unused tags and properties

dieterdreist
A few people continue to add unused tags and properties to feature definitions, e.g. looking at the page for tourism=guesthouse, which is quite long in the meantime, you can find "proposed" values with names like
"fridge"
"stove"
"drying:room"
"dinner"
which all hardly reach a 2 digit number of usage.

For the "view" tag there isn't even a definition.

I believe treating the wiki like this will generally lead to a decline in quality of our documentation, because immature tags are pushed that haven't undergone any kind of peer review (aparently).

Am I the only one with these concerns?

Re: unused tags and properties

Jean-Marc Liotier
I agree. The wiki is a point of entry for inexperienced contributors and
should therefore document established practices rather than serve as a
way to make marginal ideas appear established.

That said, the subjectivity of what constitutes "established practices"
guarantees controversy...

> A few people continue to add unused tags and properties to feature
> definitions, e.g. looking at the page for tourism=guesthouse, which is
> quite long in the meantime, you can find "proposed" values with names like
> "fridge"
> "stove"
> "drying:room"
> "dinner"
> which all hardly reach a 2 digit number of usage.
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism%3Dguest_house
>
> For the "view" tag there isn't even a definition.
>
> I believe treating the wiki like this will generally lead to a decline
> in quality of our documentation, because immature tags are pushed that
> haven't undergone any kind of peer review (aparently).
>
> Am I the only one with these concerns?

Re: unused tags and properties

Mateusz Konieczny-3

27 Apr 2019, 01:54 by [hidden email]:
A few people continue to add unused tags and properties to feature definitions, e.g. looking at the page for tourism=guesthouse, which is quite long in the meantime, you can find "proposed" values with names like
"fridge"
"stove"
"drying:room"
"dinner"
which all hardly reach a 2 digit number of usage.

For the "view" tag there isn't even a definition.

I believe treating the wiki like this will generally lead to a decline in quality of our documentation, because immature tags are pushed that haven't undergone any kind of peer review (aparently).

Am I the only one with these concerns?
No, you are not the only one. In case of such barely used tags added in the form of
an unreadable table I think that immediate revert of such edit is the best solution.

Inventing new tags is OK, using new tags is OK, documenting new tags is OK and desirable.

But linking your tag that is barely used everywhere is an unwelcome spam.

In such situation I revert edit as soon as I spot it, especially for users who did it already
many times and have aggressive usernames that claim to not be experts rather than newbies.

example of previous spam wave (mass spamming of broken shop=street_vendor tag):

and in many other languages, also for other shop types

Re: unused tags and properties

Philip Barnes
On Wednesday, 1 May 2019, Warin wrote:
> Fridge, stove and sink would be handy for some camp sites ... I came
> across one camp site with a fridge .. standing all by itself in the open
> (with a power point connection). Most of these woiuld be 'inside' a camp
> kitchen .. (some camp kitchens have no walls just a roof.

The other common object you find on campsites is a microwave.

Phil (trigpoint)

--
Sent from my Sailfish device