search added to website

Jody Garnett-2
With a bit of prompting from Cliff (thanks!)

I was able to add search to the website covering
- the udig website (including wiki)
- the user email archives
- the devel email archives

Please give it a go
Jody

Re: search added to website

tbanchuin
Hi,

This is such a great feature to have Jody.  The kind of seach engine I look for when I start working with a new codebase.

I found a small glitch though.  I tried it out by searching for my own message, which you also replied to:

http://old.nabble.com/GeoSelectionService%2C-ISelectionService-and-Programmatically-Creating-Selection-ts28687394.html#a28687394

The search engine could not find it with the keyword "GeoSelectionService", which is in the subject of the message.  The old.nabble.com search, on the other hand, located it without any problem.

http://old.nabble.com/udig-devel-f16528.html

Cheers,
Tawan

Jody Garnett-3 wrote
With a bit of prompting from Cliff (thanks!)

I was able to add search to the website covering
- the udig website (including wiki)
- the user email archives
- the devel email archives

Please give it a go
Jody

Re: search added to website

Jody Garnett-2
Interesting - do you have a suggestion? Cause I don't think I can fix google search to ask it to search titles.

So one approach could be to have a search field next to the devel and user archives; and get rid of the radio buttons.

Jody

On 31/05/2010, at 9:48 AM, tbanchuin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is such a great feature to have Jody.  The kind of seach engine I look
> for when I start working with a new codebase.
>
> I found a small glitch though.  I tried it out by searching for my own
> message, which you also replied to:
>
> http://old.nabble.com/GeoSelectionService%2C-ISelectionService-and-Programmatically-Creating-Selection-ts28687394.html#a28687394
>
> The search engine could not find it with the keyword "GeoSelectionService",
> which is in the subject of the message.  The old.nabble.com search, on the
> other hand, located it without any problem.
>
> http://old.nabble.com/udig-devel-f16528.html
>
> Cheers,
> Tawan
>

> Jody Garnett-3 wrote:
>>
>> With a bit of prompting from Cliff (thanks!)
>>
>> I was able to add search to the website covering
>> - the udig website (including wiki)
>> - the user email archives
>> - the devel email archives
>>
>> Please give it a go
>> Jody

Re: search added to website

tbanchuin
We certainly don't want to reengineer Google's search engine.  How can one attempt to improve a perfect beauty if there is such a thing.  From a quick look at the search results again, they are all quite old.  Highly possible that Google has not updated their cache of the list archive.  I cannot find any recent posts through the search engine.  Nothing we can do really. :-(

Jody Garnett-3 wrote

Interesting - do you have a suggestion? Cause I don't think I can fix google search to ask it to search titles.

So one approach could be to have a search field next to the devel and user archives; and get rid of the radio buttons.

Jody

On 31/05/2010, at 9:48 AM, tbanchuin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is such a great feature to have Jody.  The kind of seach engine I look
> for when I start working with a new codebase.
>
> I found a small glitch though.  I tried it out by searching for my own
> message, which you also replied to:
>
> http://old.nabble.com/GeoSelectionService%2C-ISelectionService-and-Programmatically-Creating-Selection-ts28687394.html#a28687394
>
> The search engine could not find it with the keyword "GeoSelectionService",
> which is in the subject of the message.  The old.nabble.com search, on the
> other hand, located it without any problem.
>
> http://old.nabble.com/udig-devel-f16528.html
>
> Cheers,
> Tawan
>

> Jody Garnett-3 wrote:
>>
>> With a bit of prompting from Cliff (thanks!)
>>
>> I was able to add search to the website covering
>> - the udig website (including wiki)
>> - the user email archives
>> - the devel email archives
>>
>> Please give it a go
>> Jody

Re: search added to website

tbanchuin
A user may appreaciate a link to the old nabble archive of the list though.  Just a thought.  ~  Tawan

tbanchuin wrote
We certainly don't want to reengineer Google's search engine.  How can one attempt to improve a perfect beauty if there is such a thing.  From a quick look at the search results again, they are all quite old.  Highly possible that Google has not updated their cache of the list archive.  I cannot find any recent posts through the search engine.  Nothing we can do really. :-(

Jody Garnett-3 wrote

Interesting - do you have a suggestion? Cause I don't think I can fix google search to ask it to search titles.

So one approach could be to have a search field next to the devel and user archives; and get rid of the radio buttons.

Jody

On 31/05/2010, at 9:48 AM, tbanchuin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is such a great feature to have Jody.  The kind of seach engine I look
> for when I start working with a new codebase.
>
> I found a small glitch though.  I tried it out by searching for my own
> message, which you also replied to:
>
> http://old.nabble.com/GeoSelectionService%2C-ISelectionService-and-Programmatically-Creating-Selection-ts28687394.html#a28687394
>
> The search engine could not find it with the keyword "GeoSelectionService",
> which is in the subject of the message.  The old.nabble.com search, on the
> other hand, located it without any problem.
>
> http://old.nabble.com/udig-devel-f16528.html
>
> Cheers,
> Tawan
>

> Jody Garnett-3 wrote:
>>
>> With a bit of prompting from Cliff (thanks!)
>>
>> I was able to add search to the website covering
>> - the udig website (including wiki)
>> - the user email archives
>> - the devel email archives
>>
>> Please give it a go
>> Jody

Re: search added to website

Jody Garnett-2
Try again today; moved a search field over next to the udig-devel and udig-user links; using the nabble search for udig-devel.

Cheers,
Jody

On 01/06/2010, at 10:06 AM, tbanchuin wrote:

> A user may appreaciate a link to the old nabble archive of the list though.
> Just a thought.  ~  Tawan
>

> tbanchuin wrote:
>>
>> We certainly don't want to reengineer Google's search engine.  How can one
>> attempt to improve a perfect beauty if there is such a thing.  From a
>> quick look at the search results again, they are all quite old.  Highly
>> possible that Google has not updated their cache of the list archive.  I
>> cannot find any recent posts through the search engine.  Nothing we can do
>> really. :-(
>>

>> Jody Garnett-3 wrote:
>>>
>>> Interesting - do you have a suggestion? Cause I don't think I can fix
>>> google search to ask it to search titles.
>>>
>>> So one approach could be to have a search field next to the devel and
>>> user archives; and get rid of the radio buttons.
>>>
>>> Jody

Re: search added to website

tbanchuin
Great layout.  I like that.  Google is becoming like Microsoft.  They don't need to be the best at everything anymore.  A bit scary really.  Feeling like losing an important team member.  :-(

Tawan

Jody Garnett-3 wrote