slow osm.org tile server

Wolfram Schneider
Hi,

I noticed that the standard OSM tile servers
(N.tile.openstreetmap.org) are currently slow.

On the site

  https://mc.bbbike.org/mc/

you will see that OSM is the slowest, and takes at least 5 seconds to
get all tiles. The other servers responses in less than a second.

Downloading a single tile is also always slow:

curl https://b.tile.openstreetmap.org/11/1100/671.png >/dev/null
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 41017  100 41017    0     0   7658      0  0:00:05  0:00:05 --:--:--  7146

it seems that there is a delay of 5 seconds until the tile is fully
delivered, and the download rate is at 7Kbyte/s. I tried this from
different locations (Bay Area, NYC, Germany) - the result is always
the same.

PS: if I do not use HTTPS and instead plain old HTTP, it will take
only 0.3 - 0.6 seconds.

Any idea whats wrong with the HTTPS setup for the tile servers?

-Wolfram

--
Wolfram Schneider <[hidden email]> https://wolfram.schneider.org
Planet.osm extracts: https://extract.bbbike.org

Re: slow osm.org tile server

Wolfram Schneider
On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 at 18:16, Wolfram Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that the standard OSM tile servers
> (N.tile.openstreetmap.org) are currently slow.
>
> On the site
>
>   https://mc.bbbike.org/mc/
>
> you will see that OSM is the slowest, and takes at least 5 seconds to
> get all tiles. The other servers responses in less than a second.
>
> Downloading a single tile is also always slow:
>
> curl https://b.tile.openstreetmap.org/11/1100/671.png >/dev/null
>   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
>                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
> 100 41017  100 41017    0     0   7658      0  0:00:05  0:00:05 --:--:--  7146
>
> it seems that there is a delay of 5 seconds until the tile is fully
> delivered, and the download rate is at 7Kbyte/s. I tried this from
> different locations (Bay Area, NYC, Germany) - the result is always
> the same.

it was better in the last week, down to 2-3 seconds. But not it is
slow as hell again and takes more than 6.5 seconds to fetch a single
tile:

time curl -sSf https://c.tile.openstreetmap.org/11/1100/671.png >/dev/null
real 0m6.587s
user 0m0.017s
sys 0m0.009s

you can repeat the request and it is still slow (5+ seconds).

who is in charge of the HTTPS setup for OSM?

-Wolfram

> PS: if I do not use HTTPS and instead plain old HTTP, it will take
> only 0.3 - 0.6 seconds.
>
> Any idea whats wrong with the HTTPS setup for the tile servers?
>
> -Wolfram
>

> --
> Wolfram Schneider <[hidden email]> https://wolfram.schneider.org
> Planet.osm extracts: https://extract.bbbike.org
> BBBike Map Compare: https://mc.bbbike.org/mc

--
Wolfram Schneider <[hidden email]> https://wolfram.schneider.org

Re: slow osm.org tile server

Miroslav Suchy
Dne 09. 04. 19 v 20:39 Wolfram Schneider napsal(a):
> I noticed that the standard OSM tile servers
> (N.tile.openstreetmap.org) are currently slow.

It seems to be global problem for past few hours. I've seen problems in
transantlantic connections using L3
https://www.downdetector.com/status/level3

You can see it on AWS status:
https://www.downdetector.com/status/aws-amazon-web-services

Miroslav

Re: slow osm.org tile server

Tom Hughes-3
On 09/04/2019 19:39, Wolfram Schneider wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 at 18:16, Wolfram Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed that the standard OSM tile servers
>> (N.tile.openstreetmap.org) are currently slow.
>>
>> On the site
>>
>>    https://mc.bbbike.org/mc/
>>
>> you will see that OSM is the slowest, and takes at least 5 seconds to
>> get all tiles. The other servers responses in less than a second.
>>
>> Downloading a single tile is also always slow:
>>
>> curl https://b.tile.openstreetmap.org/11/1100/671.png >/dev/null
>>    % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
>>                                   Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
>> 100 41017  100 41017    0     0   7658      0  0:00:05  0:00:05 --:--:--  7146
>>
>> it seems that there is a delay of 5 seconds until the tile is fully
>> delivered, and the download rate is at 7Kbyte/s. I tried this from
>> different locations (Bay Area, NYC, Germany) - the result is always
>> the same.
>
> it was better in the last week, down to 2-3 seconds. But not it is
> slow as hell again and takes more than 6.5 seconds to fetch a single
> tile:
>
> time curl -sSf https://c.tile.openstreetmap.org/11/1100/671.png >/dev/null
> real 0m6.587s
> user 0m0.017s
> sys 0m0.009s
>
> you can repeat the request and it is still slow (5+ seconds).
>
> who is in charge of the HTTPS setup for OSM?

