uDig-1.2-RC2 on OS X 10.6 missing GDAL Bindings? Yes...

uDig-1.2-RC2 on OS X 10.6 missing GDAL Bindings? Yes...

Jody Garnett-2
I think we are in the same spot yes.

The answer is we need someone to build the native libraries. If you
have a mac perhaps you could volunteer?
There are prepackaged GDAL / PROJECT archives; it the bindings we need
generated.

Have a look at an earlier release Jesse made that he modified the
plist settings to include two paths? I think it was 1.2-M6 but you
will need to ask on the email list. It used an earlier version of the
bindings which a volunteer compiled for us.

Since this time the imageio-ext project updated to a newer version of
gdal; and no volunteer has stepped forward.

Finally I am a bit stuck about your build not working? Your build
worked - the application is just telling you it cannot support those
file formats.
Nobody can support those file formats until we get a volunteer.

Frankly I am no longer waiting for this functionality for uDig 1.2.0;
mac users can do without or step up and do the work.

Jody

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Tawan Banchuen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jody,
> I am having a problem, which I believe you came across before as a fellow
> Mac user.  I tried the udig-devel list, but I have not gotten any responses.
> I cannot get my build to work correctly (see the stack trace below,
> especially in red).  From some Internet searching, I am missing a few native
> libraries in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH and DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH and need to allow
> access to my gdal_data folder.
> Where can I obtain these native libraries? Is there a tutorial on how to
> configure the gdal_data folder? I am not quite sure where to find this
> folder.
> Thank you very much for your help.
> Best wishes,
> Tawan
> I am hoping you can help.
>
> !SESSION 2010-05-12 17:15:02.246
> eclipse.buildId=unknown
> java.version=1.6.0_17
> java.vendor=Apple Inc.
> BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
> Framework arguments:  -product
> net.refractions.udig.tutorial.seagulls.product
> Command-line arguments:  -product
> net.refractions.udig.tutorial.seagulls.product -data
> /Users/local/EC/tban019/Documents/Research/eclipse/maxosx64/udig-1.2-RC2-Eclipse3.5.2/../runtime-net.refractions.udig.tutorial.seagulls.product
> -dev
> file:/Users/local/EC/tban019/Documents/Research/eclipse/maxosx64/udig-1.2-RC2-Eclipse3.5.2/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/net.refractions.udig.tutorial.seagulls.product/dev.properties
> -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -consolelog
> !ENTRY net.refractions.udig.ui 1 0 2010-05-12 17:15:08.500
> !MESSAGE Unable to parse version from about.mappings file. Defaulting to a
> blank string.
> 2010-05-12 17:15:09.321 java[2009:903] Process manager already initialized
> -- can't fully enable headless mode.
> May 12, 2010 5:16:23 PM it.geosolutions.imageio.gdalframework.GDALUtilities
> loadGDAL
> WARNING: Native library load failed.java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no
> gdaljni in java.library.path
> May 12, 2010 5:16:23 PM it.geosolutions.util.KakaduUtilities loadKakadu
> WARNING: Native library load failed.java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no
> kdu_jni in java.library.path
> !ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 2 1 2010-05-12 17:16:27.115
> !MESSAGE NLS unused message: more in:
> net.refractions.udig.render.gridcoverage.basic.internal.messages

Re: uDig-1.2-RC2 on OS X 10.6 missing GDAL Bindings? Yes...

Jody Garnett-2
Hi Twan:

Now that uDig 1.2.0 development is settling down again perhaps we could go through the steps and figure out
what needs to be built for gdal support; would it help if I turn off the log message that is generated?

I have an outstanding request to GeoTools to ask what image format file extensions are available; if I can do that
in a quiet manner then the message will no longer trouble your log ... and the user will not be presented with
file extensions that don't work.

