type file and resolutions

Mike Baggaley
Hi, does anyone know whether it is possible to use different type files for
different resolutions, or to restrict the resolution range of the type file.
The problem I am having is that in my map I only use resolutions 24,22,20,18
and 16. Below that I allow the base map to take over. However, in BaseCamp I
am getting the base map displayed using my type file (and the whole world
uses it, not just the area of my map). If I try the same thing with a
commercial map, I can see the base map take over seamlessly at low
resolutions. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: type file and resolutions

Gerd Petermann
Hi Mike,

I don't know a solution with TYP file but you may use a different type for low resolutions.
The default style contains
highway=motorway  [0x01 road_class=4 road_speed=7 resolution 15]

If you change that to
highway=motorway  [0x10101 resolution 15 -17 continue]
highway=motorway  [0x01 road_class=4 road_speed=7 resolution 17]
to use 0x10101 for the low resolutions (no idea if that is a good choice).

Gerd

Re: type file and resolutions

nwillink
Hi Mike

A TYP file operates independent of any resolution - the current file structure does not allow for icons to be visible at specific levels although I must admit that sounds a good idea and it wouldn't add much to the length of the TYP file itself.

Nick

Re: type file and resolutions

Mike Baggaley
Hi Gerd, I'm already doing that - I use the standard line types such as 0x01
for roads at higher resolutions with wide lines and use non-routable line
types with narrow lines at resolutions 16-18. Below resolution 16, I don't
include anything in the map, allowing the base map to take over. However,
the base map presumably uses the standard routable line types and is picking
up my type information, so is displaying fat lines at a small scale, which
doesn't look good. Is it possible to produce different maps for the low and
high resolutions using different type files, but still merge them into a
single gmapsupp?

Cheers,
Mike

Re: type file and resolutions

Gerd Petermann
Hi Mike,

I have no experience with combination of different maps.
Maybe this old post helps here:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/pipermail/mkgmap-dev/2013q1/017305.html
No idea if that works now.

Gerd