udig 1.2 location view

Frazer Jones
Hi all,
How do you access the location view in udig 1.2? I use this all the time in 1.1.1.
Regards
Frazer

Re: udig 1.2 location view

Andrea Antonello
I am afraid to ask.... but... what is the location view?

Ciao
Andrea

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Frazer Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> How do you access the location view in udig 1.2? I use this all the time in
> 1.1.1.
> Regards
> Frazer

Re: udig 1.2 location view

Jody Garnett-2
I am not sure if it made it to 1.2.0; you would find it in the WIndows > Show View > Other ...

The location view allows you to seach locations; it is hooked up to a gazetter in the us and canada and allows more gazetteers to be hooked up.

Jody

On 09/08/2010, at 5:32 PM, andrea antonello wrote:

> I am afraid to ask.... but... what is the location view?
>
> Ciao
> Andrea
>

> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Frazer Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> How do you access the location view in udig 1.2? I use this all the time in
>> 1.1.1.
>> Regards
>> Frazer

Re: udig 1.2 location view

Frazer Jones
The location view allow you to enter an address (street address and zip, or street address,city,state) and display that area on the map. It is fast and saves me lots of time. I can't do without it.
Frazer

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 2:32 AM, andrea antonello <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am afraid to ask.... but... what is the location view?

Ciao
Andrea

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Frazer Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> How do you access the location view in udig 1.2? I use this all the time in
> 1.1.1.
> Regards
> Frazer

Re: udig 1.2 location view

Jody Garnett-2
Here is the online help:
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Location+View

I do not see the Location view in the 1.2.x series, I am sure it can
be restored however. It is very hard for us to tell what features are
used/important when setting priorities. Thanks for highlighting this
as an important feature.

Incidentally Andrea I was thinking of merging the Location view with
the search view; so there would be one screen to go to in order to
search for things.

Jody

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:08 AM, Frazer Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The location view allow you to enter an address (street address and zip, or
> street address,city,state) and display that area on the map. It is fast and
> saves me lots of time. I can't do without it.
> Frazer
>
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 2:32 AM, andrea antonello
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am afraid to ask.... but... what is the location view?
>>
>> Ciao
>> Andrea
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Frazer Jones <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> > How do you access the location view in udig 1.2? I use this all the time
>> > in
>> > 1.1.1.
>> > Regards
>> > Frazer

Re: udig 1.2 location view

Andrea Antonello
> Here is the online help:
> - http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Location+View

I am amazed that I never saw it. I even created a new one in the
navigation view I did for the gsoc last year :)
That one based on geonames and had the good thing that it could be
used also offline in the field.

> I do not see the Location view in the 1.2.x series, I am sure it can
> be restored however. It is very hard for us to tell what features are
> used/important when setting priorities. Thanks for highlighting this
> as an important feature.

Yes, same here, if the code comes up from somewhere I will be porting
it to the 1.2. It might come in in a 1.2.1 with the new style editors?
:)

> Incidentally Andrea I was thinking of merging the Location view with
> the search view; so there would be one screen to go to in order to
> search for things.

That seems a great idea to me. That could be one of our first "weekly efforts"?

Andrea

> Jody
>
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:08 AM, Frazer Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The location view allow you to enter an address (street address and zip, or
>> street address,city,state) and display that area on the map. It is fast and
>> saves me lots of time. I can't do without it.
>> Frazer
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 2:32 AM, andrea antonello
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am afraid to ask.... but... what is the location view?
>>>
>>> Ciao
>>> Andrea

Re: udig 1.2 location view

Frazer Jones
On merging Location View and Search View I am a little confused and I am probably missing something. I use location view to go to that area of the map to see what I have there. I am not interested in modifying the map in anyway. I am still trying to figure out search view it seem to find layers, with that search term in the name, which I can then add to the map. The functionality of the search view  and the locate view seem to be very different to me.
Frazer

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here is the online help:
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Location+View

I do not see the Location view in the 1.2.x series, I am sure it can
be restored however. It is very hard for us to tell what features are
used/important when setting priorities. Thanks for highlighting this
as an important feature.

Incidentally Andrea I was thinking of merging the Location view with
the search view; so there would be one screen to go to in order to
search for things.

Jody

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:08 AM, Frazer Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The location view allow you to enter an address (street address and zip, or
> street address,city,state) and display that area on the map. It is fast and
> saves me lots of time. I can't do without it.
> Frazer
>
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 2:32 AM, andrea antonello
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am afraid to ask.... but... what is the location view?
>>
>> Ciao
>> Andrea
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Frazer Jones <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> > How do you access the location view in udig 1.2? I use this all the time
>> > in
>> > 1.1.1.
>> > Regards
>> > Frazer

Re: udig 1.2 location view

Jody Garnett-2
Frazer the location view is not available in uDig 1.2.x - we are
talking about how to bring it back.

