routing between different maps

popej
Hi,

I'm not sure, if I have already written about this problem, sorry if I
repeat myself.

Routing between maps require external nodes at the same position on both
maps. With rectangular tiles external nodes are created only at borders
of the tiles (at least this is what I would expect). Different maps most
probably do not get the same borders of tiles in common area, co there
is no correct external nodes for routing.

My idea is to create external nodes at each intersection of
administrative border with routable road. Since administrative borders
and roads are the same for all maps, then external nodes should appear
at exact the same position for all maps. This would allow (I hope, I
haven't tested) for seamless routing between maps.

 From point of view o a user of mkgmap, there could be an option,
indicating which borders should be used for creating nodes. Something like:
--external-nodes=admin_level2

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: routing between different maps

Bernhard Hiller
Hi Andrzej,
I doubt that it is possible.
The extracts from Geofabrik overlap at the administrative borders. So a
road from e.g. Germany to Poland won't end at the border, but extend a
few meters (sometimes even kilometers!) into the neighboring country.
And that holds true for that road in the other direction too.
This means that the common nodes do already exist, but never did
cross-border routing work (note that I changed my toolchain and generate
maps containing a few countries because of those issues since a couple
of years - I cannot be sure if things have changed meanwhile).
Or did I misunderstand the "external nodes"?
Kind regards,
Bernhard

Re: routing between different maps

popej
Hi Bernhard,

routable roads contains "nodes", which can be junctions or address
points. Only some nodes are marked as "external", mkgmap creates them at
borders of tiles.

My idea is about creating some additional external nodes, that should be
always at the same position, regardless of the way of creating a map.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: routing between different maps

Gerd Petermann
Hi Andrzej,
The idea sounds good to me. I will look at this when I am back.
Ciao Gerd

---- Andrzej Popowski schrieb ----

Hi Bernhard,

routable roads contains "nodes", which can be junctions or address
points. Only some nodes are marked as "external", mkgmap creates them at
borders of tiles.

My idea is about creating some additional external nodes, that should be
always at the same position, regardless of the way of creating a map.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: routing between different maps

Gerd Petermann
Hi all,

I've started to look at this. My approach so far:
- add a new flag "on-country-border" in the Coord class
- collect ways with admin_level=2 contained in the input file (alternative would be to extract them from the bounds file),
also way members of matching boundary rels
- split those ways into two point segments, so that no segment exists twice
- for each road segment calculate the intersection with any of these segments (a spatial index is probably needed), brute
force might be too slow
- if one is found, either add the intersection node or mark one of the existing nodes if it is very close
- make sure that these special nodes are preserved like other boundary nodes
- make sure that they are added to the list of external nodes

I am not yet sure what to do with roads that share multiple nodes with country borders.

Gerd

Re: routing between different maps

popej
Hi Gerd,

 > I am not yet sure what to do with roads that share multiple nodes with
 > country borders.

I guess, some optimization would be beneficial. This is probably a case,
where road goes along a border. If there is a series of consecutive
external nodes, you could leave only first, last and nodes which are
junctions. This probably should be done at later stages of compilation.

Or maybe first and last would be enough? I mean, at a junction there
should be an external node added for the second road.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: routing between different maps

Gerd Petermann
Hi Andrzej,

I think the code in the branch (r4211) works quite well now, performance is okay and the number of added external nodes looks reasonable.

next on my TODO list:
1) Find good option name and document it. Current code always uses admin_level=2 boundaries. If one splits each German Bundesland and user tries to install e.g. Niedersachsen and Schleswig-Holstein this will not help.  So, as you proposed, we might want an option that works like this:
--add-ext-nodes-at-borders=x
The value x specifies the admin_level. This option tells mkgmap to add so called external routing nodes (NOD3 and NOD4) where
roads intersect with boundaries of the given admin_level. Use this if ...
2) Unit tests for the code that checks for intersections

Gerd

 > I am not yet sure what to do with roads that share multiple nodes with
 > country borders.

I guess, some optimization would be beneficial. This is probably a case,
where road goes along a border. If there is a series of consecutive
external nodes, you could leave only first, last and nodes which are
junctions. This probably should be done at later stages of compilation.

Or maybe first and last would be enough? I mean, at a junction there
should be an external node added for the second road.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: routing between different maps

Gerd Petermann
Hi all,

I've now tried routing on my Oregon. I created two different gmapsupp.img with different family-id for Luxembourg and Saarland and routing doesn't seem to work in this case. :-(
It works fine when I combine the overlapping tiles into one map (single gmapsupp)
Is anybody able to calculate routes between different (Garmin) maps on a device?
If not I wonder if this feature is really useful. What would be the use case?

Gerd

 > I am not yet sure what to do with roads that share multiple nodes with
 > country borders.

I guess, some optimization would be beneficial. This is probably a case,
where road goes along a border. If there is a series of consecutive
external nodes, you could leave only first, last and nodes which are
junctions. This probably should be done at later stages of compilation.