Jody

On 14/05/2010, at 12:26 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:

> [...]
>> !MESSAGE Unable to parse version from about.mappings file. Defaulting to a
>> blank string.
>> 2010-05-12 17:15:09.321 java[2009:903] Process manager already initialized
>> -- can't fully enable headless mode.
>> May 12, 2010 5:16:23 PM it.geosolutions.imageio.gdalframework.GDALUtilities
>> loadGDAL
>> WARNING: Native library load failed.java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no
>> gdaljni in java.library.path
>> May 12, 2010 5:16:23 PM it.geosolutions.util.KakaduUtilities loadKakadu
>> WARNING: Native library load failed.java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no
>> kdu_jni in java.library.path
>> !ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 2 1 2010-05-12 17:16:27.115
>> !MESSAGE NLS unused message: more in:
>> net.refractions.udig.render.gridcoverage.basic.internal.messages

Re: uDig-1.2-RC2 on OS X 10.6 missing GDAL Bindings? Yes...

It would be great to get a volunteer for building gdal; I am not sure what is involved by Andrea Antonello has had some success previously.

This library only has the effect on two or three advanced image formats; so your build is fine :-)
The formats are MRSID, ECW and JPEG2000 as I recall.

As for where to start with building GDAL bindings for OSX ... I am not sure (which is partly why it is not done).
Hopefull Andrea can provided guidance and take some notes in the wiki.

Checking out 1.2-M6 would not really help; since we simply bundled a build of the GDAL bindings that a volunteer made for us :-(

Jody

On 14/05/2010, at 2:55 PM, Tawan Banchuen wrote:

> Thanks Jody.
>
> Sure, I can volunteer to do this.  I will need your and other people's help though.  I am pretty new to the uDig codebase as you can tell.  I don't have a clue where things are.
>
> Sorry for my ignorance with the build and thank you for clarifying what is going on.
>
> Does this library also affect the WMS feature?
>
> Where should I start?  Checking out 1.2-M6?
>
> Regards,
> Tawan
>

> On 14/05/2010, at 2:26 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
>
>> I think we are in the same spot yes.
>>
>> The answer is we need someone to build the native libraries. If you
>> have a mac perhaps you could volunteer?
>> There are prepackaged GDAL / PROJECT archives; it the bindings we need
>> generated.
>>
>> Have a look at an earlier release Jesse made that he modified the
>> plist settings to include two paths? I think it was 1.2-M6 but you
>> will need to ask on the email list. It used an earlier version of the
>> bindings which a volunteer compiled for us.
>>
>> Since this time the imageio-ext project updated to a newer version of
>> gdal; and no volunteer has stepped forward.
>>
>> Finally I am a bit stuck about your build not working? Your build
>> worked - the application is just telling you it cannot support those
>> file formats.
>> Nobody can support those file formats until we get a volunteer.
>>
>> Frankly I am no longer waiting for this functionality for uDig 1.2.0;
>> mac users can do without or step up and do the work.
>>
>> Jody
>>
>> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Tawan Banchuen
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Jody,
>>> I am having a problem, which I believe you came across before as a fellow
>>> Mac user.  I tried the udig-devel list, but I have not gotten any responses.
>>> I cannot get my build to work correctly (see the stack trace below,
>>> especially in red).  From some Internet searching, I am missing a few native
>>> libraries in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH and DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH and need to allow
>>> access to my gdal_data folder.
>>> Where can I obtain these native libraries? Is there a tutorial on how to
>>> configure the gdal_data folder? I am not quite sure where to find this
>>> folder.
>>> Thank you very much for your help.
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Tawan
>>> I am hoping you can help.
>>>
>>> !SESSION 2010-05-12 17:15:02.246
>>> eclipse.buildId=unknown
>>> java.version=1.6.0_17
>>> java.vendor=Apple Inc.
>>> BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
>>> Framework arguments:  -product
>>> net.refractions.udig.tutorial.seagulls.product
>>> Command-line arguments:  -product
>>> net.refractions.udig.tutorial.seagulls.product -data
>>> /Users/local/EC/tban019/Documents/Research/eclipse/maxosx64/udig-1.2-RC2-Eclipse3.5.2/../runtime-net.refractions.udig.tutorial.seagulls.product
>>> -dev
>>> file:/Users/local/EC/tban019/Documents/Research/eclipse/maxosx64/udig-1.2-RC2-Eclipse3.5.2/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/net.refractions.udig.tutorial.seagulls.product/dev.properties
>>> -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -consolelog
>>> !ENTRY net.refractions.udig.ui 1 0 2010-05-12 17:15:08.500
>>> !MESSAGE Unable to parse version from about.mappings file. Defaulting to a
>>> blank string.
>>> 2010-05-12 17:15:09.321 java[2009:903] Process manager already initialized
>>> -- can't fully enable headless mode.
>>> May 12, 2010 5:16:23 PM it.geosolutions.imageio.gdalframework.GDALUtilities
>>> loadGDAL
>>> WARNING: Native library load failed.java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no
>>> gdaljni in java.library.path
>>> May 12, 2010 5:16:23 PM it.geosolutions.util.KakaduUtilities loadKakadu
>>> WARNING: Native library load failed.java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no
>>> kdu_jni in java.library.path
>>> !ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 2 1 2010-05-12 17:16:27.115
>>> !MESSAGE NLS unused message: more in:
>>> net.refractions.udig.render.gridcoverage.basic.internal.messages

