preventing the creation of udigWorkspace

preventing the creation of udigWorkspace

Carlos Grohmann
Hello all,
I'm new to this list and uDgig, although not to GIS (I've been using
GRASS+R for a few years).

Since I've been working with GIS for a while, I have a diectory
(gisdata) where I keep all my stuff (GRASS-stuff, QGIS-stufd, etc).
So, it is only loguical for me to keep using that directory also for
my uDig-stuff. Despite the fact that I can change the working
directory in run-time, what I want is to make my 'gisdata' directory
the default for uDig, so it will *always* use it (I really don't want
to have to change it everytime) and also to prevent the udigworkspace
directory from been created *ever* (I also don't like to have to
delete it all the time).

Many thanks

--
Prof. Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Geologist D.Sc.
Institute of Geosciences - Univ. of São Paulo, Brazil

Re: preventing the creation of udigWorkspace

Andrea Antonello
Hi Carlos,
it is easy to change the udig workspace dir.

Just open up the udig.sh script that you launch udig with and search
for the line that contains:
-data ~/uDigWorkspace

Change it to whatever suits your case.

Andrea

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Carlos Grohmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I'm new to this list and uDgig, although not to GIS (I've been using
> GRASS+R for a few years).
>
> Since I've been working with GIS for a while, I have a diectory
> (gisdata) where I keep all my stuff (GRASS-stuff, QGIS-stufd, etc).
> So, it is only loguical for me to keep using that directory also for
> my uDig-stuff. Despite the fact that I can change the working
> directory in run-time, what I want is to make my 'gisdata' directory
> the default for uDig, so it will *always* use it (I really don't want
> to have to change it everytime) and also to prevent the udigworkspace
> directory from been created *ever* (I also don't like to have to
> delete it all the time).
>
> Many thanks
>
> --
> Prof. Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Geologist D.Sc.
> Institute of Geosciences - Univ. of São Paulo, Brazil
> http://www.igc.usp.br/pessoais/guano
> http://lattes.cnpq.br/5846052449613692
> Linux User #89721

Re: preventing the creation of udigWorkspace

Jody Garnett-2
Thanks Andrea;

This information is also available in the online help and online:
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Running+uDig

(There is a link to this page from walkthrough 1 - perhaps we should
include it in walkthrough 1).

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 6:29 AM, andrea antonello
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Carlos,
> it is easy to change the udig workspace dir.
>
> Just open up the udig.sh script that you launch udig with and search
> for the line that contains:
> -data ~/uDigWorkspace
>
> Change it to whatever suits your case.
>
> Andrea
>

> On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Carlos Grohmann
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> I'm new to this list and uDgig, although not to GIS (I've been using
>> GRASS+R for a few years).
>>
>> Since I've been working with GIS for a while, I have a diectory
>> (gisdata) where I keep all my stuff (GRASS-stuff, QGIS-stufd, etc).
>> So, it is only loguical for me to keep using that directory also for
>> my uDig-stuff. Despite the fact that I can change the working
>> directory in run-time, what I want is to make my 'gisdata' directory
>> the default for uDig, so it will *always* use it (I really don't want
>> to have to change it everytime) and also to prevent the udigworkspace
>> directory from been created *ever* (I also don't like to have to
>> delete it all the time).
>>
>> Many thanks
>>
>> --
>> Prof. Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Geologist D.Sc.
>> Institute of Geosciences - Univ. of São Paulo, Brazil
>> http://www.igc.usp.br/pessoais/guano
>> http://lattes.cnpq.br/5846052449613692
>> Linux User #89721

Re: preventing the creation of udigWorkspace

Carlos Grohmann
Many thanks Andrea.

I noticed that it still creates uDigWorkspace *inside* my directory of
choice, but that's not a real problem.

cheers

Carlos