"part:wikidata=*" tag proposal for multiple elements connected to the same wikidata id

"part:wikidata=*" tag proposal for multiple elements connected to the same wikidata id

Janko Mihelić
Last year there was a little discussion about unique wikidata ids in the openstreetmap database:

It was more or less decided there was no problem with this. Nevertheless, I think we should consider having a hard rule of "A Wikidata item cannot be connected to more than one OSM item".

Problems with not enforcing this rule:

- the problem of a partially downloaded database, where one is never sure if a wikidata item is fully downloaded unless the whole database is downloaded.

- we could get a flood of wikidata tags where one would, for example, tag every building in a town with the wikidata id of the town, because that building is a part of the town. Is that wrong tagging? Well, if the above rule is not in place, I'm not sure.

- if a road segment has two road routes that are using it, then we should tag it as "wikidata=Q1234;Q5678". That means, if we want to find any wikidata id, we should be prepared to parse all wikidata tags and be prepared for semicolons. This slows down any wikidata searches

- we can't enforce some rules like "tag leisure=stadium can only be connected to something that is, or is derived from Q483110 (Stadium) in Wikidata" because, if we tag all the parts of an entity, we can also tag a water fountain in the stadium, because that is a part of it.

So I propose we enforce this rule, and we tag, for example, railways only on the route relation.

If one wants to tag all route segments with a wikidata tag, I propose a general usage "part:wikidata=*" which would be used when a single wikidata tag just isn't viable. Proposal wiki page here:

Thanks for reading,
Janko Mihelić

Re: "part:wikidata=*" tag proposal for multiple elements connected to the same wikidata id

Tordanik
On 08.09.19 18:26, Janko Mihelić wrote:
On Fri, Sep 6, 2019, 15:05 Janko Mihelić wrote:
>     "*A Wikidata item cannot be connected to more than one OSM item*".
[...]
>     If one wants to tag all route segments with a wikidata tag, I
>     propose a general usage "*part:wikidata=**" which would be used when
>     a single wikidata tag just isn't viable. Proposal wiki page here:
>
>     https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/part:wikidata

Seems reasonable enough to me. It upholds the (generally desirable) 1:1
relationship while offering a realistic solution for items where there
is no single OSM element representing the feature as a whole. Streets
are probably the most prominent example where this would be used.

Re: "part:wikidata=*" tag proposal for multiple elements connected to the same wikidata id

Mateusz Konieczny-3
I think that it is fine to repeat
Wikipedia link
(so probably also its Wikidata equivalent)
in some cases:
- streets with Wikipedia article
- structure that combines for example footway bridge and Weir
- beach with Wikipedia article split into parts
due to differing surfaces
etc

8 Sep 2019, 19:26 by [hidden email]:
[...]

Imre Samu
Thanks for the proposal,

> I think we should consider having a hard rule of "A Wikidata item cannot be connected to more than one OSM item".

the 1:1 relationship is not so easy.
What is your proposal for  Monaco (Q235) ? https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q235
- 2 nodes
- 3 relations
Which OSM object will be the real "Monaco"?

thanks,
 Imre

ned, 8. ruj 2019. u 23:17 Imre Samu <[hidden email]> napisao je:
the 1:1 relationship is not so easy.
What is your proposal for  Monaco (Q235) ? https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q235
- 2 nodes
- 3 relations
Which OSM object will be the real "Monaco"?

Relation 1124039 should be  the only one with the wikidata tag. It's the only one that represents the country (boundary=administrative + admin_level=2), which the wikipedia article is about.
Relation 2220322 is a city (place=city). Wikipedia article is about the country.
Relation 36990 is land area of a country (boundary=land_area). Not quite sure what it's used for, but it's not a boundary of a country.
Nodes are helpers for label placement, which are not widely used by renderers anymore.