Re: uDig-1.2-RC2 on OS X 10.6 missing GDAL Bindings? Yes...

tbanchuin
Hi Jody,

So basically, you will disable the gdal library on Mac.  I think that will be helpful, especially if unsupported format files will not show up in the file chooser.  I, for one, will be less frustrated.  We should note that in the release note though.  Some Mac users may expect these formats to be supported by uDig.

I am all for sorting out what we need to put in the built to support gdal for Mac.

Tawan

On 14/05/2010, at 7:29 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:

> Hi Twan:
>
> Now that uDig 1.2.0 development is settling down again perhaps we could go through the steps and figure out
> what needs to be built for gdal support; would it help if I turn off the log message that is generated?
>
> I have an outstanding request to GeoTools to ask what image format file extensions are available; if I can do that
> in a quiet manner then the message will no longer trouble your log ... and the user will not be presented with
> file extensions that don't work.
>
> Jody
>
> On 14/05/2010, at 12:26 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
>
>> I think we are in the same spot yes.
>>
>> The answer is we need someone to build the native libraries. If you
>> have a mac perhaps you could volunteer?
>> There are prepackaged GDAL / PROJECT archives; it the bindings we need
>> generated.
>>
>> Have a look at an earlier release Jesse made that he modified the
>> plist settings to include two paths? I think it was 1.2-M6 but you
>> will need to ask on the email list. It used an earlier version of the
>> bindings which a volunteer compiled for us.
>>
>> Since this time the imageio-ext project updated to a newer version of
>> gdal; and no volunteer has stepped forward.
>>
>> Finally I am a bit stuck about your build not working? Your build
>> worked - the application is just telling you it cannot support those
>> file formats.
>> Nobody can support those file formats until we get a volunteer.
>>
>> Frankly I am no longer waiting for this functionality for uDig 1.2.0;
>> mac users can do without or step up and do the work.
>>
>> Jody
>>
>> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Tawan Banchuen
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Jody,
>>> I am having a problem, which I believe you came across before as a fellow
>>> Mac user.  I tried the udig-devel list, but I have not gotten any responses.
>>> I cannot get my build to work correctly (see the stack trace below,
>>> especially in red).  From some Internet searching, I am missing a few native
>>> libraries in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH and DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH and need to allow
>>> access to my gdal_data folder.
>>> Where can I obtain these native libraries? Is there a tutorial on how to
>>> configure the gdal_data folder? I am not quite sure where to find this
>>> folder.
>>> Thank you very much for your help.
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Tawan
>>> I am hoping you can help.
>>>
>>> !SESSION 2010-05-12 17:15:02.246
>>> eclipse.buildId=unknown
>>> java.version=1.6.0_17
>>> java.vendor=Apple Inc.
>>> BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86_64, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
>>> Framework arguments:  -product
>>> net.refractions.udig.tutorial.seagulls.product
>>> Command-line arguments:  -product
>>> net.refractions.udig.tutorial.seagulls.product -data
>>> /Users/local/EC/tban019/Documents/Research/eclipse/maxosx64/udig-1.2-RC2-Eclipse3.5.2/../runtime-net.refractions.udig.tutorial.seagulls.product
>>> -dev
>>> file:/Users/local/EC/tban019/Documents/Research/eclipse/maxosx64/udig-1.2-RC2-Eclipse3.5.2/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/net.refractions.udig.tutorial.seagulls.product/dev.properties
>>> -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86_64 -consolelog
>>> !ENTRY net.refractions.udig.ui 1 0 2010-05-12 17:15:08.500
>>> !MESSAGE Unable to parse version from about.mappings file. Defaulting to a
>>> blank string.
>>> 2010-05-12 17:15:09.321 java[2009:903] Process manager already initialized
>>> -- can't fully enable headless mode.
>>> May 12, 2010 5:16:23 PM it.geosolutions.imageio.gdalframework.GDALUtilities
>>> loadGDAL
>>> WARNING: Native library load failed.java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no
>>> gdaljni in java.library.path
>>> May 12, 2010 5:16:23 PM it.geosolutions.util.KakaduUtilities loadKakadu
>>> WARNING: Native library load failed.java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no
>>> kdu_jni in java.library.path
>>> !ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 2 1 2010-05-12 17:16:27.115
>>> !MESSAGE NLS unused message: more in:
>>> net.refractions.udig.render.gridcoverage.basic.internal.messages

