"shop=no"

Bernhard Hiller
In the forum, there is a discussion on the enormous variety of values
for some tags, see
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=55541 (in Dutch).
There is also a link to a list showing the different values for the
"shop" tag:
http://mijndev.openstreetmap.nl/~marczoutendijk/taginfo-shop.html

You can see there that the combination "shop=no" exists 2372 times,
"shop=none" 4 times.

With our current default style, they'd be summed up by the line
      shop=* [0x2e0c resolution 24]
which just would make them into a shop.

I guess we should better ignore the shop=no/none combination (note: a
value containing "no" may still be correct), and provide a PoI based on
the other tags for that node.
What do you think?

Regards,
Bernhard

Re: "shop=no"

Gerd Petermann
Hi Bernhard,

I've changed the default style in r3993, shortly after I learned about shop=vacant
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Ashop%3Dvacant

Not sure if the default style should ignore this as well?

Gerd

Re: "shop=no"

Manfred Brenneisen-2
...as well as ALL POI's with disused=yes...

...or status=closed... mappers are creative.
But as status=closed is not "official", evaluating could result in spreading use. So forget about that.

Cheers
Manfred

> Gesendet: Freitag, 18. August 2017 um 09:53 Uhr
> Von: "Gerd Petermann" <[hidden email]>
> An: "Development list for mkgmap" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [mkgmap-dev] "shop=no"
>
> Hi Bernhard,
>
> I've changed the default style in r3993, shortly after I learned about shop=vacant
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Ashop%3Dvacant
>
> Not sure if the default style should ignore this as well?
>
> Gerd

Re: "shop=no"

Bernhard Hiller
Hi Gerd,

that's a good point. Let's take a look at the numbers:
vacant 10542
no 2732
disused 2389
abandoned 9
vacancy 9
Vacant 7
unused 5
none 4
disused:supermarket 2
Vacant Store 1
vacant;survey 1
vacat 1
computer;vacant 1
vacant;chemist 1
abandone 1
disused:shop=car 1
disused:bicycle 1
disused:clothes 1
disused:garden_centre 1
disued (backery) 1
disused:hairdresser 1
disused:pet,garden_centre 1
disused:butcher 1
disused:mall 1
disuded 1

I am not so sure what do with "vacant" as this might indicate a
temporary state of that shop, but depending on the place it might never
become a shop again.
Also with the "disused" cases, the shops could be in operation a short
time later again, or never.
At least, these cases are more important (vacant) or equally important
(disused) as shop=no.

By the way, I run an overpass query for shop=no in the Frankfurt/Germany
region: the "shop=no" tags are typically used here at fuel stations...
Same holds true for Berlin or Prague. In England, I stumbled upon node
node https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/412490731 which combines shop=no
with amenity=icecream. There are some rare occasions where a building
was mapped with shops in all adjacent building which received a shop=no.

More input from other mappers / map makers is welcome.

Regards,
Bernhard

Am 18.08.2017 um 09:53 schrieb Gerd Petermann:

> Hi Bernhard,
>
> I've changed the default style in r3993, shortly after I learned about shop=cant
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Ashop%3Dvacant
>
> Not sure if the default style should ignore this as well?
>
> Gerd

Re: "shop=no"

Gerd Petermann
Hi Bernhard,

maybe we should just change the "mop up" rule to ignore all shops without a name:
change
shop=* & shop!=no & shop!=none [0x2e0c resolution 24]
shop=* & shop!=no & shop!=none & name=* [0x2e0c resolution 24]