proprietary and unrelated images on the about page

proprietary and unrelated images on the about page

dieterdreist
Going from left to right, of 4 (identifiable) images only 1 is OSM related (the watercolour rendering), while the mapbox rendering doesn't show osm data (besides maybe the coastline), the country map is apparently created by mapquest from proprietary data: http://mapq.st/IxufcH and the image to the right shows 3D-elevation contours, something that OSM doesn't offer or provide.

cheers,

Re: proprietary and unrelated images on the about page

Pieren
On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Going from left to right, of 4 (identifiable) images only 1 is OSM related
> (the watercolour rendering), while the mapbox rendering doesn't show osm
> data (besides maybe the coastline), the country map is apparently created by
> mapquest from proprietary data: http://mapq.st/IxufcH and the image to the
> right shows 3D-elevation contours, something that OSM doesn't offer or
> provide.

For sure, contour lines are not part of OSM but it makes nice images.
It's all about marketing ;-)

Pieren

2013/12/2 Pieren <[hidden email]>
For sure, contour lines are not part of OSM but it makes nice images.
It's all about marketing ;-)

While I agree that the image is visually appealing, I still dispute that it is suitable for representing OSM on our main "about" page. We do have lots of lots of OSM-related images and different maps based on OSM to choose 4 images from (e.g. the images of the week), we really shouldn't use proprietary imagery from Mapquest or unrelated srtm data and NASA imagery for this scope.

cheers,

Re: proprietary and unrelated images on the about page

Kathleen Danielson
Hi Martin,

Can you provide some compelling examples of images that you'd like to see us using instead?

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]> wrote:

2013/12/2 Pieren <[hidden email]>
For sure, contour lines are not part of OSM but it makes nice images.
It's all about marketing ;-)

While I agree that the image is visually appealing, I still dispute that it is suitable for representing OSM on our main "about" page. We do have lots of lots of OSM-related images and different maps based on OSM to choose 4 images from (e.g. the images of the week), we really shouldn't use proprietary imagery from Mapquest or unrelated srtm data and NASA imagery for this scope.

cheers,

Re: proprietary and unrelated images on the about page

Richard Weait
On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Kathleen Danielson
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Can you provide some compelling examples of images that you'd like to see us
> using instead?

It isn't easy is it?  No rendering will satisfy everyone, and even a
collection of renderings will miss out on representing OpenStreetMap
in all of our glory.

I won't get into offering draft images, that isn't my thing.  I'll
leave that to the pixel pros.  But here are some thoughts:

- do we need an image?  An heretical idea, I know.  I'm not mocking
those who love pictures.  But how important is it to have a mosaic of
renderings on the about page?

- rather than a rendering or mosaic of renderings, how about a
more-human image?  Something with people in it? Yes, "model releases",
and a list of other concerns.  Back in the dawn of time, CloudMade had
a banner image with a person holding a GPS, suggesting that a human
doing a site survey is important.  Seems that image is gone now?

- what about an image that suggests a solution that OpenStreetMap
provides or enables?  Ideally, an image that demonstrates that Open
Data and Local Geo-genius can improve your day or save your life.
Open Data allows you to serve an audience that might not be otherwise
commercially viable to serve. I'll leave the composition of that image
as an exercise for the reader.

So, yeah.  Not easy.

Re: proprietary and unrelated images on the about page

Christoph Hormann
On Monday 02 December 2013, Kathleen Danielson wrote:

> Can you provide some compelling examples of images that you'd like to
> see us using instead?

TopOSM:

http://toposm.ahlzen.com/
(various examples on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TopOSM)

OpenSeaMap:

http://map.openseamap.org/?zoom=14&lat=56.04136&lon=12.63945&layers=BFTFFFTFFFT0FFFFFFFF

OSM2World:

http://maps.osm2world.org/?h=128&view=W&zoom=16&lat=48.57188&lon=13.46038&layers=B0FFFF

The Heat maps from:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/SotM_2011_session:_Insert_Coin_To_Play

The normal map in regions with non-latin script (demonstrating the
international and multilingual character of the project):

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/36.8092/10.1738
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/32.0951/34.7996
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/35.7375/51.5014
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/39.9178/116.3833

or the Multilingual map (http://mlm.jochentopf.com/)

I know combining such to an image with harmonic colors is not easy but
for this purpose it would be perfectly acceptable to tweak the colors
of the various maps for an appealing collage.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/

Re: proprietary and unrelated images on the about page

dieterdreist

2013/12/2 Christoph Hormann <[hidden email]>

TopOSM:

OpenSeaMap:

OSM2World:

The Heat maps from:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/SotM_2011_session:_Insert_Coin_To_Play

The normal map in regions with non-latin script (demonstrating the
international and multilingual character of the project):

or the Multilingual map (http://mlm.jochentopf.com/)

+1

and many more individual mapstyles including work from stamen, mapbox, non-mapnik renderings, ...

If it shall be maps. Richard's idea of showing people is very appealing. E.g. it could be the group photo of the last sotm like this: http://2013.stateofthemap.org/files/8113/7871/7695/sotmGroupB1170x350.jpg

Re: proprietary and unrelated images on the about page

Robert Scott

On Monday 02 December 2013, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> Opencyclemap.org
> opencyclemap.org/?zoom=11&lat=40.7322&lon=-73.95491&layers=B000
>
> ÖPNV-Karte
> http://öpnvkarte.de/?zoom=13&lat=51.50521&lon=-0.14401&layers=TBTTT<http://xn--pnvkarte-m4a.de/?zoom=13&lat=51.50521&lon=-0.14401&layers=TBTTT>
>
> and many more individual mapstyles including work from stamen, mapbox,
> non-mapnik renderings, ...

I am fairly certain each and every one of these suggestions has already been featured as an image of the week. Those of you on IRC will know that every week Harry dutifully runs around asking people for suggestions and submissions for a new image of the week, and things that aren't repeats are getting fairly thin on the ground now after n hundred IotWs.

I am sure Harry would be only too happy to accept help with the IotW maintenance task if you were willing to provide it, but only if you're able to help in providing non-repetitious images.

robert.

(or maybe, looking at the wider view, people want to debate whether repeats are "ok"?)