We could just restore it :-)

We also could combine it with the existing search view - giving people
one place to search for stuff

Jody

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 2:41 AM, Frazer Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On merging Location View and Search View I am a little confused and I am
> probably missing something. I use location view to go to that area of the
> map to see what I have there. I am not interested in modifying the map in
> anyway. I am still trying to figure out search view it seem to find layers,
> with that search term in the name, which I can then add to the map. The
> functionality of the search view  and the locate view seem to be very
> different to me.
> Frazer
>
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Here is the online help:
>> - http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Location+View
>>
>> I do not see the Location view in the 1.2.x series, I am sure it can
>> be restored however. It is very hard for us to tell what features are
>> used/important when setting priorities. Thanks for highlighting this
>> as an important feature.
>>
>> Incidentally Andrea I was thinking of merging the Location view with
>> the search view; so there would be one screen to go to in order to
>> search for things.
>>
>> Jody
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:08 AM, Frazer Jones <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > The location view allow you to enter an address (street address and zip,
>> > or
>> > street address,city,state) and display that area on the map. It is fast
>> > and
>> > saves me lots of time. I can't do without it.
>> > Frazer

Re: udig 1.2 location view

Frazer Jones
Hi Jody,
I had been following the development of 1.2 on both the Windows and Linux platforms and I couldn't figure out how raise this issue. Finally when I did not see it in the final release I decided to join this list. Is there any other way I could have raised it?
Probably a web page where users could indicate what features they used/important may help.
The support for MrSid format and the autoreprojection of raster images are features in 1.2 that are fantastic.
Frazer

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here is the online help:
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Location+View

I do not see the Location view in the 1.2.x series, I am sure it can
be restored however. It is very hard for us to tell what features are
used/important when setting priorities. Thanks for highlighting this
as an important feature.

Incidentally Andrea I was thinking of merging the Location view with
the search view; so there would be one screen to go to in order to
search for things.

Jody

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:08 AM, Frazer Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The location view allow you to enter an address (street address and zip, or
> street address,city,state) and display that area on the map. It is fast and
> saves me lots of time. I can't do without it.
> Frazer
>
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 2:32 AM, andrea antonello
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am afraid to ask.... but... what is the location view?
>>
>> Ciao
>> Andrea
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Frazer Jones <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> > How do you access the location view in udig 1.2? I use this all the time
>> > in
>> > 1.1.1.
>> > Regards
>> > Frazer

Re: udig 1.2 location view

Jody Garnett-2
Incidentally we did find the location view; the service we were using changes its api - rather than debug we have shut the feature off for a bit.

The webpage has instructions for raising an issue on this page:

Although we have talked about it on the email list here nobody has raised the issue yet :-)
Jody

On 13/08/2010, at 4:16 AM, Frazer Jones wrote:

Hi Jody,
I had been following the development of 1.2 on both the Windows and Linux platforms and I couldn't figure out how raise this issue. Finally when I did not see it in the final release I decided to join this list. Is there any other way I could have raised it?
Probably a web page where users could indicate what features they used/important may help.
The support for MrSid format and the autoreprojection of raster images are features in 1.2 that are fantastic.
Frazer

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here is the online help:
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Location+View

I do not see the Location view in the 1.2.x series, I am sure it can
be restored however. It is very hard for us to tell what features are
used/important when setting priorities. Thanks for highlighting this
as an important feature.

Incidentally Andrea I was thinking of merging the Location view with
the search view; so there would be one screen to go to in order to
search for things.

Jody

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 2:08 AM, Frazer Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The location view allow you to enter an address (street address and zip, or
> street address,city,state) and display that area on the map. It is fast and
> saves me lots of time. I can't do without it.
> Frazer
>
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 2:32 AM, andrea antonello
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am afraid to ask.... but... what is the location view?
>>
>> Ciao
>> Andrea
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Frazer Jones <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> > How do you access the location view in udig 1.2? I use this all the time
>> > in
>> > 1.1.1.
>> > Regards
>> > Frazer

Re: udig 1.2 location view

Frazer Jones
Hi Jody,
Finally I raised the issue! It took me quite a while to figure it out. I went to that link several time before but couldn't figure out how to raise an issue because I thought this page was for developers not users.
I'll be looking out for when you turn it up.
Thanks,
Frazer