Using curl like that will be slow beause you are being put
in a deliberate slow lane when not coming via the web site.

Tom

> -Wolfram
>

>> PS: if I do not use HTTPS and instead plain old HTTP, it will take
>> only 0.3 - 0.6 seconds.
>>
>> Any idea whats wrong with the HTTPS setup for the tile servers?
>>
>> -Wolfram
>>

>> --
>> Wolfram Schneider <[hidden email]> https://wolfram.schneider.org
>> Planet.osm extracts: https://extract.bbbike.org
>> BBBike Map Compare: https://mc.bbbike.org/mc

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: slow osm.org tile server

Wolfram Schneider
On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 at 08:56, Tom Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/04/2019 19:39, Wolfram Schneider wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 at 18:16, Wolfram Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I noticed that the standard OSM tile servers
> >> (N.tile.openstreetmap.org) are currently slow.
> >>
> >> On the site
> >>
> >>    https://mc.bbbike.org/mc/
> >>
> >> you will see that OSM is the slowest, and takes at least 5 seconds to
> >> get all tiles. The other servers responses in less than a second.
> >>
> >> Downloading a single tile is also always slow:
> >>
> >> curl https://b.tile.openstreetmap.org/11/1100/671.png >/dev/null
> >>    % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
> >>                                   Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
> >> 100 41017  100 41017    0     0   7658      0  0:00:05  0:00:05 --:--:--  7146
> >>
> >> it seems that there is a delay of 5 seconds until the tile is fully
> >> delivered, and the download rate is at 7Kbyte/s. I tried this from
> >> different locations (Bay Area, NYC, Germany) - the result is always
> >> the same.
> >
> > it was better in the last week, down to 2-3 seconds. But not it is
> > slow as hell again and takes more than 6.5 seconds to fetch a single
> > tile:
> >
> > time curl -sSf https://c.tile.openstreetmap.org/11/1100/671.png >/dev/null
> > real 0m6.587s
> > user 0m0.017s
> > sys 0m0.009s
> >
> > you can repeat the request and it is still slow (5+ seconds).
> >
> > who is in charge of the HTTPS setup for OSM?
>
> Using curl like that will be slow beause you are being put
> in a deliberate slow lane when not coming via the web site.

I first noticed the slow tile servers while visiting the main web site
https://www.openstreetmap.org using a browser. It didn't matter which
browser I used, Safari, Firefox, Google Chrome etc. This was more than
4 weeks ago. Changing the user agent does not speedup anything. You
can use an empty user agent, a random user agent ("foobar") or a real
one, same results. If there is a slow lane, then apparently all user
agent are effected.

Google Chrome reports a page load time of 7 seconds for
https://www.openstreetmap.org which is notable slow and you don't want
use in a presentation or show your mom. If you move the slippymap, it
will takes another 5 seconds.

In contrast, the OpenCycleMap https://www.opencyclemap.org loads in
less than a second (!). For me, both tile servers
(https://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/ and
https://a.tile.thunderforest.com/cycle) are running at the same data
center at hetzner.com (ping time < 20ms). It is unlikely a provider
issue.

I run the tests from different locations (US West, US East, Germany,
Finland) and different providers (Yahoo, Alibaba, Hetzner, Vodafone,
Telefonica) - same results. Big providers may have network slowdowns,
but they usually fix this in minutes or hours.

My gut feeling is that something is wrong with the SSL setup at
tile.openstreetmap.org. Feel free to contact me if you have any
question.

-Wolfram

--
Wolfram Schneider <[hidden email]> https://wolfram.schneider.org

Re: slow osm.org tile server

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
For previous attempts to fix it, please look into  https://github.com/openstreetmap/chef/pull/97 - in 2016 delay pools were mindlessly set to unusable limits if your ISP happens to have more than a couple of OpenStreetMap users, and not all the values were raised since then.

--
Wolfram Schneider <[hidden email]> https://wolfram.schneider.org

Darafei Praliaskouski