should we migrate to osm forum

mtrax
I assume everyone is familiar with the OSM forum at this url:
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/index.php

Do you think we should request a section to Australian users?
I personally find it easier to respond on forums than mailing lists.

Do people have a positive or negative opinion?
otherwise I guess I could request a section and see how it goes?

Paul

Re: should we migrate to osm forum

David Dean
Mtrax,

mtrax wrote
Do you think we should request a section to Australian users?
I personally find it easier to respond on forums than mailing lists.
Yes, having an australian section on the forum would of course be useful, and it seems to be that moving to forums would probably be the long term trend in this kind of thing. However, if you still want to access the mailing list but in a forum-like format, have you tried gmane.org or nabble.com ? For example, I use http://www.nabble.com/OpenStreetMap---Australian-Talk-f35319.html to read the Australian mailing list so that I can subscribe to the resulting RSS feed in Google Reader. Same with the general and routing mailing lists.

If we moved to forum-based discussions I would hope full-text RSS feeds could be provided, but they don't seem to exist on the OSM forums at the moment at least.

- David

Re: should we migrate to osm forum

Franc Carter

I think flexibility is the core thing needed from whatever is used for mass communication. Some
people find email better, some forms and some rss. So if we are gong to change then I think
it needs to support mirroring to all three of these.

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 6:48 AM, David Dean <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mtrax,

mtrax wrote:

> Do you think we should request a section to Australian users?
> I personally find it easier to respond on forums than mailing lists.

Yes, having an australian section on the forum would of course be useful,
and it seems to be that moving to forums would probably be the long term
trend in this kind of thing. However, if you still want to access the
mailing list but in a forum-like format, have you tried gmane.org or
nabble.com ? For example, I use
http://www.nabble.com/OpenStreetMap---Australian-Talk-f35319.html to read
the Australian mailing list so that I can subscribe to the resulting RSS
feed in Google Reader. Same with the general and routing mailing lists.

If we moved to forum-based discussions I would hope full-text RSS feeds
could be provided, but they don't seem to exist on the OSM forums at the
moment at least.

- David

Franc

Re: should we migrate to osm forum

Ben Kelley-4
Hi.

Personally I'd prefer the forum (but I'm happy to stay with the e-mail list).

 - Ben.

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 11:52 PM, Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:
I assume everyone is familiar with the OSM forum at this url:
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/index.php

Do you think we should request a section to Australian users?
I personally find it easier to respond on forums than mailing lists.

Do people have a positive or negative opinion?
otherwise I guess I could request a section and see how it goes?

Paul

Re: should we migrate to osm forum

Kim Hawtin-2
Ben Kelley wrote:
> Personally I'd prefer the forum (but I'm happy to stay with the e-mail
> list).

Forums for the most part consume a lot more time in the catching up
the same number of messages. Most require you to be a logged in member.
Most have dodgy javascript and endless banner ads =/

Email is a lot simpler and a lot faster, to manage and to read.

regards,

Kim
--
Operating Systems, Services and Operations

Re: should we migrate to osm forum

Darryl Ross-4
Kim Hawtin wrote:
> Email is a lot simpler and a lot faster, to manage and to read.

In addition to that, I'm likely to forget to check a forum regularly and
then lose interest.

My email is about the only thing I check all the time, I even have my
RSS feeds emailed to me by my linux server.

Cheers
Darryl

Re: should we migrate to osm forum

Ross Scanlon
Also some workplaces restrict access to forum sites but not private email.

So when I have to be at work and theres nothing happening it's nice to check through my emails but I would not be able to access a forum.

Cheers
Ross