udig 1.2 and oracle connection an layers

udig 1.2 and oracle connection an layers

Franz Wallmer
Hi all!
I'm a new user and i have some question about udig...
Is oracle fully supported? Viewing, editing and so on...
i'm trying to connect an oracle 10g server with the most recent 1.2.0 udig
i can read the resources but i can view in my map only the oracle spatial objects (ver. oracle 8), not the relational-oracle layers!
there is some guide or howto oracle connection?
when i'm tryin' to edit my oracle (object) geometries i can select the modal tool edit but when i select the feature the cursor start to blinking with a little red circle... and nothing else what it mean? Not supported?
other times, when i select the editing modal tool, udig say me that the editing is not possible on a such layer... but why? i can edit the same layer with several other software and i don't understand what udig need... maybe need some primary key, or gid, or someting else... or is not supported, but where i can find more detailed error messages? there is som e detailed log file?

thank you very much for any suggestion

----
Caselle da 1GB, trasmetti allegati fino a 3GB e in piu' IMAP, POP3 e SMTP autenticato? GRATIS solo con Email.it

Sponsor:
4 stelle a Riccione Terme ... concediti una vacanza relax. Completamente rinnovato nel 2010. Offerte speciali
Clicca qui

Re: udig 1.2 and oracle connection an layers

Jody Garnett-2
We did have a developer test prior to release; but none of the core team is in position to test on a regular basis.
If you are having trouble connecting you can also try the generic geotools datastore entry; and choose oracle from the list.

We make use of the same geotools library for oracle, postgis, wfs and so forth so editing is supported.

Jody

On 24/08/2010, at 8:46 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

Some more thoughts inline ...

On 24/08/2010, at 8:46 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi all!
> I'm a new user and i have some question about udig...
> Is oracle fully supported? Viewing, editing and so on...
> i'm trying to connect an oracle 10g server with the most recent 1.2.0 udig
> i can read the resources but i can view in my map only the oracle spatial objects (ver. oracle 8), not the relational-oracle layers!

What do you mean by the relational layers?

If they are a table that you would like to join with a spatial table in order to visualise (for example traffic lights are often a table with an relation to spatial intersection table) there are two options:
- (today) create a view - and show the view in your map
- (pending) make use of the app-schema module to define a feature type combing several tables (and mapping the relationships)

> there is some guide or howto oracle connection?

> when i'm tryin' to edit my oracle (object) geometries i can select the modal tool edit but when i select the feature the cursor start to blinking with a little red circle... and nothing else what it mean? Not supported?

It usually means that the query is taking place; it blinks as long as the query is taking ...

> other times, when i select the editing modal tool, udig say me that the editing is not possible on a such layer... but why?

It does respect permissions; so read-only tables or view are not considered editable.

> i can edit the same layer with several other software and i don't understand what udig need... maybe need some primary key, or gid, or someting else... or is not supported, but where i can find more detailed error messages? there is som e detailed log file?

The error log is available in the help menu; instructions are here:
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/View+Error+Log+and+Configuration+Details

I don't know of any special requirements off the top of my head; the library we are using is here (http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/JDBC+Module).

> thank you very much for any suggestion

If you are available when we make the next release (after to foss4g conference) we would love a hand testing oracle connection support.

Re: udig 1.2 and oracle connection an layers

Franz Wallmer

Thanks fof your fast reply!!

> What do you mean by the relational layers?

I'm sorry for misunderstanding!
Prior oracle ver.8.1 oracle stored the spatial data and index in the same table with the column GEOM (like potgres/postgis).
now oracle use the relational model (i'm sure you can teach me, i'll write only for better explain) with the tables name, name_SDODIM, name_SDOGEOM, name_SDOINDEX, name_SDOLAYER
In a database i stored a "object" (one table) layer and a "relational" (5 tables indexed) layer both imported using fme translator (safe software).
With udig i can view (but not edit) the oracle object layer and the relational tables are all displayed as simple alphanumeric data tables, not as something spatial! So i don't know what's wrong, because i 'm quite sure thet udig support oracle spatial "relational model".

> It usually means that the query is taking place; it blinks as long as the query is taking ...

why the query is taking place?
i mean, when i select a feature with the mouse on a active layer i'm working in a udig level, it's correct?
If i import a layer from a db i make a query, when the db returns the data udig display the features, but it stores the data, i suppose, into a temporary udig data structure, right? (if not please answer, because this is important for me to understand the udig behavior).
So, when i click with the mouse on a feature in order to select and edit the shape udig perform a query? I think it's only a intersection function between the point's coordinates and the layer stored in udig temporary structure...
if udig perform a query the problem can be the database server connection or other like primary key... and i have to seek in this direction,
otherwise may be a software bug... i don't know!

> It does respect permissions; so read-only tables or view are not considered editable.
in order to access udig into a db i use the "owner" account so i haven't read only tables... it's a mistery for me!

> If you are available when we make the next release (after to foss4g conference) we would love a hand testing oracle connection support.
you're welcome... i don't know if i'm able... i'm a newbie.

really thanks for your explainations

----
Caselle da 1GB, trasmetti allegati fino a 3GB e in piu' IMAP, POP3 e SMTP autenticato? GRATIS solo con Email.it

Sponsor:
Le migliori proposte Last Minute al Mare nelle localita' piu' famose della Riviera Adriatica e della Sardegna┬ů prenota subito, ultime disponibilita'!!
Clicca qui

Re: udig 1.2 and oracle connection an layers

Jody Garnett-2
Comments inline...

>> What do you mean by the relational layers?
>
> I'm sorry for misunderstanding!
> Prior oracle ver.8.1 oracle stored the spatial data and index in the same
> table with the column GEOM (like potgres/postgis).

Oh I remember now; this was before they made the SDO_GEOMETRY STRUCT.
I don't think anyone ever implemented that for GeoTools (so no I don't
think that is supported).

>> It usually means that the query is taking place; it blinks as long as the
>> query is taking ...
>
> why the query is taking place?
> i mean, when i select a feature with the mouse on a active layer i'm working
> in a udig level, it's correct?

No. uDig does not load data into memory; when you click it is making a
request to the database to see what geometry you clicked on.
- when selecting - uDig just records what you have selected; but does
not load it in memory (only draws it "selected"
- when editing - it makes a request to the database and actually loads
the feature into memory; from there on you can edit the points; and
write it back to the database with the commit button

> If i import a layer from a db i make a query, when the db returns the data
> udig display the features, but it stores the data, i suppose, into a
> temporary udig data structure, right? (if not please answer, because this is
> important for me to understand the udig behavior).

Hopefully I answered that above ... uDig does not load data into
memory. We are experimenting with allowing uDig to "cache" data into
memory for uDig 1.2 - but it is an experiment and not on by default.

> So, when i click with the mouse on a feature in order to select and edit the
> shape udig perform a query? I think it's only a intersection function
> between the point's coordinates and the layer stored in udig temporary
> structure...

It is performing a query - usually a bbox query against the database.

> if udig perform a query the problem can be the database server connection or
> other like primary key... and i have to seek in this direction,
> otherwise may be a software bug... i don't know!

I wish I had an oracle handy to test and see what you are seeing.

>> If you are available when we make the next release (after to foss4g
>> conference) we would love a hand testing oracle connection support.
> you're welcome... i don't know if i'm able... i'm a newbie.
>
> really thanks for your explainations

Cheers!
Jody