our github page: https://github.com/komoot/photon
>
> Give it a try and let us know what you think about it!
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

Re: photon

Christoph Lingg | komoot

> Easy setup? The previous version required nominatim. What about the current one?

nominatim is not needed (unless you need continuous updates). We provide indexed search data to download, so you only need to execute a bunch of commands, the only requirement is java.

> On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 4:55 AM, Christoph Lingg | komoot
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> we want to let you know that we have just released version 0.1 of photon. It is a geocoder based upon elasticsearch, features we provide already are:
>>
>> - Typeahead suggestion
>> - Fast responses
>> - Scalability
>> - Multilingual
>> - Typo tolerance
>> - Minutely up to date OSM data
>> - Easy setup
>>
>> There are prepared dumps available, which makes it very simple to setup your own instance. But we provide also a public API available on our product page: http://photon.komoot.de . More technical information is available on our github page: https://github.com/komoot/photon
>>
>> Give it a try and let us know what you think about it!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Christoph

Re: photon

Dave F.
Hi

Just had a brief play with it. I may be being a bit dim, but 'geocoder'
doesn't really explain that it's a utility to search the map's database.
Maybe a brief, simple explanation for newbies?

Does it search within relations?

On the http://photon.komoot.de site:
In the 'Try me' box:
   Pasting a name fails to search for anything
   I'm unable to highlight/select just part of what I've typed to delete
it.

When it does find an entity the text in the the marker's popup bubble is
too faint.

Cheers
Dave F.

On 14/08/2014 09:55, Christoph Lingg | komoot wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> we want to let you know that we have just released version 0.1 of photon. It is a geocoder based upon elasticsearch, features we provide already are:
>
>   - Typeahead suggestion
>   - Fast responses
>   - Scalability
>   - Multilingual
>   - Typo tolerance
>   - Minutely up to date OSM data
>   - Easy setup
>
> There are prepared dumps available, which makes it very simple to setup your own instance. But we provide also a public API available on our product page: http://photon.komoot.de . More technical information is available on our github page: https://github.com/komoot/photon
>
> Give it a try and let us know what you think about it!
>
> Cheers,
> Christoph

---