Janko

Re: "part:wikidata=*" tag proposal for multiple elements connected to the same wikidata id

Imre Samu
>> Which OSM object will be the real "Monaco"?
> Relation 1124039 should be  the only one with the wikidata tag.
> It's the only one that represents the country (boundary=administrative + admin_level=2), which the wikipedia article is about.
> Relation 2220322 is a city (place=city). Wikipedia article is about the country.
instance of(P31)
- "city-state"  ->  r2220322 (place=city)
- AND "country"    ->  r1124039  (country )

so  1:2 relationship  ( 1 wikidata : 2 osm object)  is correct.

Janko Mihelić <[hidden email]> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. szept. 9., H, 0:54):
[...]

Joseph Eisenberg
Also see Singapore: it's an island, city and country. And more?

 https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q334 - instance of
Q3624078 sovereign state,
Q133442, city-state,
Q112099 island nation,
Q515 city
Q2264924 port city
Q6256 country

It looks like there is a separate entry for the main island:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q1054746 - probably because there is a
separate wikipedia article.

- Joseph

On 9/9/19, Imre Samu <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Which OSM object will be the real "Monaco"?
>> Relation 1124039 should be  the only one with the wikidata tag.
>> It's the only one that represents the country (boundary=administrative +
> admin_level=2), which the wikipedia article is about.
>> Relation 2220322 is a city (place=city). Wikipedia article is about the
> country.
>
> imho: Monaco ( https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q235 )
> instance of(P31)
> - "city-state"  ->  r2220322 (place=city)
> - AND "country"    ->  r1124039  (country )
>
> so  1:2 relationship  ( 1 wikidata : 2 osm object)  is correct.
> Monaco is a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City-state
>

> Janko Mihelić <[hidden email]> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. szept. 9., H,
> 0:54):
>
>> ned, 8. ruj 2019. u 23:17 Imre Samu <[hidden email]> napisao je:
>>
>>> the 1:1 relationship is not so easy.
>>> What is your proposal for  Monaco (Q235) ?
>>> https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q235
>>> now: https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/wikidata=Q235#overview
>>> - 2 nodes
>>> - 3 relations
>>> Which OSM object will be the real "Monaco"?
>>>

>> Relation 1124039 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1124039> should
>> be  the only one with the wikidata tag. It's the only one that represents
>> the country (boundary=administrative + admin_level=2), which the
>> wikipedia
>> article is about.
>> Relation 2220322 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2220322> is a
>> city (place=city). Wikipedia article is about the country.
>> Relation 36990 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/36990> is land
>> area of a country (boundary=land_area). Not quite sure what it's used
>> for,
>> but it's not a boundary of a country.
>> Nodes are helpers for label placement, which are not widely used by
>> renderers anymore.
>>
>> Janko

Re: "part:wikidata=*" tag proposal for multiple elements connected to the same wikidata id

Janko Mihelić
Monaco is a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City-state

I'm not convinced. If city-state is a city and a state in one, then why do we have two objects in Openstreetmap? Then it should be one relation with admin_level=2 + place=city. As I understand, City-state doesn't mean it is a dual entity, it means this is a special kind of state, that is consisted only of one city.

But if it really is a dual entity, then this tag is made for it, put part:wikidata=Q235 on both. But I don't think this is the case.

Janko

pon, 9. ruj 2019. u 04:26 Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]> napisao je:
Also see Singapore: it's an island, city and country. And more?

It's quite obvious Q334 is not about the island, it's about the city-state. So wikidata=334 on relation 1769123 is just wrong. It should be wikidata=Q1054746.

Janko

Re: "part:wikidata=*" tag proposal for multiple elements connected to the same wikidata id

Imre Samu
>I'm not convinced. If city-state is a city and a state in one, then why do we have two objects in Openstreetmap?

imho: compatibility with (old) osm softwares; (old) data models

- has a lot of  "name:*"    tags.
- then later wikipedia and wikidata tags has been added
- now lot of rendering software can extend the name translations from the linked wikidata label. ( solving the licensing and tag inflation problems )

So some softwares using the wikidata for labeling.
Imho:    the real problem, why we have multiple objects for "name:*"   tags? ( admin_centre, label, relation, ... )

Janko Mihelić <[hidden email]> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. szept. 9., H, 10:48):
Monaco is a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City-state

I'm not convinced. If city-state is a city and a state in one, then why do we have two objects in Openstreetmap? Then it should be one relation with admin_level=2 + place=city. As I understand, City-state doesn't mean it is a dual entity, it means this is a special kind of state, that is consisted only of one city.