Or maybe first and last would be enough? I mean, at a junction there
should be an external node added for the second road.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: routing between different maps

Henning Scholland
Hi Gerd, haven't tried it, but would be surprised if it's supported as it is not the Garmin way...
They want you to send all the map tiles by Garmin software to the GPS. But if this can work with mkgmap it's another step. Now we need the non-rectangular tiles... 😉

Henning
On 23 Jul 2018, at 13:00, Gerd Petermann <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

mkgmap-dev mailing list

mkgmap-dev mailing list

Re: routing between different maps

popej

I have extended my test batch to create independent maps of Belgium,
Luxemburg and Netherlands, scripts are attached to this mail.

For me mkgmap r4211 works correctly. There is no problems in BaseCamp
(see attached picture imroute1.png).

Nuvi 2340 with 3 separate maps works correctly (pictures imroute2-4).
There is problem with displaying maps around border. Nuvi shows only one
maps, which results with some empty areas (picture imroute5).

Garmin Dakota works correctly (picture imroute6). Both maps are
displayed at the border and there is no empty area.

Gerd, what were options for routes in your Oregon? I have used routing
for car, because this mode easily calculates longer routes.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Benelux2.zip (3K) Download Attachment
imroute1.png (142K) Download Attachment
imroute2.png (30K) Download Attachment
imroute3.png (104K) Download Attachment
imroute4.png (108K) Download Attachment
imroute5.png (57K) Download Attachment
imroute6.png (31K) Download Attachment

Re: routing between different maps

Gerd Petermann
Hi Andrzej,

I also used car and no avoidances. Maybe the difference is that I used mkgmap to create different gmapsupp files. When I transfer the overlapping times from the "benelux " map using Mapsource routing works, when I install the different gmapsupp files created by mkgmap routing doesn't work. How did you transfer the maps to the device?

Gerd

Re: routing between different maps

Gerd Petermann
Hi Andrzej,

I've attached my test env. I renamed the two gmapsupp.img and copied them on the device.
Next, I used the older (combined) map in MapSource to calculate some routes which cross several tiles and transferred those routes to the device.
Finally I look at the routes in the device. With two gmapsupp I got straight lines.
So, I transferred the combined map from MapSource to the device and removed the separate gmapsupp. With this configuration I got nice routes.

Gerd

c-b2.zip (1K) Download Attachment

Re: routing between different maps

popej
Hi Gerd,

In my test, I have used MapInstall to create 3 separate img for GPS.

I have run your scripts, then copied 2 created gmapsupp.img to GPS (I
have renamed second one as gmapsup1.img). It works correctly for me,
both in nuvi and in Dakota. See attached picture form Dakota.

I have no idea, what goes wrong in your Oregon. Maybe there is some
interaction with basemap? Basemap is routable and sometimes can be used
for calculation.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

lu-sa.png (13K) Download Attachment

Re: routing between different maps

popej
Hi Gerd,

one more note: all routes in my test has been calculated in devices. I
turn on GPS simulation, set current position somewhere inside map area,
then browse map and point a destination.

If you transfer routes form Mapsource, then maybe you should force
recalculation in device?

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

Re: routing between different maps

Gerd Petermann
Hi Andrzej,

I think your screenshot shows a route between two tiles of the same map. I've tested with routes crossing the maps, e.g. from Luxembourg to Merzig.
I tried also with disabled Basemap, no change.

Attached are my test routes.

c-b-test.gdb (55K) Download Attachment

Re: routing between different maps

Gerd Petermann
Hi Andrzej,

sorry, your screenshot also shows a route between maps. Please check how my routes work on your devices.

Gerd

Re: routing between different maps

Gerd Petermann
Hi Andrzej,

I've now created a route between different maps on the device, that seems to work fine.

Gerd

sorry, your screenshot also shows a route between maps. Please check how my routes work on your devices.

Gerd

Re: routing between different maps

popej
Hi Gerd,

I have imported your routes to BaseCamp and then sent to Dakota. It
looks ok. When I select route as a destination, Dakota shows route for a
moment as a straight line and then recalculates on roads, see pic
"go-to". If I start navigation, then Dakota calculates again, adding a
leg to starting point of selected route, see pic "route".

--
Best regards,
Andrzej

go-to.png (16K) Download Attachment
route.png (14K) Download Attachment

Re: routing between different maps

Gerd Petermann
Hi Andrzej,

okay, seems there are many ways to test this ;-)
I've created the routes in MapSource and transferred them to the Oregon.
Next, I looked at them in the Route Manager. With other routes, when I select button "Map" in the Route Manager
the route is also first displayed as a straight line and then recalculated.
Only with these map crossing ways I don't see a recalculation. Interesting is that I see recalculation when I select
a different default route vehicle, but the results look bad.

Anyway, I think the extra nodes can improve routing, so I'll add an option to specify the admin_level.

Gerd

Re: routing between different maps

popej
Hi Gerd,

in my opinion this is valuable change and should be merged to trunk. I
would even suggest to use admin level 2 as default. This would lead to
compatibility between maps, even if authors are unaware of this feature.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej