roundabouts

Gerd Petermann
Hi all,

the default style contains these rules for roundabouts:
# Roundabouts
junction=roundabout & (highway=trunk | highway=trunk_link) [0x0c road_class=3 road_speed=2 resolution 18]
junction=roundabout & (highway=primary | highway=primary_link) [0x0c road_class=3 road_speed=2 resolution 19]
junction=roundabout & (highway=secondary | highway=secondary_link) [0x0c road_class=2 road_speed=2 resolution 20]
junction=roundabout & (highway=tertiary | highway=tertiary_link) [0x0c road_class=1 road_speed=1 resolution 21]
junction=roundabout & highway=unclassified [0x0c road_class=1 road_speed=1 resolution 21]
junction=roundabout & highway=* [0x0c road_class=0 road_speed=1 resolution 22]

The wanted effect is that the Garmin device/software produces hints like "enter roundabout" or "Take the 2nd right onto" ...
The disadvantage is that the roundabout is not rendered.

I replaced all the above rules by
junction=roundabout & highway=* [0x0c road_class=0 road_speed=0 resolution 24 continue]

I tried this with car + bicycle routing and it seems to give the expected results (routing hints and rendered roads).
Also the --check-roundabouts option doesn't complain.

Alternative might be to keep the distinction of road types for better time estimation, important point is that
"resoltion 24 continue "
is used.

Comments?

Gerd

Re: roundabouts

ligfietser

Gerd,

I have used such approach for my bicycle maps and received quite a few negative reports with two routable lines on top of each other, especially near and at roundabouts. A lot of devices will crash (completely shut down) so I'd not recommend this. In Lambertus' generic new we use an invisible 0x0c line in the typ file and after the roundabout rules the junctions are made unroutable so we don't have two routable lines on top of each other.

Re: roundabouts

Gerd Petermann
Hi ligfietser,

in fact the OFM lite style was the reason that I tried to find a better solution.
I noticed some strange routing results for this roundabout:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/8325782
coming from north  (e.g. node 76474542 going south (to node 1601722162).
with setting "OFM racing bike". With other bike types routing looks good.

The style creates several lines for the roundabout (not sure about the order), two are routable:
0x5 with road_class=1 road_speed=3 toll=no
0xc with road_class=1 road_speed=1 toll=yes
0x10007
0x10105
I think the at least the rule
junction=roundabout {set access=no}
doesn't work as you expect.

https://github.com/ligfietser/mkgmap-style-sheets/blob/master/styles/generic%20new/lines

________________________________

Re: roundabouts

Ralf Kleineisel
On 02/12/2017 12:59 PM, lig fietser wrote:

> I have used such approach for my bicycle maps and received quite a few
> negative reports with two routable lines on top of each other,
> especially near and at roundabouts. A lot of devices will crash
> (completely shut down) so I'd not recommend this.

In my style I avoid this problem by having a routable, but invisible
line 0x0c and different visible but not routable lines 0x11e04-0x11e07
on top:

junction=roundabout & highway=trunk        [0x11e04 level 5 continue]
junction=roundabout & highway=trunk        [0x0c road_class=1
road_speed=2 resolution 18]
junction=roundabout & highway=primary      [0x11e04 level 5 continue]
junction=roundabout & highway=primary      [0x0c road_class=1
road_speed=2 resolution 19]
junction=roundabout & highway=secondary    [0x11e05 level 4 continue]
junction=roundabout & highway=secondary    [0x0c road_class=1
road_speed=2 resolution 20]
junction=roundabout & highway=tertiary     [0x11e06 level 3 continue]
junction=roundabout & highway=tertiary     [0x0c road_class=1
road_speed=2 resolution 21]
junction=roundabout & highway=unclassified [0x11e07 level 3 continue]
junction=roundabout & highway=unclassified [0x0c road_class=1
road_speed=2 resolution 21]
junction=roundabout                        [0x11e07 level 3 continue]
junction=roundabout                        [0x0c road_class=1
road_speed=2 resolution 22]

0x11e04 looks exactly like the normal highway=trunk line 0x16. Works nicely.