Re: uDig-1.2-RC2 on OS X 10.6 missing GDAL Bindings? Yes...

tbanchuin
Hi Andrea and Jody,

I started to do some research on the gdal library.  I found this one gdal build that is packaged for Mac:

http://www.kyngchaos.com/software:frameworks

Note the "GDAL Complete" package.  Is this something we are looking for?  Am I looking at the right library?

I am not experienced in C++.  I did get an A in C++, but that was 7 years ago.  My colleague though is finishing his dissertation on info viz entirely in C++.  He has agreed to help, so we can hope to get this library back in uDig again.

Andrea: In a nutshell, (1) we need to build the core gdal library and the required features on Mac and (2) edit the plist file to point to the build.  Correct?

Cheers,
Tawan

On 14/05/2010, at 7:47 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:

> It would be great to get a volunteer for building gdal; I am not sure what is involved by Andrea Antonello has had some success previously.
>
> This library only has the effect on two or three advanced image formats; so your build is fine :-)
> The formats are MRSID, ECW and JPEG2000 as I recall.
>
> As for where to start with building GDAL bindings for OSX ... I am not sure (which is partly why it is not done).
> Hopefull Andrea can provided guidance and take some notes in the wiki.
>
> Checking out 1.2-M6 would not really help; since we simply bundled a build of the GDAL bindings that a volunteer made for us :-(
>
> Jody
>
> On 14/05/2010, at 2:55 PM, Tawan Banchuen wrote:
>
>> Thanks Jody.
>>
>> Sure, I can volunteer to do this.  I will need your and other people's help though.  I am pretty new to the uDig codebase as you can tell.  I don't have a clue where things are.
>>
>> Sorry for my ignorance with the build and thank you for clarifying what is going on.
>>
>> Does this library also affect the WMS feature?
>>
>> Where should I start?  Checking out 1.2-M6?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tawan
>>

>> On 14/05/2010, at 2:26 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
>>
>>> I think we are in the same spot yes.
>>>
>>> The answer is we need someone to build the native libraries. If you
>>> have a mac perhaps you could volunteer?
>>> There are prepackaged GDAL / PROJECT archives; it the bindings we need
>>> generated.
>>>
>>> Have a look at an earlier release Jesse made that he modified the
>>> plist settings to include two paths? I think it was 1.2-M6 but you
>>> will need to ask on the email list. It used an earlier version of the
>>> bindings which a volunteer compiled for us.
>>>
>>> Since this time the imageio-ext project updated to a newer version of
>>> gdal; and no volunteer has stepped forward.
>>>
>>> Finally I am a bit stuck about your build not working? Your build
>>> worked - the application is just telling you it cannot support those
>>> file formats.
>>> Nobody can support those file formats until we get a volunteer.
>>>
>>> Frankly I am no longer waiting for this functionality for uDig 1.2.0;
>>> mac users can do without or step up and do the work.
>>>
>>> Jody

Re: uDig-1.2-RC2 on OS X 10.6 missing GDAL Bindings? Yes...