But if it really is a dual entity, then this tag is made for it, put part:wikidata=Q235 on both. But I don't think this is the case.

Janko

pon, 9. ruj 2019. u 02:58 Imre Samu <[hidden email]> napisao je:
>> Which OSM object will be the real "Monaco"?
> Relation 1124039 should be  the only one with the wikidata tag.
> It's the only one that represents the country (boundary=administrative + admin_level=2), which the wikipedia article is about.
> Relation 2220322 is a city (place=city). Wikipedia article is about the country.
instance of(P31)
- "city-state"  ->  r2220322 (place=city)
- AND "country"    ->  r1124039  (country )

so  1:2 relationship  ( 1 wikidata : 2 osm object)  is correct.

Janko Mihelić <[hidden email]> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. szept. 9., H, 0:54):
ned, 8. ruj 2019. u 23:17 Imre Samu <[hidden email]> napisao je:
the 1:1 relationship is not so easy.
What is your proposal for  Monaco (Q235) ? https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q235
- 2 nodes
- 3 relations
Which OSM object will be the real "Monaco"?

Relation 1124039 should be  the only one with the wikidata tag. It's the only one that represents the country (boundary=administrative + admin_level=2), which the wikipedia article is about.
Relation 2220322 is a city (place=city). Wikipedia article is about the country.
Relation 36990 is land area of a country (boundary=land_area). Not quite sure what it's used for, but it's not a boundary of a country.
Nodes are helpers for label placement, which are not widely used by renderers anymore.

Janko

Re: "part:wikidata=*" tag proposal for multiple elements connected to the same wikidata id

Joseph Eisenberg
Settlements such as place=city are mapped as nodes, not areas, because
the centre of the settlement called "Monaco" is different than the
administrative boundary of the city-state of the same name. The island
of Singapore is mapped as a different feature than the Country
boundary=administrative, and the city itself is mapped with a node in
the centre of "downtown".

Wikidata does not always match the way things are in Openstreetmap - I
believe we do a better job of mapping reality, which means that
sometimes there are multiple features in OSM for something that
appears once in Wikidata.

On 9/9/19, Janko Mihelić <[hidden email]> wrote:

> pon, 9. ruj 2019. u 04:26 Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
> napisao je:
>
>> Also see Singapore: it's an island, city and country. And more?
>>

> It's quite obvious Q334 is not about the island, it's about the city-state.
> So wikidata=334 on relation 1769123
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1769123> is just wrong. It should
> be wikidata=Q1054746 <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q1054746>.
>
> Janko

Re: "part:wikidata=*" tag proposal for multiple elements connected to the same wikidata id

Mateusz Konieczny-3

9 Sep 2019, 15:14 by [hidden email]:
Imho:    the real problem, why we have multiple objects for "name:*"   tags? ( admin_centre, label, relation, ... )
Label is an  attempt to manually
specify optimal place for placement of a label.

It is therefore not reflecting reality, but
is manually placing label in specific map style
(that specific mapper wants to influence).

In other words it is something that should not
be mapped in OSM.

Re: "part:wikidata=*" tag proposal for multiple elements connected to the same wikidata id

Mateusz Konieczny-3

9 Sep 2019, 11:46 by [hidden email]:
Monaco is a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City-state

I'm not convinced. If city-state is a city and a state in one, then why do we have two objects in Openstreetmap? Then it should be one relation with admin_level=2 + place=city
Monaco includes for example territorial
waters while it is not a part of the city.

