tagging a public waste incinerator complex

tagging a public waste incinerator complex

Tagging mailing list
TL;DR: OSM wiki says to tag incinerators as “power generators” - but what if they are old-style ones not used for power generation? How do you tag those? just use the same tags for consistency?

~~~~~~~

Where I live, most residential and commercial garbage is burned locally at incinerator plants. Garbage cans are marked “burnable” and “unburnable” for this reason.

Each city has one or more waste centers that consolidates, sorts, and burns the burnable waste. This is in stark contrast to California, where waste is buried in landfills.

This is my City’s.  It is a recycling center, a waste transfer station (for the unburnables), and a massive incinerator for burning the garbage. there is a (very small) landfill for burying the ash.

Incinerators are *sometimes* used for electricity generation - some of the incinerators are so old, or so small (for a small village), that they don't generate any electricity - they are merely disposals.

This one is tagged as a power generator becuase (AKAIK) it *is* used for generation. Waste heat is alsoused for heating water for the adjacent swimming pool, which is common. But there are several more in my region that are very old that do not do anything but burn waste.

How should I tag a generic industrial-scale waste incinerator (that is not a power plant). the only way it is a “waste transfer staton” is if you consider the smoke is being transferred into the sky.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/669039486 here is an old one that (now) only burns certain types of selected waste. I imagine it handled all types of waste in the past (its pretty old).

I tagged it as a waste transfer station & power generator  (for consistency), but I feel this is an error.

Is this consistent, yet incorrect, tagging proper for such situations? What tagging should I use instead?

Javbw

Re: tagging a public waste incinerator complex

> On 13. Feb 2019, at 05:26, John Willis via Tagging <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I tagged it as a waste transfer station & power generator  (for consistency), but I feel this is an error.

if there isnt a power generator you should not tag it like one. Maybe we don’t have a common tag yet, you could tag it with man_made=incinerator (there are already 8 of them and it seems a perfect fit)

man_made=works does not apply as it is not a production plant.

Cheers, Martin

Re: tagging a public waste incinerator complex

Joseph Eisenberg
> tag it with man_made=incinerator

+1
On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 4:27 PM Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]> wrote:

sent from a phone

> On 13. Feb 2019, at 05:26, John Willis via Tagging <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I tagged it as a waste transfer station & power generator  (for consistency), but I feel this is an error.

if there isnt a power generator you should not tag it like one. Maybe we don’t have a common tag yet, you could tag it with man_made=incinerator (there are already 8 of them and it seems a perfect fit)

man_made=works does not apply as it is not a production plant.

Cheers, Martin

Re: tagging a public waste incinerator complex

Warin
On 13/02/19 20:16, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> tag it with man_made=incinerator

+1

+ another 1

Use the description key if you think there should be any explanation e.g. description= waste incinerator

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 4:27 PM Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]> wrote:

sent from a phone

> On 13. Feb 2019, at 05:26, John Willis via Tagging <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I tagged it as a waste transfer station & power generator  (for consistency), but I feel this is an error.

if there isnt a power generator you should not tag it like one. Maybe we don’t have a common tag yet, you could tag it with man_made=incinerator (there are already 8 of them and it seems a perfect fit)

man_made=works does not apply as it is not a production plant.

Cheers, Martin

Re: tagging a public waste incinerator complex

Stephan Bösch-Plepelits-2
On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 08:25:22AM +0100, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> > On 13. Feb 2019, at 05:26, John Willis via Tagging <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I tagged it as a waste transfer station & power generator  (for consistency), but I feel this is an error.
>
> if there isnt a power generator you should not tag it like one. Maybe we don’t have a common tag yet, you could tag it with man_made=incinerator (there are already 8 of them and it seems a perfect fit)

Sounds good!

I just added man_made=incincerator and power=generator,
generator:source=waste to the Category "Disposal" in OpenStreetBrowser.
Hope this is helpful!

=> https://www.openstreetbrowser.org/#categories=waste

greetings,
        Stephan
--
Seid unbequem, seid Sand, nicht Öl im Getriebe der Welt! - Günther Eich
,----------------------------------------------------------------------.

Re: tagging a public waste incinerator complex

On Feb 13, 2019, at 4:25 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]> wrote:

man_made=incinerator

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I will tag them as a man_made=incinerator.

Then, shouldn’t we be tagging *all of these* as man_made=incinerators? (power and non-power generating alike?)

There shouldn’t be any key/value incompatibility.

for a modern incinerator complex which handles both burnable and unburnable waste:

man_made=incinerator
power=generator
generator:source=waste
amenity=waste_transfer_station
(in fact, the only conflict I see is that amenity=recycling & amenity=waste_transfer_station can’t be on the same landuse, which is an often shared job here in Japan, but that is for another day).

I feel this should be the main tag for all incinerators. if they produce power via a form of waste disposal, then the additional power generation tags should be added.

There are obviously power plants (and other industrial processes) that are purpose-built to use unrecyclable waste as a fuel (tire-burning smelters, etc), but all of these incinerators around me are primarily for getting rid of the garbage generated by a city.

I feel we should clarify the tagging scheme to tag *all* these incinerators as man_made=incinerator and add the power generation when necessary.

Javbw

Re: tagging a public waste incinerator complex

Joseph Eisenberg
> shouldn’t we be tagging *all of these* as man_made=incinerators

Yes, I agree this would be helpful. I imagine that most incinerators are built primarily to dispose of trash. The electrical generation is a side-benefit but probably doesn’t pencil out financially alone.