shared planter where you can harvest for free

shared planter where you can harvest for free

joost
Hi,

I stumbled upon some planters that are privately operated, on public domain, contain nothing but vegetables, and are meant for anyone passing by to help themselves. They are part of a project called "Incredible edibles" or "Incroyables comestibles". Here's an example:

I went with this:

man_made=planter
self_service=yes
fee=no
operator=Les Incroyables Comestibles

But it doesn't really grasp the concept IMHO. Any suggestions?

When looking for other examples, I found a Google MyMaps and several umap instances with local gardens. Showing this community that you can "simply map them in OpenStreetMap" would be nice. But first a data model!

--
Joost Schouppe

Re: shared planter where you can harvest for free

Philip Barnes
My town has an Incredible Edibles scheme running. There are no planters, it is in the ground around the square used for the weekly market, amongst other events.

Had been interested in how tag it.

They have a greenhouse made of plastic bottles.

See  Incredible Edibles Wem.

Phil (trigpoint)

--
Sent from my Sailfish device

Re: shared planter where you can harvest for free

Warin
These also exist on street verges instead of grass and pedestrian thoroughfares.

They maybe in planters, they may not.

They may have vegetables, herbs or fruit.

To me they are a :

leisure=garden
fee=no
operator=local community
produce=vegetables;herbs;fruit
garden:function=productive (note new tag I just invented .. hate garden:type=*! Other values? decorative, privacy, *)
access=yes
self_service=yes

On 04/07/19 19:36, Philip Barnes wrote:

> My town has an Incredible Edibles scheme running. There are no planters, it is in the ground around the square used for the weekly market, amongst other events.
>
> Had been interested in how tag it.
>
> They have a greenhouse made of plastic bottles.
>
> See  Incredible Edibles Wem.
>
> Phil (trigpoint)
>
> On Thursday, 4 July 2019, joost schouppe wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I stumbled upon some planters that are privately operated, on public
>> domain, contain nothing but vegetables, and are meant for anyone passing by
>> to help themselves. They are part of a project called "Incredible edibles"
>> or "Incroyables comestibles". Here's an example:
>>
>> https://www.mapillary.com/app/user/joostjakob?lat=50.6903739&lng=4.2589972&z=17&pKey=9sx6_zLDzHbXL8om62LfEg&focus=photo
>>
>> I went with this:
>>
>> man_made=planter
>> self_service=yes
>> fee=no
>> operator=Les Incroyables Comestibles
>>
>> But it doesn't really grasp the concept IMHO. Any suggestions?
>>
>> When looking for other examples, I found a Google MyMaps and several umap
>> instances with local gardens. Showing this community that you can "simply
>> map them in OpenStreetMap" would be nice. But first a data model!
>>
>> --
>> Joost Schouppe
>> OpenStreetMap <http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/joost%20schouppe/> |
>> Twitter <https://twitter.com/joostjakob> | LinkedIn
>> <https://www.linkedin.com/pub/joost-schouppe/48/939/603> | Meetup
>> <http://www.meetup.com/OpenStreetMap-Belgium/members/97979802/>

Re: shared planter where you can harvest for free

Topographe Fou

This makes me think of two already used tags but I'm not sure I would use them on planters as they describe large lands:

Yours,

LeTopographeFou
Le 04/07/2019 à 08:59, joost schouppe a écrit :
[...]

Thanks for the help!

I wouldn't want to lose the "Les Incroyables Comestibles" info, so as to be able to group them by project. But maybe brand=* is the better tag for that. Operator is actually "a specific private citizen", so that'd be operator:type=private or maybe community if it is actually run by several people together.
Allotments is indeed similar. If miniature zoos are permitted, maybe these are really tiny allotments. I don't really like it though, as it directly contradicts the first sentence of the wiki.

Op do 4 jul. 2019 om 22:41 schreef LeTopographeFou <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Tagging mailing list
On 7/5/2019 12:18 PM, joost schouppe wrote:

> Operator is actually "a specific private citizen"

What's the source of this definition? On the English wiki, operator is
"a company, corporation, person or any other entity who is directly in
charge of the current operation of a map object."

Re: shared planter where you can harvest for free

Paul Allen
On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 at 19:40, Jmapb via Tagging <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 7/5/2019 12:18 PM, joost schouppe wrote:

> Operator is actually "a specific private citizen"

What's the source of this definition? On the English wiki, operator is
"a company, corporation, person or any other entity who is directly in
charge of the current operation of a map object."

I read joost's comment as "The operator of this map object is a specific private citizen"
not as a redefinition of "operator."  But I could be wrnog.

--
Paul

On 7/5/2019 3:08 PM, Paul Allen wrote:

I read joost's comment as "The operator of this map object is a specific private citizen"
not as a redefinition of "operator."

Hah, probably. Regardless, I do think that Les Incroyables Comestibles/Incredible Edibles fits better under the brand key, or maybe network, than operator -- because it sounds like the organization simply organizes, and does not actually do the upkeep.

Anyway, my suggestion for these free produce spots would be amenity=public_produce, similar to amenity=public_bookcase.

Jason

On Friday, 5 July 2019, Jmapb via Tagging wrote:

> On 7/5/2019 3:08 PM, Paul Allen wrote:
>
> > I read joost's comment as "The operator of this map object is a
> > specific private citizen"
> > not as a redefinition of "operator."
> >
> Hah, probably. Regardless, I do think that Les Incroyables
> Comestibles/Incredible Edibles fits better under the brand key, or maybe
> network, than operator -- because it sounds like the organization simply
> organizes, and does not actually do the upkeep.
>
> Anyway, my suggestion for these free produce spots would be
> amenity=public_produce, similar to amenity=public_bookcase.

I am thinking my local garden, which is looking very nice at the moment would be
network='Incredible Edibles'
operator='Incredible Edibles Wem'

And add website and contact:facebook tags.

Phil (trigpoint)

--
Sent from my Sailfish device

Re: shared planter where you can harvest for free

joost
I like your suggestion, Jason.

Also, indeed I meant the operator of this specific thing is a person, not "let's change the definition of operator=*" :)