tagging large farm complexes

Tagging mailing list
I am currently mapping the Japanese imperial stock farm.

it is a large farm complex, operated by the imperial household of Japan (the emperor’s family), with different farmyards for various farm animals, with a lot of pasture, farmland, and amenties for visitors (a guest house, staff housing, an office, a park, parking lots, etc).

to me the individual areas are obviously farmyards, and the other areas are easily mappable - but what about the entire landuse? is it  commercial? farmyard?

I currently tagged as commercial, but I have the suspicion that is wrong - or every farm in Japan would be landuse=commercial, but this is like a weird tourist-farm-zoo kind of place.

any suggestions for the proper encompassing tagging?

javbw

Re: tagging large farm complexes

Mateusz Konieczny-3

20 May 2019, 02:05 by [hidden email]:
to me the individual areas are obviously farmyards, and the other areas are easily mappable - but what about the entire landuse? is it  commercial? farmyard?

I currently tagged as commercial, but I have the suspicion that is wrong - or every farm in Japan would be landuse=commercial, but this is like a weird tourist-farm-zoo kind of place.
landuse=commercial seems to be for trade/service ("tertiary sector").

So while a typical farm would not be landuse=commercial one that is more tourism attraction
that a farm may qualify.

Though I am not aware about zoos within landuse=commercial areas.

I would probably not map it as landuse=commercial but also not revert edit that added
landuse=commercial (assuming that it is a de facto zoo).

Re: tagging large farm complexes

dieterdreist
Am Mo., 20. Mai 2019 um 12:59 Uhr schrieb Mateusz Konieczny <[hidden email]>:

20 May 2019, 02:05 by [hidden email]:
to me the individual areas are obviously farmyards, and the other areas are easily mappable - but what about the entire landuse? is it  commercial? farmyard?

I currently tagged as commercial, but I have the suspicion that is wrong - or every farm in Japan would be landuse=commercial, but this is like a weird tourist-farm-zoo kind of place.
landuse=commercial seems to be for trade/service ("tertiary sector").

So while a typical farm would not be landuse=commercial one that is more tourism attraction
that a farm may qualify.

I would not tag a zoo or a farm as "commercial" landuse. landuse=commercial in OSM is basically about administration, because retail has its own tag. On the other hand I agree, as there wasn't a definition (beside an example) for this for a very long time, the meaning of the tag may not be clear in general, and eventually, retail may be considered a subclass of a commercial landuse (as well in OSM). It is not completely unseen to have different levels of specifity on the same level of landuse (e.g. landuse=farmland / orchard / vineyard /...). Basically, landuse is a mess, and it tends to get worse with the time (e.g. landuse=religious which may be orthogonal to residential, commercial, ... ). Different readings are normal because the tag is not well defined.

I would probably not map it as landuse=commercial but also not revert edit that added
landuse=commercial (assuming that it is a de facto zoo).

+1