scalable and relocatable text labels (annotations)

scalable and relocatable text labels (annotations)

filippov70
Good day.
I really need to be scalable and relocatable text labels (annotations) in gvsig how it is implemented, for example in MapInfo.
I am a teacher at the university and write an open solution for land use planning in Russia (I am a novice Java developer), text reports can I do with ODF Toolkit and geotools, but to prepare the drawings, I do not have enough opportunities to work with inscriptions in uDig, as independent object (set the text style, color, move their mouse). Before, I could do it in ArcGIS and MapInfo, but they are not free.
I love uDig (and QGIS, gvSIG) and use it in teaching for 2 years .

I am sorry for my bad English.

Re: scalable and relocatable text labels (annotations)

Jody Garnett-2
We have a change proposal in place for that functionality. Scheduled to be implemented sometime after January.

http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/UDIG/Text+and+Graphic+Markup+Decorator

Would you be available for testing? At the very least please review the above page; for example I like your suggestion of calling this "Annotations".

Other than that please do not assume we know gvsig or map info; indeed especially with commercial products we are careful not to copy functionality.

I will note that as a teacher you can contact [hidden email] and request access to the commercial training materials. We have an arrangement for them to be made available for academic institutions (as a gesture of good will).

I am also interested in your teaching stories; if you wanted to write something for our gallery page you would be very welcome; or even just a blog post to say hi to your students (for when they first start one of your classes).

Jody Garnett

On Tuesday, 20 December 2011 at 2:45 PM, filippov70 wrote:

Good day.
I really need to be scalable and relocatable text labels (annotations) in
gvsig how it is implemented, for example in MapInfo.
I am a teacher at the university and write an open solution for land use
planning in Russia (I am a novice Java developer), text reports can I do
with ODF Toolkit and geotools, but to prepare the drawings, I do not have
enough opportunities to work with inscriptions in uDig, as independent
object (set the text style, color, move their mouse). Before, I could do it
in ArcGIS and MapInfo, but they are not free.
I love uDig (and QGIS, gvSIG) and use it in teaching for 2 years .

I am sorry for my bad English.

Re: scalable and relocatable text labels (annotations)

filippov70
Thank you so much! I am very pleased with this news.
Yes, I am ready to test.
Good to have the ability to create text labels of the attributes of the layers.

I gave an example of a commercial product to make my proposal more clear.

Yes, I am a senior lecturer in TOMSK STATE UNIVERSITY OF ARCHITECTURE AND BUILDING,
Institute of Geoinformation Technologies and Land Register

This is a new trend, especially GIS. I'm the only lecturer of GIS and automated inventory (Java, geotools, postgis).
It is difficult now. I am constantly improving my experience in Java and I help the examples from the site geotools.org
In this academic year I will have a graduate student. He will deal with the automation of Land Management - Planning area. It is the first project with us. It's a small project and it does not pretend to originality, perhaps it will be possible in the gallery.

My personal PAGE (in Russian)