refugee camp

marc marc
Hello,

in our operation to fix campsite errors, there are several
cases of refugee camps.
some have temporarily abused tourism=camp_site to get a rendering
and be able to use standard applications (I can understand, lives
are impacted), but after a few years after the first use,
we should find something better.

what would be a better tag/value ?
here are some examples I found on the wiki or with taginfo

2 examples that I think are fine
amenity=refugee_housing
place=refugee_camp

3 others examples
tourism=camp_site + refugee=yes but it's not a tourism feature
idp:camp_site=* but no main tag, and confusion with tourism is easy
earthquake:damage=spontaneous_camp but no main tag

by analogy with other tags, we could also imagine something
like *=refugee_site but don't exists right now

if someone participates in HOT or equivalent,
do not hesitate to forward

the humanitarian preset does not contain any proposals and does
not seem to have been updated for a long time
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Tags/HDM_preset

Regards,
Marc

Re: refugee camp

Jmapb
On 6/6/2019 12:58 PM, marc marc wrote:

> Hello,
>
> in our operation to fix campsite errors, there are several
> cases of refugee camps.
> some have temporarily abused tourism=camp_site to get a rendering
> and be able to use standard applications (I can understand, lives
> are impacted), but after a few years after the first use,
> we should find something better.
>
> what would be a better tag/value ?

There are 40 instances of social_facility=refugee_camp, and 18 of
social_facility=refugee_housing. But IMO "refugee" really belongs under
the social_facility:for tag (nb social_facility:for=refugees is about 4
times as popular as social_facility:for=refugee, but the singular
version is more consistent with usual tagging practices.)

For the primary tag you could go with social_facility=group_home or
social_facility=shelter, but they don't seem quite right. I'd suggest
something like social_facility=temporary_housing.

Jason

Re: refugee camp

Graeme Fitzpatrick

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 at 03:00, marc marc <[hidden email]> wrote:

2 examples that I think are fine
amenity=refugee_housing
place=refugee_camp

IMO either of those would work

3 others examples
tourism=camp_site + refugee=yes but it's not a tourism feature

Definitely not

idp:camp_site=* but no main tag, and confusion with tourism is easy

Agreed

earthquake:damage=spontaneous_camp but no main tag

by analogy with other tags, we could also imagine something
like *=refugee_site but don't exists right now

Could we go with something under the emergency= key, coupled with either refugee_camp or _housing?

the humanitarian preset does not contain any proposals and does
not seem to have been updated for a long time
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Tags/HDM_preset

I'm wondering why there's a separate list?

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 at 04:34, Jmapb <[hidden email]> wrote:

There are 40 instances of social_facility=refugee_camp, and 18 of
social_facility=refugee_housing.
For the primary tag you could go with social_facility=group_home or
social_facility=shelter, but they don't seem quite right.

I'd suggest something like social_facility=temporary_housing.

To me, social_facility doesn't quite cut it for "refugees". Refugees strike me as people fleeing from war / massive natural disaster - social_facility comes across as small scale for homeless people / women's refuge sort of thing?

Thanks

Graeme

Re: refugee camp

Jan S

Am 6. Juni 2019 23:27:37 MESZ schrieb Graeme Fitzpatrick <[hidden email]>:

>On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 at 04:34, Jmapb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> There are 40 instances of social_facility=refugee_camp, and 18 of
>> social_facility=refugee_housing.
>> For the primary tag you could go with social_facility=group_home or
>> social_facility=shelter, but they don't seem quite right.
>

>> I'd suggest something like social_facility=temporary_housing.
>>

>To me, social_facility doesn't quite cut it for "refugees". Refugees
>strike
>me as people fleeing from war / massive natural disaster -
>social_facility
>comes across as small scale for homeless people / women's refuge sort
>of
>thing?

Hi. IMO social_facility sounds appropriate. Refugee camps are basically housing for people in distress, just as is the case for homeless shelters or women's shelters. I don't think the reason why people are in distress or the number of people affected makes a difference. What's decisive is the vocation of the facility, which is to provide a service offered by society for people in need.

We should then make further differences as to the type of refugee shelter, e.g. social_facility=camp, social_facility:for=refugees (or migrants?) or social_facility=group_home, social_group:for=refugees/migrants in case of solid structures dedicated to recently arrived migrants.

Best, Jan

Re: refugee camp

Jmapb
On 6/6/2019 5:27 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

I'd suggest something like social_facility=temporary_housing.

To me, social_facility doesn't quite cut it for "refugees". Refugees strike me as people fleeing from war / massive natural disaster - social_facility comes across as small scale for homeless people / women's refuge sort of thing?

Browsing through the values of social_facility:for, it's a lot more diverse than just victims of abuse and poverty -- and social_facility:for=refugee(s) has hundreds of uses. But you definitely have a point about scale -- some of these camps house over a hundred thousand people. That's on the scale of a small city -- a community, not a facility. So maybe place=refugee_camp is a better solution.

Re: refugee camp

marc marc
Le 07.06.19 à 15:56, Jan S a écrit :
> What's decisive is the vocation of the facility

and even before that, is there a facility at all ?

because there is a big difference between
1) people who fled the war and stopped "elsewhere",
then sometimes helped by ngo to survive
and
2) a country/city/ngo opens a structure in a host country

the first one is not a social_facility, it is sometimes even
the opposite in countries where they are unwanted or too numerous

the second is of course better mapped as a social_facility