"The Future of Free and Open-Source Maps" Slashdot.org , Saturday February 17, 2018

Re: "The Future of Free and Open-Source Maps" Slashdot.org , Saturday February 17, 2018

joost
This discussion shows once again how great we are at generating smart ideas. That definitely is not our problem. But all ideas are equal and will only get executed if the one who posited them executes them. As the project becomes more complex, that means you can either play in a corner by yourself, or try to effect change as an individual. It also means power to the devs and the time-rich, not to the community at large. None of which is optimal.
We need a way to turn a thread into competing ideas, and to turn winning ideas into actions. I'm not sure how we can do that, but I'm enthousiastic about Bryan Housel's just-do-it project of using a github issue tracker for that (see his position statement for the OSM-US elections [1]). I agree with emacsen that having such things run by a single developer is probably the worst possible solution, but I think this is a good enough idea to be worth a shot for being organised at OSMF level.

Re: "The Future of Free and Open-Source Maps" Slashdot.org , Saturday February 17, 2018

SimonPoole

I replied to joosts mail here https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2018-February/005082.html