Andrea Antonello
Hi Tawan,
there is small missunderstanding. Let me explain.

uDig accesses gdal formats through the imageio-ext[0] library.
Imageio-ext has native bindings to gdal. The hads thing here is
twofold:
1) it relies on an older version of gdal that has issues to be built on mac
2) the gdal library needs to be patched and therefore compiled ad hoc
for the imageio-ext build.

That said there is a building procedure for mac, which is well written
in the documentation folder [1].

The next versions of imageio-ext will use a newer gdal, possibly with
no need to be patched and also it will be easy to build it on mac.

For now the path to go is to follow the build process in the docs and
build proj, gdal, ecw, mrsid, and whatever dependency it takes. (a
warning about the fact that ecw dosn't compile (or run? don't remember
exactly) on mac).

Good luck,
Andrea

[0] https://imageio-ext.dev.java.net/
[1] https://imageio-ext.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=10434&expandFolder=10434&folderID=10435

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 3:23 AM, Tawan Banchuen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andrea and Jody,
>
> I started to do some research on the gdal library.  I found this one gdal build that is packaged for Mac:
>
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/software:frameworks
>
> Note the "GDAL Complete" package.  Is this something we are looking for?  Am I looking at the right library?
>
> I am not experienced in C++.  I did get an A in C++, but that was 7 years ago.  My colleague though is finishing his dissertation on info viz entirely in C++.  He has agreed to help, so we can hope to get this library back in uDig again.
>
> Andrea: In a nutshell, (1) we need to build the core gdal library and the required features on Mac and (2) edit the plist file to point to the build.  Correct?
>
> Cheers,
> Tawan
>

> On 14/05/2010, at 7:47 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
>
>> It would be great to get a volunteer for building gdal; I am not sure what is involved by Andrea Antonello has had some success previously.
>>
>> This library only has the effect on two or three advanced image formats; so your build is fine :-)
>> The formats are MRSID, ECW and JPEG2000 as I recall.
>>
>> As for where to start with building GDAL bindings for OSX ... I am not sure (which is partly why it is not done).
>> Hopefull Andrea can provided guidance and take some notes in the wiki.
>>
>> Checking out 1.2-M6 would not really help; since we simply bundled a build of the GDAL bindings that a volunteer made for us :-(
>>
>> Jody
>>
>> On 14/05/2010, at 2:55 PM, Tawan Banchuen wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Jody.
>>>
>>> Sure, I can volunteer to do this.  I will need your and other people's help though.  I am pretty new to the uDig codebase as you can tell.  I don't have a clue where things are.
>>>
>>> Sorry for my ignorance with the build and thank you for clarifying what is going on.
>>>
>>> Does this library also affect the WMS feature?
>>>
>>> Where should I start?  Checking out 1.2-M6?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Tawan

Re: uDig-1.2-RC2 on OS X 10.6 missing GDAL Bindings? Yes...

tbanchuin
Thanks Andrea for this thorough direction.  I got the instruction.

Wierd though that GeoSolution provided an instruction on how to set up ImageIOExt on Mac, but would not provide a Mac binary download:

https://imageio-ext.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=10435&expandFolder=10435&folderID=0

I am working on building this library.  Do you need just the native Mac GDAL library or imageio-ext.jar as well?

Tawan

On 18/05/2010, at 2:47 PM, Tawan Banchuen wrote:

> Thanks Andrea for this thorough direction.  I got the instruction.
>
> Wierd though that GeoSolution provided an instruction on how to set up ImageIOExt on Mac, but would not provide a Mac binary download:

They are actually on this list as well; I think it is more about needing volunteers and assistance to get everything done. No sense doing QA on a mac download if they are not personally using it.

> https://imageio-ext.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=10435&expandFolder=10435&folderID=0
>
> I am working on building this library.  Do you need just the native Mac GDAL library or imageio-ext.jar as well?

I think we have the jars, and are keeping the latest jars in uDig. The jars change more often then the GDAL bindings... Simone will know more.

