shape file representation

thomas dolley
Hello,

I have a shape file with polygon, in my attributes I have the population
of each polygon.
I would like to have a representation where I can see the polygon and,
one circle representing the population for one polygon .
It should be like the attached file.
Is it possible with udig ?

best regards
Thomas

--
Thomas DOLLEY
Projet GUYASIM

exemple-population.png (20K) Download Attachment

Re: shape file representation

Andrea Antonello
Hi,

> I have a shape file with polygon, in my attributes I have the population of
> each polygon.
> I would like to have a representation where I can see the polygon and, one
> circle representing the population for one polygon .
> It should be like the attached file.
> Is it possible with udig ?

right now I think you would need a step for getting the shown result.

That is what I would do:
- create a layer of the baricenters of the polygons (we will use a
points layer) -> reshape operation, see:
http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Constraint+Query+Language
for the functions you can use
- in the same operation I also would create a new field that
normalizes the population value (you will use that as field that
defines the size of the point)

So the reshape operation would look like:

the_geom=baricenter(the_geom)
size=population/maxvalue

That will create you a new layer that will then produce the style you want.

Jody is working a lot on reshape and filters these days, so it might
already be easier.

Cheers,
Andrea

> best regards
> Thomas
>
> --
> Thomas DOLLEY
> Projet GUYASIM
> UMR ECOFOG
> Bātiment D
> TA C-105 / D Campus international de Baillarguet 34398 Montpellier Cedex 5
> France
> Tél : +33 4 67 59 38 85

Re: shape file representation

Jody Garnett-2
Another technique would be to do this with a style.

If you use a point symboliser it will draw the centred of each polygon. You could then make a formula based on the population size for the point symboliser size.

perhaps: 256.0*(POPULATION / 8000000000.0)

--
Jody Garnett

On Saturday, 5 May 2012 at 3:34 PM, andrea antonello wrote:

Hi,

I have a shape file with polygon, in my attributes I have the population of
each polygon.
I would like to have a representation where I can see the polygon and, one
circle representing the population for one polygon .
It should be like the attached file.
Is it possible with udig ?

right now I think you would need a step for getting the shown result.

That is what I would do:
- create a layer of the baricenters of the polygons (we will use a
points layer) -> reshape operation, see:
for the functions you can use
- in the same operation I also would create a new field that
normalizes the population value (you will use that as field that
defines the size of the point)

So the reshape operation would look like:

the_geom=baricenter(the_geom)
size=population/maxvalue

That will create you a new layer that will then produce the style you want.

Jody is working a lot on reshape and filters these days, so it might
already be easier.

Cheers,
Andrea

best regards
Thomas

--
Thomas DOLLEY
Projet GUYASIM
UMR ECOFOG
Bātiment D
TA C-105 / D Campus international de Baillarguet 34398 Montpellier Cedex 5
France
Tél : +33 4 67 59 38 85

Re: shape file representation

Andrea Antonello
> Another technique would be to do this with a style.
>
> If you use a point symboliser it will draw the centred of each polygon. You
> could then make a formula based on the population size for the point
> symboliser size.
>
> perhaps: 256.0*(POPULATION / 8000000000.0)

I think what you are saying is possible only the way I proposed it.
We have no way to add a point sybolizer to the polygon layer, so first
he has to create a point layer (centroid) and the rest is the same as
my workflow, right?

Andrea

> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On Saturday, 5 May 2012 at 3:34 PM, andrea antonello wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a shape file with polygon, in my attributes I have the population of
> each polygon.
> I would like to have a representation where I can see the polygon and, one
> circle representing the population for one polygon .
> It should be like the attached file.
> Is it possible with udig ?
>

> right now I think you would need a step for getting the shown result.
>
> That is what I would do:
> - create a layer of the baricenters of the polygons (we will use a
> points layer) -> reshape operation, see:
> http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Constraint+Query+Language
> for the functions you can use
> - in the same operation I also would create a new field that
> normalizes the population value (you will use that as field that
> defines the size of the point)
>
> So the reshape operation would look like:
>
> the_geom=baricenter(the_geom)
> size=population/maxvalue
>
> That will create you a new layer that will then produce the style you want.
>
> Jody is working a lot on reshape and filters these days, so it might
> already be easier.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrea
>

> best regards
> Thomas
>
> --
> Thomas DOLLEY
> Projet GUYASIM
> UMR ECOFOG
> Bātiment D
> TA C-105 / D Campus international de Baillarguet 34398 Montpellier Cedex 5
> France
> Tél : +33 4 67 59 38 85

Re: shape file representation

fgdrf
Hmm, I guess you can define a PointSymolizers with a "different"
geometry object coming from a geometry function such as centriod:

<PointSymbolizer>
  <Geometry>
     <ogc:Function name="centroid">
        <ogc:PropertyName>the_geom</ogc:PropertyName>
     </ogc:Function>
  </Geometry>
  <Graphic>
   [...]
  </Graphic>
</PointSymbolizer>
<PolygonSymbolizer>
  [...]
</PolygonSymbolizer>

Cheers
Frank

2012/5/6 andrea antonello <[hidden email]>:

>> Another technique would be to do this with a style.
>>
>> If you use a point symboliser it will draw the centred of each polygon. You
>> could then make a formula based on the population size for the point
>> symboliser size.
>>
>> perhaps: 256.0*(POPULATION / 8000000000.0)
>
> I think what you are saying is possible only the way I proposed it.
> We have no way to add a point sybolizer to the polygon layer, so first
> he has to create a point layer (centroid) and the rest is the same as
> my workflow, right?
>
> Andrea
>

>> --
>> Jody Garnett
>>
>> On Saturday, 5 May 2012 at 3:34 PM, andrea antonello wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a shape file with polygon, in my attributes I have the population of
>> each polygon.
>> I would like to have a representation where I can see the polygon and, one
>> circle representing the population for one polygon .
>> It should be like the attached file.
>> Is it possible with udig ?
>>

>> right now I think you would need a step for getting the shown result.
>>
>> That is what I would do:
>> - create a layer of the baricenters of the polygons (we will use a
>> points layer) -> reshape operation, see:
>> http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Constraint+Query+Language
>> for the functions you can use
>> - in the same operation I also would create a new field that
>> normalizes the population value (you will use that as field that
>> defines the size of the point)
>>
>> So the reshape operation would look like:
>>
>> the_geom=baricenter(the_geom)
>> size=population/maxvalue
>>
>> That will create you a new layer that will then produce the style you want.
>>
>> Jody is working a lot on reshape and filters these days, so it might
>> already be easier.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Andrea
>>

>> best regards
>> Thomas
>>
>> --
>> Thomas DOLLEY
>> Projet GUYASIM
>> UMR ECOFOG
>> Bātiment D
>> TA C-105 / D Campus international de Baillarguet 34398 Montpellier Cedex 5
>> France
>> Tél : +33 4 67 59 38 85

Re: shape file representation

Andrea Antonello
Ok, but that would require hand editing of the XML. Honestly, I would
rather prefer to follow my workflow and then go to the pub for the
following 8 hours that I would use to manually edit the xml.
Also another problem is that it is not assured that the property will
be kept and understood by the editor, so subsequent changes in, for
example, the label, might erase the unknown (not sure about that one
though).

Ciao,
Andrea