Now that I think of it, I just might omit the "resolution" for 0x0c,
it's not visible anyway.

Re: roundabouts

Gerd Petermann
Hi Ralf,

I also thought that this would be the best solution, so I tried to modify the OFM lite style like that, but without success.
My knowledge about typ files is near zero :-(

Gerd
On 02/12/2017 12:59 PM, lig fietser wrote:

> I have used such approach for my bicycle maps and received quite a few
> negative reports with two routable lines on top of each other,
> especially near and at roundabouts. A lot of devices will crash
> (completely shut down) so I'd not recommend this.

In my style I avoid this problem by having a routable, but invisible
line 0x0c and different visible but not routable lines 0x11e04-0x11e07
on top:

junction=roundabout & highway=trunk        [0x11e04 level 5 continue]
junction=roundabout & highway=trunk        [0x0c road_class=1
road_speed=2 resolution 18]
junction=roundabout & highway=primary      [0x11e04 level 5 continue]
junction=roundabout & highway=primary      [0x0c road_class=1
road_speed=2 resolution 19]
junction=roundabout & highway=secondary    [0x11e05 level 4 continue]
junction=roundabout & highway=secondary    [0x0c road_class=1
road_speed=2 resolution 20]
junction=roundabout & highway=tertiary     [0x11e06 level 3 continue]
junction=roundabout & highway=tertiary     [0x0c road_class=1
road_speed=2 resolution 21]
junction=roundabout & highway=unclassified [0x11e07 level 3 continue]
junction=roundabout & highway=unclassified [0x0c road_class=1
road_speed=2 resolution 21]
junction=roundabout                        [0x11e07 level 3 continue]
junction=roundabout                        [0x0c road_class=1
road_speed=2 resolution 22]

0x11e04 looks exactly like the normal highway=trunk line 0x16. Works nicely.

Now that I think of it, I just might omit the "resolution" for 0x0c,
it's not visible anyway.

Re: roundabouts

ligfietser

Ralf's approach is better, if I would start rebuild my map I would choose to do the same, but it will take too much time to rebuilt my map from scratch.

@Gerd, I see now that setting  junction=roundabout {set access=no} after the roundabout rules doesn't work at all, do you have any explanation why?

Re: roundabouts

Ticker Berkin
Hi

With these default rules, my device (Etrex Legend HCx) renders
roundabouts nicely (dark medium line, looks same as 0x04/0x05 line) and
has a suitable 'hover' label. No typ file.

Ticker

On Sun, 2017-02-12 at 11:39 +0000, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the default style contains these rules for roundabouts:
> # Roundabouts
> junction=roundabout & (highway=trunk | highway=trunk_link) [0x0c
> road_class=3 road_speed=2 resolution 18]
> junction=roundabout & (highway=primary | highway=primary_link) [0x0c
> road_class=3 road_speed=2 resolution 19]
> junction=roundabout & (highway=secondary | highway=secondary_link)
> [0x0c road_class=2 road_speed=2 resolution 20]
> junction=roundabout & (highway=tertiary | highway=tertiary_link)
> [0x0c road_class=1 road_speed=1 resolution 21]
> junction=roundabout & highway=unclassified [0x0c road_class=1
> road_speed=1 resolution 21]
> junction=roundabout & highway=* [0x0c road_class=0 road_speed=1
> resolution 22]
>
> The wanted effect is that the Garmin device/software produces hints
> like "enter roundabout" or "Take the 2nd right onto" ...
> The disadvantage is that the roundabout is not rendered.
>
> I replaced all the above rules by
> junction=roundabout & highway=* [0x0c road_class=0 road_speed=0
> resolution 24 continue]
>
> I tried this with car + bicycle routing and it seems to give the
> expected results (routing hints and rendered roads).
> Also the --check-roundabouts option doesn't complain.
>
> Alternative might be to keep the distinction of road types for better
> time estimation, important point is that
> "resoltion 24 continue "
> is used.
>
> Comments?
>
> Gerd

Re: roundabouts

popej
Hi Gerd,

IMO you won't get good routing for cars, if you set all roundabouts to
class 0. My understanding is, that roads with road_class 4 and 3 should
create a proper, continuous network. If you break network at
roundabouts, long distance routing will suffer.

