shop=clothes vs shop=fashion

Tagging mailing list

> Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 23:16:58 +0100
> From: Markus [hidden email]
> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
> [hidden email]
> Subject: Re:

> I'm in favour of deprecating shop=fashion because of its unclear
> meaning, but i prefer to keep shop=boutique for (and only for) small
> shops selling high-priced clothes and accessories.

shop=boutique is also one of the most confusing tags for French speaking people, especially in Africa as boutique is used there for another type of shops (the most common one: small shops selling food items): http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/GOO

Severin

Re: shop=clothes vs shop=fashion

Markus-5
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 at 10:35, severin.menard via Tagging
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> shop=boutique is also one of the most confusing tags for French speaking people, especially in Africa as boutique is used there for another type of shops (the most common one: small shops selling food items): http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/GOO

I'm aware of this linguistic problem. But instead of abandoning
shop=boutique, this problem can be solved if editors correct the
French translation ("boutique de mode"?) and if renderers display an
appropriate icon (maybe a shirt and a handbag?).

Regards

Markus

Re: shop=clothes vs shop=fashion

Jean-Marc Liotier
On 3/10/19 10:33 AM, severin.menard via Tagging wrote:
> Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 23:16:58 +0100
>> From: Markus [hidden email]
>>
>> I'm in favour of deprecating shop=fashion because of its unclear
>> meaning, but i prefer to keep shop=boutique for (and only for) small
>> shops selling high-priced clothes and accessories.
> shop=boutique is also one of the most confusing tags for French speaking people, especially in Africa as boutique is used there for another type of shops (the most common one: small shops selling food items): http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/GOO

Hello Severin ! Enock and I mentioned that here a few days ago -
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2019-March/043462.html

On 3/10/19 1:30 PM, Markus wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 at 10:35, severin.menard via Tagging
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> shop=boutique is also one of the most confusing tags for French speaking people, especially in Africa as boutique is used there for another type of shops (the most common one: small shops selling food items): http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/GOO
> I'm aware of this linguistic problem. But instead of abandoning
> shop=boutique, this problem can be solved if editors correct the
> French translation ("boutique de mode"?) and if renderers display an
> appropriate icon (maybe a shirt and a handbag?).

That would help - I would insist on the luxury aspect, something like
"vĂȘtements de luxe".

But ultimately, I believe that shop=clothe+clothes=luxury would take
that special case back into the fold of a logical tagging scheme... The
fewer special cases the better !

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 at 18:11, Jean-Marc Liotier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But ultimately, I believe that shop=clothe+clothes=luxury would take
> that special case back into the fold of a logical tagging scheme... The
> fewer special cases the better !

This seems like an even better solution. (Though, we still have the
problem with the clothes=* key being used for divergent features.
Maybe pricing=luxury instead?)