tagged links to photos

Nevw
Are we free to add tag links to images to OSM as in this.
http://overpass-api.de/achavi/?changeset=57903447
The https://www.bushtrax.com site is copyrighted so I assume that such links to the photos need to be either accompanied by permission or disclaimer or suitable licence or display of the copyright, etc from the copyright holder.
Does anything need to be documented on this page https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors#Australia.
Or is any url from the web of an image ok to be pasted without any further consideration other than relevance?
Nev

tagged links to photos

Nevw
clarification….as on most of the yellow nodes in the Achavi link…

> On 8 Apr 2018, at 12:31 PM, nwastra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Are we free to add tag links to images to OSM as in this.
> http://overpass-api.de/achavi/?changeset=57903447
> The https://www.bushtrax.com site is copyrighted so I assume that such links to the photos need to be either accompanied by permission or disclaimer or suitable licence or display of the copyright, etc from the copyright holder.
> Does anything need to be documented on this page https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors#Australia.
> Or is any url from the web of an image ok to be pasted without any further consideration other than relevance?
> Nev

Re: tagged links to photos

Andrew Harvey-3

The wiki summarises the image key pretty well https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:image

The image may be copyrighted, but a including a link should be fine, just as the website key links to copyrighted websites. We're not using that image to derive any information about the object in OSM.

Personally, due to the reasons mentioned on the wiki we should discourage use of the image key, anyone that wants an image of that viewport can query wikimedia, flickr, Mapillary, etc. for photos within a few meters of the location.

On 8 April 2018 at 12:31, nwastra <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are we free to add tag links to images to OSM as in this.
http://overpass-api.de/achavi/?changeset=57903447
The https://www.bushtrax.com site is copyrighted so I assume that such links to the photos need to be either accompanied by permission or disclaimer or suitable licence or display of the copyright, etc from the copyright holder.
Does anything need to be documented on this page https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors#Australia.
Or is any url from the web of an image ok to be pasted without any further consideration other than relevance?
Nev

Re: tagged links to photos

forster
Nev

My guess is that its OK to link to copyright data without any
disclaimer. I do however have concerns about the verifiability of
these nodes and relevance of the images.

Would we identify these locations as viewpoints? I doubt it.

The images are not of the mapped feature, they are from the viewpoint
not of the viewpoint.

Tony

> Are we free to add tag links to images to OSM as in this.
> http://overpass-api.de/achavi/?changeset=57903447
> The https://www.bushtrax.com site is copyrighted so I assume that
> such links to the photos need to be either accompanied by permission
>  or disclaimer or suitable licence or display of the copyright, etc
> from the copyright holder.
> Does anything need to be documented on this page
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors#Australia.
> Or is any url from the web of an image ok to be pasted without any
> further consideration other than relevance?
> Nev

> This mail has been virus scanned by Australia On Line
> see http://www.australiaonline.net.au/mailscanning

tagged links to photos

Nevw
A GoogleMaps image is ok too?…when they are of of a mapped feature (and not used to map the feature)? or is this different?
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33.9560741,119.9166289,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipM_Vhku1tFjnVrw8FDsYSYLFmw0Evpu6UsVGGQ1!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipM_Vhku1tFjnVrw8FDsYSYLFmw0Evpu6UsVGGQ1%3Dw203-h114-k-no!7i5344!8i3006

>> Are we free to add tag links to images to OSM as in this.
>> http://overpass-api.de/achavi/?changeset=57903447
>> The https://www.bushtrax.com site is copyrighted so I assume that  such links to the photos need to be either accompanied by permission  or disclaimer or suitable licence or display of the copyright, etc  from the copyright holder.
>> Does anything need to be documented on this page  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors#Australia.
>> Or is any url from the web of an image ok to be pasted without any  further consideration other than relevance?
>> Nev

>> This mail has been virus scanned by Australia On Line
>> see http://www.australiaonline.net.au/mailscanning

tagged links to photos

Nevw
I think Google images are an exception after looking at the following and point 2d  seems particularly relevant.
At https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:image the ‘unresolved issues’ should be considered and commonsense would suggest that Google images are not suitable.

Thanks for your comments.
Nev