uDIG integration

Xavier Tremblay
Hello,

We are currently working on a simulation framework for ecologists. We would like
to know if we can use uDIG GIS as a component. We don't want to see the
graphical interface we just want to use the GIS's API. For example, we want to
load a map place animals on it and make them move over the time. This means we
would make a lots of queries to the GIS  to move a point, add points, and
remove points on a map.

We tried this with GRASS GIS, however it was really slow due to the GRASS
architecture. Each time we did such operation the whole map was saved on the
hard disk and we need to move like hundred of animals. Plus the community was
dead.

We would like to know if this is possible and how hard that integration would
be, if uDIG is a solution or not for that type of problem.

Best regards,
Tremblay

Re: uDIG integration

Jesse Eichar
Hi,

It is possible that uDig is what you want but Geotools (the library uDig is built on) may be better.  uDig is to a large degree a User interface on top of Geotools.  Geotools has all the APIs to manipulate the data and some libraries for rendering it.  Does that fit your requirements better?

Jesse

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Xavier Tremblay <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Riccardo Rigon

 you can think to reverse your perspective and make your platform as part or an extension of
JGrass (it is based on udig!) that uses OpenMi for dealing with modeling components. For more information give a look

riccardo

On Aug 7, 2009, at 4:06 PM, Xavier Tremblay wrote:

[...]

Universita` di Trento         Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile  e  Ambientale/CUDAM
Via Mesiano, 77, 38050  Trento      (ITALIA)
E-mail[hidden email]
Ph: +390461882614-10    Fax:+390461882672
Publications according to ISI: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-5395-2008
JGrass (Open Source GIS): http://www.jgrass.org/
GEOtop (Open Source distributed hydrological model):  http://www.geotop.org/

Re: uDIG integration

Jody Garnett-2
Hi Tremblay;

Others have answered about what uDig is for. My take is that it is an
framework to enable you to make your own custom applications; the
example uDig application is just that - and example.

There is a tutorials that uses uDig's mapviewer on its own; and
animates seagulls moving over top of a map. This was originally done
as a demo to show how to slave the uDig rendering system to an
existing application; and how you can use a "map graphic" or a "glass
pane" to render your own domain objects over top of a map.

The link is here:
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/DEV/2+Training+Materials#2TrainingMaterials-Tracking

There is a very simple blog post showing the result here:
- http://udig-news.blogspot.com/2008/08/flock-on.html

Please understand that this example is part of the commercial training
materials (several organizations are set up to run a training course
for you). The source code for the example is however part of the
public svn and you can have a look at how it works on your own if you
like.

Jody

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Xavier