I doubt you will get a nice rendering with all cases. Probably a
roundabout will be still visible below road type 0x06. But if you are
satisfied with rendering, I suggest to use pairs: roundabout with proper
road_class/road_speed and non-routable line in range 0x108xx, these
looks like standard roads: 0x10800 == 0x01, 0x10801 == 0x02 and so on.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: roundabouts

Ralf Kleineisel
On 02/12/2017 01:45 PM, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> I also thought that this would be the best solution, so I tried to
> modify the OFM lite style like that, but without success. My
> knowledge about typ files is near zero :-(

You don't need a lot of knowledge to copy a polyline definition with
Typviewer,

Re: roundabouts

Gerd Petermann
Hi lig fietser,

hmm, maybe I was mislead by the results of GPSMapEdit. It seems that it shows some
defaults when a line with a routable type is not in the NOD file. So, only the type 0xc
line is added to the NOD file, but we also know that it is not good to use routable types
without a road_speed or road_class attribute. Maybe that explains the problems?
Note the warnings from check-styles:
Warning: routable type 0x08 is used for non-routable line with level 0. This may break routing. Style file lines, line 175
Warning: routable type 0x16 is used for non-routable line with level 0. This may break routing. Style file lines, line 232
Warning: routable type 0x060 is used for non-routable line with level 0. This may break routing. Style file lines, line 243. Type is overlaid with 0x06
Warning: routable type 0x050 is used for non-routable line with level 0. This may break routing. Style file lines, line 250. Type is overlaid with 0x05
Warning: routable type 0x040 is used for non-routable line with level 0. This may break routing. Style file lines, line 255. Type is overlaid with 0x04
Warning: routable type 0x030 is used for non-routable line with level 0. This may break routing. Style file lines, line 261. Type is overlaid with 0x03

Gerd

Ralf's approach is better, if I would start rebuild my map I would choose to do the same, but it will take too much time to rebuilt my map from scratch.

@Gerd, I see now that setting  junction=roundabout {set access=no} after the roundabout rules doesn't work at all, do you have any explanation why?

Re: roundabouts

Gerd Petermann
Hi Andrzej,

good points. I'll try your suggestions.

Gerd

Re: roundabouts

ligfietser

Hi Gerd,

Regarding routable types without a road_speed or road_class attribute: this can create other problems when searching for an address along that street, routing could cause straight lines on the device. Since it is unlikely that there are any addresses on a roundabouts you can ignore those warnings. Those crashes that were reported were related to my Style where I have used 0x02 for cycling routes on top of routable highways. Both lines were routable and this could crash the device, in particular at roundabouts where three routable lines were used (02, 0c and normal highways).

[...]

Chris66
Am 12.02.2017 um 13:56 schrieb Ticker Berkin:
> Hi
>
> With these default rules, my device (Etrex Legend HCx) renders
> roundabouts nicely (dark medium line, looks same as 0x04/0x05 line) and
> has a suitable 'hover' label. No typ file.
>
> Ticker

Yes, on my Etrex20 and Nuvi 250 I'm also getting a rendering with the
default style.