Jody

> Tawan
>
> On 17/05/2010, at 6:02 PM, andrea antonello wrote:
>
>> Hi Tawan,
>> there is small missunderstanding. Let me explain.
>>
>> uDig accesses gdal formats through the imageio-ext[0] library.
>> Imageio-ext has native bindings to gdal. The hads thing here is
>> twofold:
>> 1) it relies on an older version of gdal that has issues to be built on mac
>> 2) the gdal library needs to be patched and therefore compiled ad hoc
>> for the imageio-ext build.
>>
>> That said there is a building procedure for mac, which is well written
>> in the documentation folder [1].
>>
>> The next versions of imageio-ext will use a newer gdal, possibly with
>> no need to be patched and also it will be easy to build it on mac.
>>
>> For now the path to go is to follow the build process in the docs and
>> build proj, gdal, ecw, mrsid, and whatever dependency it takes. (a
>> warning about the fact that ecw dosn't compile (or run? don't remember
>> exactly) on mac).
>>
>> Good luck,
>> Andrea
>>
>> [0] https://imageio-ext.dev.java.net/
>> [1] https://imageio-ext.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=10434&expandFolder=10434&folderID=10435
>>

>> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 3:23 AM, Tawan Banchuen
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Andrea and Jody,
>>>
>>> I started to do some research on the gdal library.  I found this one gdal build that is packaged for Mac:
>>>
>>> http://www.kyngchaos.com/software:frameworks
>>>
>>> Note the "GDAL Complete" package.  Is this something we are looking for?  Am I looking at the right library?
>>>
>>> I am not experienced in C++.  I did get an A in C++, but that was 7 years ago.  My colleague though is finishing his dissertation on info viz entirely in C++.  He has agreed to help, so we can hope to get this library back in uDig again.
>>>
>>> Andrea: In a nutshell, (1) we need to build the core gdal library and the required features on Mac and (2) edit the plist file to point to the build.  Correct?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Tawan

Re: uDig-1.2-RC2 on OS X 10.6 missing GDAL Bindings? Yes...

tbanchuin
That makes sense Jody.

I will go through the imageio-ext  building process, and talk to Simone about what he needs for the Mac uDig build.

Cheers,
Tawan

On 18/05/2010, at 5:31 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:

> On 18/05/2010, at 2:47 PM, Tawan Banchuen wrote:
>
>> Thanks Andrea for this thorough direction.  I got the instruction.
>>
>> Wierd though that GeoSolution provided an instruction on how to set up ImageIOExt on Mac, but would not provide a Mac binary download:
>
> They are actually on this list as well; I think it is more about needing volunteers and assistance to get everything done. No sense doing QA on a mac download if they are not personally using it.
>
>> https://imageio-ext.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=10435&expandFolder=10435&folderID=0
>>
>> I am working on building this library.  Do you need just the native Mac GDAL library or imageio-ext.jar as well?
>
> I think we have the jars, and are keeping the latest jars in uDig. The jars change more often then the GDAL bindings... Simone will know more.
>
> Jody
>

>> Tawan
>>
>> On 17/05/2010, at 6:02 PM, andrea antonello wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Tawan,
>>> there is small missunderstanding. Let me explain.
>>>
>>> uDig accesses gdal formats through the imageio-ext[0] library.
>>> Imageio-ext has native bindings to gdal. The hads thing here is
>>> twofold:
>>> 1) it relies on an older version of gdal that has issues to be built on mac
>>> 2) the gdal library needs to be patched and therefore compiled ad hoc
>>> for the imageio-ext build.
>>>
>>> That said there is a building procedure for mac, which is well written
>>> in the documentation folder [1].
>>>
>>> The next versions of imageio-ext will use a newer gdal, possibly with
>>> no need to be patched and also it will be easy to build it on mac.
>>>
>>> For now the path to go is to follow the build process in the docs and
>>> build proj, gdal, ecw, mrsid, and whatever dependency it takes. (a
>>> warning about the fact that ecw dosn't compile (or run? don't remember
>>> exactly) on mac).
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>> Andrea
>>>
>>> [0] https://imageio-ext.dev.java.net/
>>> [1] https://imageio-ext.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=10434&expandFolder=10434&folderID=10435

Re: uDig-1.2-RC2 on OS X 10.6 missing GDAL Bindings? Yes...