City states may include also other areas
that is not a part of the city.

Re: "part:wikidata=*" tag proposal for multiple elements connected to the same wikidata id

marc marc
Le 09.09.19 à 16:18, Mateusz Konieczny a écrit :

> 9 Sep 2019, 15:14 by [hidden email]:
>
>     Imho:    the real problem, why we have multiple objects for
>     "name:*"   tags? ( admin_centre, label, relation, ... )
>
> Label is an  attempt to manually
> specify optimal place for placement of a label.

the label doesn't need any tag
exept that some of them duplicate a country with a node place=country

Re: "part:wikidata=*" tag proposal for multiple elements connected to the same wikidata id

Philip Barnes
On Monday, 9 September 2019, marc marc wrote:

> Le 09.09.19 à 16:18, Mateusz Konieczny a écrit :
> >

> > 9 Sep 2019, 15:14 by [hidden email]:
> >
> >     Imho:    the real problem, why we have multiple objects for
> >     "name:*"   tags? ( admin_centre, label, relation, ... )
> >
> > Label is an  attempt to manually
> > specify optimal place for placement of a label.
>
> the label doesn't need any tag
> exept that some of them duplicate a country with a node place=country

The label node is also used for navigation and is used to indicate the city centre.

If I tell OSMand I want to go to Liverpool today, I don't expect it to direct me to a residential street at the geographical centre.

Phil (trigpoint)

--
Sent from my Sailfish device

pon, 9. ruj 2019. u 16:24 Mateusz Konieczny <[hidden email]> napisao je:
Monaco includes for example territorial
waters while it is not a part of the city.
City states may include also other areas
that is not a part of the city.

Then in OSM city and city-state are different things. In Wikidata we only have an article about the city-state. This article also talks about the city, but the overall theme is the city-state. That means, only the admin_level=2 should get the wikidata tag. If we tagged everything that the article describes, we could tag every entity inside the relation (Monaco-Ville, formula race track, the port) with wikidata=Q235, and that makes no sense. We only tag the one entity that best points to the subject of the article.

If that is not possible, use part:wikidata=*.

Re: "part:wikidata=*" tag proposal for multiple elements connected to the same wikidata id

Mateusz Konieczny-3

10 Sep 2019, 12:06 by [hidden email]:
On Monday, 9 September 2019, marc marc wrote:
Le 09.09.19 à 16:18, Mateusz Konieczny a écrit :

> 9 Sep 2019, 15:14 by [hidden email]:
>
> Imho: the real problem, why we have multiple objects for
> "name:*" tags? ( admin_centre, label, relation, ... )
>
> Label is an attempt to manually
> specify optimal place for placement of a label.

the label doesn't need any tag
exept that some of them duplicate a country with a node place=country

The label node is also used for navigation and is used to indicate the city centre.

If I tell OSMand I want to go to Liverpool today, I don't expect it to direct me to a residential street at the geographical centre.
I thought that this is meaning of
admin_centre

Note that for example for a seaside town
in most (not all) map styles optimal
label placement is on the sea, not
in the city center.

And directing driver to closest road to
such label would not help.

Am Di., 10. Sept. 2019 um 13:54 Uhr schrieb Janko Mihelić <[hidden email]>:
Then in OSM city and city-state are different things. In Wikidata we only have an article about the city-state. This article also talks about the city, but the overall theme is the city-state. That means, only the admin_level=2 should get the wikidata tag. If we tagged everything that the article describes, we could tag every entity inside the relation (Monaco-Ville, formula race track, the port) with wikidata=Q235, and that makes no sense. We only tag the one entity that best points to the subject of the article.

If that is not possible, use part:wikidata=*.

One problem is that wikidata does not allow to have the same wikipedia article for several wikidata objects. This dependency makes it difficult to split wikidata objects into fainer grained objects. Maybe in cases like these, I would have to split the wikidata object in 3: one combining object that is linked to the article and different objects for the city and the state?