Chris

Re: roundabouts

popej
Hi Gerd,

just have tested following version:

# Roundabouts
junction=roundabout & (highway=trunk | highway=trunk_link) [0x0c
road_class=4 road_speed=2 resolution 24 continue]
junction=roundabout & (highway=trunk | highway=trunk_link) [0x10801
resolution 18]

junction=roundabout & (highway=primary | highway=primary_link) [0x0c
road_class=3 road_speed=2 resolution 24 continue]
junction=roundabout & (highway=primary | highway=primary_link) [0x10802
resolution 19]

junction=roundabout & (highway=secondary | highway=secondary_link) [0x0c
road_class=2 road_speed=2 resolution 24 continue]
junction=roundabout & (highway=secondary | highway=secondary_link)
[0x10803 resolution 20]

junction=roundabout & (highway=tertiary | highway=tertiary_link) [0x0c
road_class=1 road_speed=1 resolution 24 continue]
junction=roundabout & (highway=tertiary | highway=tertiary_link)
[0x10804 resolution 21]

junction=roundabout & highway=minor [0x0c road_class=1 road_speed=1
resolution 21]
junction=roundabout & highway=unclassified [0x0c road_class=1
road_speed=1 resolution 21]
junction=roundabout & highway=* [0x0c road_class=0 road_speed=1
resolution 22]

This adds secondary line for roundabout defined as trunk, primary,
secondary and tertiary only. I think other types will work well enough
with standard rendering. Maybe even tertiary can be standard. Map looks
ok, see attached picture with roundabout rendered as primary (no TYP).

Side note: this is example, where style-option can be used. You can make
this extra lines active in style only when a proper style-option is defined.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

roundabout.jpg (23K) Download Attachment

Re: roundabouts

Gerd Petermann
Hi Andrzej,

yes, works fine without typ file on Mapsource, Basecamp and my Oregon 600 .
I think the default 0xc type looks like 0x06, so we need the overlay for tertiary (0x05).

The only one still looking bad is highway=service (0x07). I tried to add extra rules for it but It seems that 0x10806 doesn't work.
Maybe you have another idea?

Gerd

Re: roundabouts

ligfietser

I don't see the benefit of this, on my devices (oregon 600, old NĂ¼vi) without a typ file, 0x0c is rendered as a fat orange line drawn on top of the 0x108.. types. In Mapsource it works fine, I agree. AFAIK there is no way to make 0x0c invisible without a typ file. I've tried to skip resolution but this didnt work either, it is still rendered.

Re: roundabouts

ligfietser

Here is a test image from Mapsource (above) and Oregon 600 (below). Both without typ file.

I've created 10 lines with the following test style:

highway=1 {name '10801'} [0x10801 resolution 18 continue]
highway=2 {name '10802'} [0x10802 resolution 18 continue]
highway=3 {name '10803'} [0x10803 resolution 18 continue]
highway=4 {name '10804'} [0x10804 resolution 18 continue]
highway=5 {name '10805'} [0x10805 resolution 18 continue]
highway=6 {name '10806'} [0x10806 resolution 18 continue]
highway=7 {name '10807'} [0x10807 resolution 18 continue]
highway=8 {name '10808'} [0x10808 resolution 18 continue]
highway=9 {name '10809'} [0x10809 resolution 18 continue]
highway=10 {name '10800'} [0x10800 resolution 18 continue]
highway=* [0x0c resolution 24]

If you zoom out or take a low resolution, you will see a bigger distinction between the types. Once you zoom in at the highest level, all types are overruled with 0x0c on my Oregon, and in Mapsource with something like 10805 (unclassified?). Highways with a major class will be rendered first here. I haven't tested other devices, it would't surprise me if they show a different behaviour.

108type.jpg (243K) Download Attachment

Re: roundabouts

Gerd Petermann
I did not see that with real OSM data.
Please try to add junction=roundabout because this has an effect on the NOD file.

Gerd

Re: roundabouts

Gerd Petermann
Oops, just recognized that you sample doesn't create a NOD file. No idea if that is important.
Please try to add junction=roundabout because this has an effect on the NOD file.

Gerd

Re: roundabouts

ligfietser

I also have looked at real OSM data, it renders the same, unfortunately.