sending location from a smart phone.

john whelan-2
Apparently some Fire brigades ask people who are lost on moors etc to download What3words then tell them their location.

Isn't there a simpler way?  Perhaps to get a text message sent with the long and lat?

ref

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-49319760

Thanks John

--
Sent from Postbox

Re: sending location from a smart phone.

Warin
On 18/08/19 11:22, John Whelan wrote:
Apparently some Fire brigades ask people who are lost on moors etc to download What3words then tell them their location.

Isn't there a simpler way?  Perhaps to get a text message sent with the long and lat?

ref

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-49319760

I would think that reading the lat lon to them should work, they should be able to do any translation!

Australia has an app..

https://emergencyapp.triplezero.gov.au/

That places the GPS location information on the screen...so it can be read out to the emergency operator.

Note: The emergency line in Australia is unable to take SMS calls.  Possibly similar things elsewhere. This is unfortunate as some callers have low battery and could be better served with SMS to save the battery.

Re: sending location from a smart phone.

Rodrigo Rodríguez

On 17/8/19 19:22, John Whelan wrote:
> Apparently some Fire brigades ask people who are lost on moors etc to
> download What3words then tell them their location.
>
> Isn't there a simpler way?  Perhaps to get a text message sent with the
> long and lat?

Geographic coordinates may be the logical way, not precisely the most
user-friendly, I think. For example, in an emergency response, it's easy
to tell a paramedic by radio three words than a series of numbers...

I was actually thinking if this kind of directions may be useful for
mapping to, or routing services with OSM, like places where there are no
street names or proper directions.

> ref
> https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-49319760
>

> Thanks John
>

> --
> Sent from Postbox <https://www.postbox-inc.com>

Re: sending location from a smart phone.

stevea
John's on the path here:  let's eliminate a potential cut-and-paste (or remember "too many digits" step).  If there isn't an app (Android, iOS...) for "tap this button to ask the GPS to put my lat-lon into a (decimal) text string and prompt me for the phone # of an SMS that sends it (with my return phone #, of course)" there should be.  It wouldn't be terribly difficult or lengthy to write, imo.

Lat-lon (decimal emerges as unambiguous) continues to be "we all have the (open) tech to know exactly where this is" depending on how many decimal points of precision.  (W3W?  Seems like BBC shilling for that particular proprietary method, there are any number of such coordinates system out there).

Anybody know examples of such an app that goes straight from GPS lat-lon text to SMS?

> On Aug 17, 2019, at 6:22 PM, John Whelan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Apparently some Fire brigades ask people who are lost on moors etc to download What3words then tell them their location.
>
> Isn't there a simpler way?  Perhaps to get a text message sent with the long and lat?
>
> ref
> https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-49319760
>

> Thanks John
>

> --
> Sent from Postbox

Re: sending location from a smart phone.

stevea
As I think about it, there's likely E911 (in the USA) organizations (standards bodies, coordinating mutual aid people...) who either are talking about this or already have.  I imagine an app which is smart enough to "burst off to all possible channels of communication, whatever your emergency response network is able to absorb" (text, voice, GPS text SMS of decimal lat-lon...) because this is an app I downloaded in case I needed to send my location to emergency rescue-type agencies via this smart phone, and I'm clicking on the app (and confirming to "send my location to emergency authorities?" now).  Such apps usually revise and get smarter and more coordinated / localizable / extensible / smarter as time goes on, anyway.

Again, this doesn't seem too difficult to get coordinated and build an app and develop the syntax and functionality so it is localizable and flexible enough to "do the right thing(s) in context" (of whatever country or G3, G4, G5, 911, 999, whatever..) tech / country / system / network / whatever.  Not a no-brainer, but it seems like if humanity doesn't have this app (and people downloading / installing it by 2020), we might be lagging a little bit.  Let's sew up the loose edges here and maybe OSM discussing amongst ourselves on talk turns into (by 2021) stories of "we saved the lost family in the desert...", too.  It's not farfetched.

Really, a lot of good ideas and "W3W inspires OSM to standardize a 'plain vanilla' version of this" (and maybe OSM has something to do with a sort of "generic, install on your phone as a good idea," maybe not) here.

SteveA

Re: sending location from a smart phone.

Phil Wyatt
For IOS it would appear GPS2SMS version 2 does exactly that

Cheers - Phil,
On the road with his iPad

> On 18 Aug 2019, at 12:06 pm, stevea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John's on the path here:  let's eliminate a potential cut-and-paste (or remember "too many digits" step).  If there isn't an app (Android, iOS...) for "tap this button to ask the GPS to put my lat-lon into a (decimal) text string and prompt me for the phone # of an SMS that sends it (with my return phone #, of course)" there should be.  It wouldn't be terribly difficult or lengthy to write, imo.
>
> Lat-lon (decimal emerges as unambiguous) continues to be "we all have the (open) tech to know exactly where this is" depending on how many decimal points of precision.  (W3W?  Seems like BBC shilling for that particular proprietary method, there are any number of such coordinates system out there).
>
> Anybody know examples of such an app that goes straight from GPS lat-lon text to SMS?
>
>> On Aug 17, 2019, at 6:22 PM, John Whelan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Apparently some Fire brigades ask people who are lost on moors etc to download What3words then tell them their location.
>>
>> Isn't there a simpler way?  Perhaps to get a text message sent with the long and lat?
>>
>> ref
>> https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-49319760
>>

>> Thanks John
>>

>> --
>> Sent from Postbox

Re: sending location from a smart phone.

