testing:Taginfo for African, Central-American, etc countries ( test: ~100)

testing:Taginfo for African, Central-American, etc countries ( test: ~100)

Imre Samu
TLDR: I am working on a "dockerization of Taginfo" for every country and now I can show you a Proof of Concepts of my idea,
and if you have time please test, give a feedback.
And I am searching sponsors/funds/microgrants/*  for hosting/dev   if this project is useful.
Temporary link ( for the next 2 week )   http://taginfo-dev.opengeodata.hu/
Source code / issues / problems /  latest info  =>   https://github.com/taginfo/dockerized-taginfo

========

I am believing that a customized local taginfo can help on HOT's disaster preparedness

The global taginfo (https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/ )   is a very good tool for find tagging trends,
but shows all problems  in the OSM - and this is similar to the "diffusion of responsibility", too many problems.
The local taginfo show only the local data and so much easy to detect tagging problems, bad imports,  and other data quality issues.
But this is my theory, no proof yet.  And there are more dead taginfo projects than living, just see: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Taginfo/Sites

So I have started an experiment and created a program to generate a local taginfo server configuration for every area ( ~ 4000 )
And now I can run ~100 mini taginfo server on a cheap 15GB Cloud server.  ( but this is only a Proof of Concept, more work need )

So If somebody wants to help on testing or just interested your area :
the (temporary)  links here:
http://taginfo-dev.opengeodata.hu/africa/  ( every African country ! )
http://taginfo-dev.opengeodata.hu/central-america/  ( every Central-America country )
( Important:  temporary links for the next 2 weeks!  daily refresh only for Africa and Central-America  )

If you need an extra country for testing - write me.

For example:

find undocumented key-values
amenity=mobile_money_agent
* amenity=private_toilets   / amenity=private_toilet
* highway=footpath
* ...

or find an undocumented keys or typos:
* damage=             http://af-tz.taginfo-dev.opengeodata.hu/keys/damage
* highways=           http://af-tz.taginfo-dev.opengeodata.hu/keys/highways   typo 327 highway(s)
buildng=              http://af-tz.taginfo-dev.opengeodata.hu/keys/buildng       typo
* top_width=           http://af-tz.taginfo-dev.opengeodata.hu/keys/top_width

checking tagging problems:

Some Extra Bonus  ( no daily refresh  , just a Proof of Concept  )
==============================
California (US) : http://na-us-ca.taginfo-dev.opengeodata.hu/

Mongolia: http://as-mn.taginfo-dev.opengeodata.hu/
Nepal:  http://as-np.taginfo-dev.opengeodata.hu/

Antarctica:    http://aq-aq.taginfo-dev.opengeodata.hu/

see all:  http://taginfo-dev.opengeodata.hu/

Disclaimer:
*This code is based on other open source projects:  see https://github.com/taginfo/dockerized-taginfo#credits  and using Geofabrik daily extracts.

//  Remainder: links valid for the next 2 weeks!  after shutdown or change.

I love this community  :)
  Imre
  // ImreSamu

Re: testing:Taginfo for African, Central-American, etc countries ( test: ~100)

verdy_p
I wonder if the choice (in domain names) of non standard prefix for continental areas before the country code really helps making the instances per country really accessible: "ca-ni.*" for example should just be "ni.*", or "as-lk.*" should just be "lk.*", there's no need to use a continental area prefix, but if you need some prefix, it should be the same for all countries (e.g. "cc-ni.* for Nicaragua, and "cc-lk" for Sri Lanka), or you could use submains of a common generic domain (e.g. "ni.cc.*" and "lk.cc.*").

The classification of countries per continent or continental is problematic when they have parts covering multiple continental areas (e.g. France, UK, US, Turkey, Cyprus, Russia, Venezuela): there's no well defined mapping of countries to a single continental area even for those that are encoded in ISO 3166-1 (with also dependant territories having a secondary ISO 3166-1 code and sevral aliases allocated). Even for America this is quite complex: is the Caribbean only part of North America, what to do about Venezuelan dependencies in the Antillas ?). So to use these instances we would then need to maintain custom mappings in other tools (including on the OSM wiki that attempts to map relevant Taginfo instances, for now by mapping some per country instances from languages).

How do you intend to support translations and localisation/adaptation (e.g. Bidi layout, recommended minimum font size, and required minimum line-height per script) on these per-country Taginfo instances, in countries that have multiple languages (e.g. Switzerland, Belgium, Morocco or India) ?

> [...]

//  Remainder: links valid for the next 2 weeks!  after shutdown or change.

I love this community  :)
  Imre
  // ImreSamu

Re: testing:Taginfo for African, Central-American, etc countries ( test: ~100)

Imre Samu
>I wonder if the choice (in domain names) of non standard prefix for continental areas before the country code really helps making the instances per country really accessible: "ca-ni.*"
>for example should just be "ni.*", or "as-lk.*" should just be "lk.*", there's no need to use a continental area prefix, but if you need some prefix,
> it should be the same for all countries (e.g. "cc-ni.* for Nicaragua, and "cc-lk" for Sri Lanka), or you could use submains of a common generic domain (e.g. "ni.cc.*" and "lk.cc.*").

