t at h/osmarender being phased out (at least from my side)

t at h/osmarender being phased out (at least from my side)

pixolex-2
Hello,

I've been reading this mailing list archives since I started to
contribute to Tiles @ Home, and now I'm reading this mail saying that
osmarender is being phased out.

First of all, a big thanks to all the developers whose contribution made
Tiles @ Home possible.

This mail explains a lot to a new contributer like me. I was thinking
from the beginning that my contributions were the tiles I see every day
in OSM, but no, they were part of another layer, the Mapnik.

Well, with all the explanations I've read in this mail I think that T@H
v2.0 should be something that really could help OSM, like T@H helped in
the beginning of OSM. And that help, in my opinion, pass by take some
load from the OSM servers.

I think that there are lots of OSM users, like me, that download lots of
tiles to use in the cache of mobile devices. I use OSMtracker to map the
places I pass, and don't want to pay for a 3G connection to have the
tiles updated every day, so I use TileManager from OSMtracker to update
and download tiles. The problem is that every time I update my cached
tiles I'm putting some load in the servers, instead I could being
rendering them AT HOME.

So, the T@H v2.0 should be an application to download the raw actualized
data from a central server and render it in tiles to use AT HOME, in a
easy way.

I've already stopped my T@H virtual machine :(

Re: t at h/osmarender being phased out (at least from my side)

spaetz
> This mail explains a lot to a new contributer like me. I was thinking
> from the beginning that my contributions were the tiles I see every day
> in OSM, but no, they were part of another layer, the Mapnik.

Heh, right.
> So, the T@H v2.0 should be an application to download the raw actualized
> data from a central server and render it in tiles to use AT HOME, in a
> easy way.

Well, the client can already do that. :) So that's one problem solved.

> I've already stopped my T@H virtual machine :(

Don't. Just because *WE* don't have the motivation to develop it
further, doesn't mean it isn't useful or is being stopped. As deelkar
rightly said. At its current pace, t@h liftime is years rather than
months.

Sebastian