On the SMS front, it is not a question of an app but the receiving organisation

Internationally 112 is the single number that is allocated to emergency services from cell phones.
In some countries that gets you a call centre that then sends you off to the police, fire or ambulance. in other countries you may end up with only the police.

Having them all contactable by SMS would be nice... but I don't think it is going to work world wide for many years.

On 18/08/19 13:00, stevea wrote:

> As I think about it, there's likely E911 (in the USA) organizations (standards bodies, coordinating mutual aid people...) who either are talking about this or already have.  I imagine an app which is smart enough to "burst off to all possible channels of communication, whatever your emergency response network is able to absorb" (text, voice, GPS text SMS of decimal lat-lon...) because this is an app I downloaded in case I needed to send my location to emergency rescue-type agencies via this smart phone, and I'm clicking on the app (and confirming to "send my location to emergency authorities?" now).  Such apps usually revise and get smarter and more coordinated / localizable / extensible / smarter as time goes on, anyway.
>
> Again, this doesn't seem too difficult to get coordinated and build an app and develop the syntax and functionality so it is localizable and flexible enough to "do the right thing(s) in context" (of whatever country or G3, G4, G5, 911, 999, whatever..) tech / country / system / network / whatever.  Not a no-brainer, but it seems like if humanity doesn't have this app (and people downloading / installing it by 2020), we might be lagging a little bit.  Let's sew up the loose edges here and maybe OSM discussing amongst ourselves on talk turns into (by 2021) stories of "we saved the lost family in the desert...", too.  It's not farfetched.
>
> Really, a lot of good ideas and "W3W inspires OSM to standardize a 'plain vanilla' version of this" (and maybe OSM has something to do with a sort of "generic, install on your phone as a good idea," maybe not) here.
>
> SteveA

Re: sending location from a smart phone.

stevea
This feels like an interesting side project for OSM to keep its hands warm, rubbing over the campfire, ready to toss in a shoulder of help if needed.  Warin (below) says "a few years" yet I think with some good communication, coordination among countries, 112 / E911 / 999 communities, mutual aid / volunteer fire departments, writers / coders of iOS and Android apps, this could really turn into something reasonably effective in a year or less.  A 1.0 that works worldwide and is extensible to any country (depending on phone / cellular / G3-G4-G5 tech, whether the call center can handle SMS, whether the helicopter pilot and rescue team have data delivery systems that show them a map or visually / aurally read a string of lat-lon digits — not helpful, a visual map is usually immediately human-parsable) seems quite feasible to me.

By 2020.  Nice discussion.  Thank you for introducing the topic, John.  May it continue and blossom.

SteveA

> On Aug 17, 2019, at 8:19 PM, Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On the SMS front, it is not a question of an app but the receiving organisation
>
> Internationally 112 is the single number that is allocated to emergency services from cell phones.
> In some countries that gets you a call centre that then sends you off to the police, fire or ambulance. in other countries you may end up with only the police.
>
> Having them all contactable by SMS would be nice... but I don't think it is going to work world wide for many years.

Re: sending location from a smart phone.

Yves-2
This does exist, of course, ans open source:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.perm.trubnikov.gps2sms&hl=en_US&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dgps+to+sms&pcampaignid=APPU_1_meRYXYf3HYqJrwSTj73oDQ

Le 18 août 2019 05:26:02 GMT+02:00, stevea <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

dieterdreist
this is basic functionality of the standard apps, e.g. apple maps, google maps. Just share your location and select message/sms.

Cheers Martin

Re: sending location from a smart phone.

Tom Hughes-3
On 18/08/2019 02:22, John Whelan wrote:

> Apparently some Fire brigades ask people who are lost on moors etc to
> download What3words then tell them their location.

In the UK any even vaguely modern smartphone will send location data
with a 999 call anyway, as Ed made clear in response to all that press
the other day:

https://twitter.com/edparsons/status/1162766686912700417

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

On 18/08/2019 08:35, Tom Hughes wrote:

> On 18/08/2019 02:22, John Whelan wrote:
>
>> Apparently some Fire brigades ask people who are lost on moors etc to
>> download What3words then tell them their location.
>
> In the UK any even vaguely modern smartphone will send location data
> with a 999 call anyway, as Ed made clear in response to all that press
> the other day:
>
> https://twitter.com/edparsons/status/1162766686912700417

Actually this is the better version with the link to how it works:

https://twitter.com/edparsons/status/1162376705492885504

Works on Android 4 and later for Android phones.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: sending location from a smart phone.

Philip Barnes

In GB we have OS grid references which can get to 1m accuracy.

These are widely used and understood, particularly by those of us who go out on the moors.

Phil (trigpoint)