Now I am using Geofabrik ~ continents ( https://download.geofabrik.de/ )  + Russia : https://download.geofabrik.de/russia.html
and _now_ -  I need to separate the countries by inputs("continents")   - and it is like  ~ prefix  or a grouping    ( If I have more resources ( RAM /DISK)  it is easy to change )

the (reversed) subdomain is a good idea.   ( "ni.ca.*" )
or  I can use a longer name:      "nicaragua.central-america.taginfo-dev.*"       But the "ISO" code more neutral.

> The classification of countries per continent or continental is problematic when they have parts covering multiple continental areas (e.g. France, UK, US, Turkey, Cyprus, Russia, Venezuela):

I have "low resources" so my first decision was to use Geofabrik Continents, not perfect, but it is working.
-  Turkey, Cyprus, :  in https://download.geofabrik.de/europe.html
-  outside of UK: usually has an iso code.   (  MS = Monserat: http://ca-ms.taginfo-dev.opengeodata.hu/http://ca-vg.taginfo-dev.opengeodata.hu/, ... )
-  US,CA,FR,DE  - better to use States ( ISO3166-2 )
-  Now for FR, NL, ES, DK  -  I am using  the https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/ISO3166-2

fr-bl Saint Barthélemy ca-fr-bl.taginfo-dev.opengeodata.hu Saint-Barthélemy
fr-mf Saint Martin         ca-fr-mf.taginfo-dev.opengeodata.hu Saint-Martin

nl-sx Saint Martin ca-nl-sx.taginfo-dev.opengeodata.hu Sint Maarten

es-cn  Canary Islands af-es-cn.taginfo-dev.opengeodata.hu Canarias
es-gc   Las Palmas af-es-gc.taginfo-dev.opengeodata.hu Las Palmas
es-ml  Melilla af-es-ml.taginfo-dev.opengeodata.hu Melilla
es-tf          Santa Cruz de Tenerife af-es-tf.taginfo-dev.opengeodata.hu Santa Cruz de Tenerife

But this is a simple customization.  If somebody need I can generate ~ 4000 areas based on ISO3166-2

>So to use these instances we would then need to maintain custom mappings in other tools
> (including on the OSM wiki that attempts to map relevant Taginfo instances, for now by mapping some per country instances from languages).

maybe we can create an API  ( and query the working taginfo instances , or just link the proxy page   )

In my mind, this is a dynamic ...

in an emergency case we can start a Taginfo for a subarea like: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1600775#map=7/-5.693/34.409 and can reach via :      "tz-23.africa.*"    or a    "q153326.africa.*"   domai ,and we can stop 2 moth later.

But the other integration nothing to do:
- Overpass Turbo search :  98%  should working
- Taginfo sources ( Wiki, projects, ... )   same as a "big" taginfo https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/sources

>How do you intend to support translations and localisation/adaptation (e.g. Bidi layout, recommended minimum font size, and required minimum line-height per script)
>on these per-country Taginfo instances, in countries that have multiple languages (e.g. Switzerland, Belgium, Morocco or India) ?

Now this is just a Proof of concept.
If you have suggestions please create an issue:  https://github.com/taginfo/dockerized-taginfo

Imre

[...]

The mapping by "continent" is in fact not needed at all (and controversial). Mapping by country only is sufficient, notably if you use standard ISO 3166-1 codes.

If you want to have some internal mapping by continent for Taginfo, you can still apply such private mapping in the Taginfo website (but other Taginfo sites may have different views about how to group "countries" that are viewed by others as dependancies).

Such controversy has already occured on the OSM wiki, and in the OSM database, so much that mapping continent boundaries in OSM has been compeltely removed, allowing instead each country to have possibly overlapping boundaries for what they claim individually, and then in OSM we added pseudo-countries (at level 2) for areas claimed by several countries.

If you intend to have per-country Taginfo instance, be open to this: avoid defining what is a "continent". Even the UN has problems in defining them for its statistics agencies, and sveral agencies used different groupings. I don't think this is needed, and in fact it will just make domain names for Taginfo instances unnecessarily long. Just keep the ISO 3166-1 country code, nothing else. We can stiol have other external web pages to present these instances with relevant grouping for their own needs, it's not complicate at all to do on just one table or 5/6 webpages for their groupings and navigational links.

If you want to have per continent statistics, they will have their own mappiung and own data tags chosen more internationally and less locally, but I bet that the international Taginfo instance is sufficient for that (we may want a Taginfo instance for the European Union for its applied common policies and required open data that member states must provide, but even there, there will be extra non-EU data because of of cooperation, e.g. with EFTA, or data for extra-european dependancies, or cooperation with candidate members; and UK will probably keep large cooperations in many domains related to Open Data). So even a "EU" instance would cover a bit more than just Europe or the European Union...

The same remark will apply to the Asia-Pacific region (should it include US or Canada, or even Chile ?). What each instance will need to over will not be necessaily exclusive, and each Tagingo instance will have its own coverage independant of per-country Taginfo instance.