Simone Giannecchini
Ciao Tawan,
quick observation, we are actually not very interested in getting
imageio-ext native libs built on linux since we do not have clients
requesting it.
That said, as far as I remember, andrea antonello and daniele worked
on the instructions for mac a while ago with mixed results, that is
all we have for Mac unfortunately.

Feel free to ping us in case you need anything.

Simone.
Ing. Simone Giannecchini
GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Founder - Software Engineer
Via Carignoni 51
55041  Camaiore (LU)
Italy

phone: +39 0584983027
fax:      +39 0584983027
mob:    +39 333 8128928

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/simonegiannecchini
http://twitter.com/simogeo

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Tawan Banchuen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> That makes sense Jody.
>
> I will go through the imageio-ext  building process, and talk to Simone about what he needs for the Mac uDig build.
>
> Cheers,
> Tawan
>

> On 18/05/2010, at 5:31 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:
>
>> On 18/05/2010, at 2:47 PM, Tawan Banchuen wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Andrea for this thorough direction.  I got the instruction.
>>>
>>> Wierd though that GeoSolution provided an instruction on how to set up ImageIOExt on Mac, but would not provide a Mac binary download:
>>
>> They are actually on this list as well; I think it is more about needing volunteers and assistance to get everything done. No sense doing QA on a mac download if they are not personally using it.
>>
>>> https://imageio-ext.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=10435&expandFolder=10435&folderID=0
>>>
>>> I am working on building this library.  Do you need just the native Mac GDAL library or imageio-ext.jar as well?
>>
>> I think we have the jars, and are keeping the latest jars in uDig. The jars change more often then the GDAL bindings... Simone will know more.
>>
>> Jody
>>

>>> Tawan

Re: uDig-1.2-RC2 on OS X 10.6 missing GDAL Bindings? Yes...

tbanchuin
Thanks for the notes Simone.  I just began working on building the imageio-ext library on Mac.  I am installing MacPorts and such.

One thing you probably know the answer to is whether you will need imageio-ext.jar that I will build, or you just need the gdal library and its dependencies.  If so, should I name the file imageio-ext-mac.jar, and do I need to modify the manifest file in anyway so that the OSGI loader will use it instead of the one for Windows.  Just out of curiosity really.  I figure if I just send you everything, you will be able to pick and choose and configure the way you need to.

Cheers,
Tawan

On 19/05/2010, at 9:08 PM, Simone Giannecchini wrote:

> Ciao Tawan,
> quick observation, we are actually not very interested in getting
> imageio-ext native libs built on linux since we do not have clients
> requesting it.
> That said, as far as I remember, andrea antonello and daniele worked
> on the instructions for mac a while ago with mixed results, that is
> all we have for Mac unfortunately.
>
> Feel free to ping us in case you need anything.
>
> Simone.
> Ing. Simone Giannecchini
> GeoSolutions S.A.S.
> Founder - Software Engineer
> Via Carignoni 51
> 55041  Camaiore (LU)
> Italy
>
> phone: +39 0584983027
> fax:      +39 0584983027
> mob:    +39 333 8128928
>

> http://www.geo-solutions.it
> http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/simonegiannecchini
> http://twitter.com/simogeo

> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Tawan Banchuen
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That makes sense Jody.
>>
>> I will go through the imageio-ext  building process, and talk to Simone about what he needs for the Mac uDig build.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Tawan

>>> They are actually on this list as well; I think it is more about needing volunteers and assistance to get everything done. No sense doing QA on a mac download if they are not personally using it.

>>> I think we have the jars, and are keeping the latest jars in uDig. The jars change more often then the GDAL bindings... Simone will know more.
>>>
>>> Jody

Re: uDig-1.2-RC2 on OS X 10.6 missing GDAL Bindings? Yes...

Simone Giannecchini
I don't think we need different jars, but just in case let me put
daniele and andrea in the loop.

Simone.
Ing. Simone Giannecchini
GeoSolutions S.A.S.