the dangers of assumptions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

the dangers of assumptions

Simon Hewison
I've just fired up the applet to start naming some street segments in my
locality, and found that someone has started drawing roads straight
through the local golf course, across a stream, through hedgerows and
trees. (following a GPS track recorded by someone on an overflying
aircraft).

Mind you, the wiki-style of openstreetmap means that it's easy enough to
correct.

--
Simon Hewison

_______________________________________________
Openstreetmap mailing list
[hidden email]
http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: the dangers of assumptions

Sean Burlington
Simon Hewison wrote:
> I've just fired up the applet to start naming some street segments in my
> locality, and found that someone has started drawing roads straight
> through the local golf course, across a stream, through hedgerows and
> trees. (following a GPS track recorded by someone on an overflying
> aircraft).
>
> Mind you, the wiki-style of openstreetmap means that it's easy enough to
> correct.
>


I've found quite a few random paths too - some with a GPS basis - some not

some of the tracks don't make sense at first because they look like
roads - and the dense GPS trail reinforces this view (incorrectly)

- once I get out of the A-Z mindset and start thinking pedestrians first
I realise that the highways of Hackney are often the backstreet
shortcuts that don't show up at all on street maps ...

One path appeared to be made up - but then I realised someone had picked
out "The Greenway" from the satellite image (it's barely marked on the
maps but is a useful foot/cycle path - over London's main sewage pipeline!)

But quite a few routes are most definitely wrong - e.g. crossing a canal
where there is no bridge.

I've started putting in Road names around me - I'm sure this will also
throw up a few disagreements - but it is already making the map easier
to use.


--

Sean


_______________________________________________
Openstreetmap mailing list
[hidden email]
http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: the dangers of assumptions

Steve Coast
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away when I started writing code
for OSM I imagined people would select and delete GPS traces as they
mapped - even other peoples traces - to avoid some of these problems.
Then they could be brought back from the dead to check things.

Then I figured having the points drop out after a month magically or
something would be good (but you could still bring them back to check)
but that got a bit of a negative reaction.

But now it seems this is starting to become a real problem so maybe it's
time ot think about it again?

* @ 09/11/05 05:53:26 PM [hidden email] wrote:

> Simon Hewison wrote:
> > I've just fired up the applet to start naming some street segments in my
> > locality, and found that someone has started drawing roads straight
> > through the local golf course, across a stream, through hedgerows and
> > trees. (following a GPS track recorded by someone on an overflying
> > aircraft).
> >
> > Mind you, the wiki-style of openstreetmap means that it's easy enough to
> > correct.
> >
>
>
> I've found quite a few random paths too - some with a GPS basis - some not
>
> some of the tracks don't make sense at first because they look like
> roads - and the dense GPS trail reinforces this view (incorrectly)
>
> - once I get out of the A-Z mindset and start thinking pedestrians first
> I realise that the highways of Hackney are often the backstreet
> shortcuts that don't show up at all on street maps ...
>
> One path appeared to be made up - but then I realised someone had picked
> out "The Greenway" from the satellite image (it's barely marked on the
> maps but is a useful foot/cycle path - over London's main sewage pipeline!)
>
> But quite a few routes are most definitely wrong - e.g. crossing a canal
> where there is no bridge.
>
> I've started putting in Road names around me - I'm sure this will also
> throw up a few disagreements - but it is already making the map easier
> to use.
>
>
> --
>
> Sean
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Openstreetmap mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/

_______________________________________________
Openstreetmap mailing list
[hidden email]
http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: the dangers of assumptions

ANDY ROBINSON-2
I'll throw my 2p in on this:

If you are looking at your own gps track you generally can recall what you
were travelling or mapping at the time. Therefore being able to see your own
track(s) differentiated from others (by a different colour presumably) would
go part of the way to resolving.

If you then have the ability to switch all tracks other than your own off
(or vice versa), then that would help even more.

Finally if you could select a timeframe for tracks (separately for both your
own and others) then you really would be able to play around with what
becomes visible.

Personally I think having access to all the track data is best since when
for instance adding a section of motorway that you only mapped in one
direction but someone mapped last year in the other makes it much easier to
place nodes and create lines and complete the task. If the older data is not
visible/available it might as well not be on the server.

This split between "owned" and "non-owned" gps data would also help when
mapping locations where the layout changes with time.

Andy Robinson


> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:openstreetmap-
> [hidden email]] On Behalf Of SteveC
> Sent: 10 November 2005 11:18
> To: Sean Burlington
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Openstreetmap] the dangers of assumptions
>
> A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away when I started writing code
> for OSM I imagined people would select and delete GPS traces as they
> mapped - even other peoples traces - to avoid some of these problems.
> Then they could be brought back from the dead to check things.
>
> Then I figured having the points drop out after a month magically or
> something would be good (but you could still bring them back to check)
> but that got a bit of a negative reaction.
>
> But now it seems this is starting to become a real problem so maybe it's
> time ot think about it again?
>
> * @ 09/11/05 05:53:26 PM [hidden email] wrote:
> > Simon Hewison wrote:
> > > I've just fired up the applet to start naming some street segments in
> my
> > > locality, and found that someone has started drawing roads straight
> > > through the local golf course, across a stream, through hedgerows and
> > > trees. (following a GPS track recorded by someone on an overflying
> > > aircraft).
> > >
> > > Mind you, the wiki-style of openstreetmap means that it's easy enough
> to
> > > correct.
> > >
> >
> >
> > I've found quite a few random paths too - some with a GPS basis - some
> not
> >
> > some of the tracks don't make sense at first because they look like
> > roads - and the dense GPS trail reinforces this view (incorrectly)
> >
> > - once I get out of the A-Z mindset and start thinking pedestrians first
> > I realise that the highways of Hackney are often the backstreet
> > shortcuts that don't show up at all on street maps ...
> >
> > One path appeared to be made up - but then I realised someone had picked
> > out "The Greenway" from the satellite image (it's barely marked on the
> > maps but is a useful foot/cycle path - over London's main sewage
> pipeline!)
> >
> > But quite a few routes are most definitely wrong - e.g. crossing a canal
> > where there is no bridge.
> >
> > I've started putting in Road names around me - I'm sure this will also
> > throw up a few disagreements - but it is already making the map easier
> > to use.
> >
> >
> > --
> >
> > Sean
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Openstreetmap mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap
>
> have fun,
>
> SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/
>
> _______________________________________________
> Openstreetmap mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap



_______________________________________________
Openstreetmap mailing list
[hidden email]
http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap