update sites on by default

Andrea Antonello
Hi Jody,
I have tried hard to get the community site listed by default but
couldn't find a way, or better, eclipse seems to provide a nice way
(p2.inf file in the bundle), btu it seems that the update manager used
in udig doesn't like it that much.

Mauricio anyways committed the fix that makes it possible to install
from the community update site (if added manually).

So there should be green light to deploy udig.

A bit sad that we do not have the sites listed...
ciao
Andrea

Re: update sites on by default

Jody Garnett-2
Trying to go a bit more slowly; do you have a bug report or notes describing what you are doing?
- do we need to grab a new update manager for uDig? (answer: probably I would expect so....)
- the commit has been added to trunk? Or to the tag...
- what was the fix?

With respect to p2.inf I found the following online:
- http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2/Customizing_Metadata

As for deploying, it is tempting to just release 1.2.0 rather then another RC :-) An update site was one of the items we want for the 1.2.0 release.

Jody

On 19/05/2010, at 7:49 AM, andrea antonello wrote:

> Hi Jody,
> I have tried hard to get the community site listed by default but
> couldn't find a way, or better, eclipse seems to provide a nice way
> (p2.inf file in the bundle), btu it seems that the update manager used
> in udig doesn't like it that much.
>
> Mauricio anyways committed the fix that makes it possible to install
> from the community update site (if added manually).
>
> So there should be green light to deploy udig.
>
> A bit sad that we do not have the sites listed...
> ciao
> Andrea

Re: update sites on by default

Jody Garnett-2
I have been having some luck going through:
- http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2/Adding_Self_Update_to_an_RCP_Application-3.5

It is finally answering what that "generate metadata" checkmark is for when releasing a product (sigh!).

Jody

On 19/05/2010, at 10:12 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:

> Trying to go a bit more slowly; do you have a bug report or notes describing what you are doing?
> - do we need to grab a new update manager for uDig? (answer: probably I would expect so....)
> - the commit has been added to trunk? Or to the tag...
> - what was the fix?
>
> With respect to p2.inf I found the following online:
> - http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2/Customizing_Metadata
>
> As for deploying, it is tempting to just release 1.2.0 rather then another RC :-) An update site was one of the items we want for the 1.2.0 release.
>
> Jody
>
> On 19/05/2010, at 7:49 AM, andrea antonello wrote:
>
>> Hi Jody,
>> I have tried hard to get the community site listed by default but
>> couldn't find a way, or better, eclipse seems to provide a nice way
>> (p2.inf file in the bundle), btu it seems that the update manager used
>> in udig doesn't like it that much.
>>
>> Mauricio anyways committed the fix that makes it possible to install
>> from the community update site (if added manually).
>>
>> So there should be green light to deploy udig.
>>
>> A bit sad that we do not have the sites listed...
>> ciao
>> Andrea

Re: update sites on by default

Jody Garnett-2
Update site P2 progress.

I have been able to remove the update manager since P2 is now available; and have been able to directly make use of "org.eclipse.equinox.p2.user.ui" in our udig.product.

The resulting application "is not configured" for software update however ....

First step is to add a "p2.inf" file next to udig.product:

instructions.configure=\
  addRepository(type:1,location:http${#58}//udig.refractions.net/files/update/1.2/udig/);\
  addRepository(type:0,location:http${#58}//udig.refractions.net/files/update/1.2/community/);

To test we need to be able to export the product *with* "Generate metadata repository":
The Generate metadata repository option allows you to also generate p2 metadata along with yourexported feature. This does not create a p2-enabled product, just the metadata which can then be used to install using p2.

I would like us to proceed in this direction, a p2 update site, for the uDig 1.2.0 release as P2 is being formally used in Eclipse 3.6 and I understand the old eclipse update manager is no longer used.

Next steps?
- read the online help[1] [2] [3]
- generate p2.inf or categorization information for each udig feature we release
- get export product working with generating metadata repository

Jody

--- notes while trying this out ----

Release *with* the "Generate metadata repository" checkmark. I suspect this will fail; I bet we need to add a p2.inf file to each one of the features we use?

Export failed with ...

 Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
   Software being installed: udig 1.2.0
   Missing requirement: org.eclipse.core.boot Spanish NLS Support 3.5.0.v20091121043401 (org.eclipse.core.boot.nl_es 3.5.0.v20091121043401) requires 'bundle org.eclipse.core.boot 0.0.0' but it could not be found
   Cannot satisfy dependency:
   From: net.refractions.udig_language-feature 1.2.0.201005191501 (net.refractions.udig_language.feature.group 1.2.0.201005191501)
   To: org.eclipse.core.boot.nl_es [3.5.0.v20091121043401]
   Cannot satisfy dependency:
   From: udig 1.2.0
   To: net.refractions.udig_language.feature.group [1.2.0.201005191501]

So we are tripping up over language files? We did create a feature udig_language to include only those BABLE plugins that we actually use ... and it is our first failure.

On 19/05/2010, at 11:20 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:

[...]

I took another run at this (ie exporting with generating a metadata repository for P2).
Ended up taking a lot of unused stuff out of our udig_lanaguage feature (ie translations of parts of eclipse we don't use).

I then proceed to go though and fix each of the features so that there dependencies reflected reality (you can ask eclipse to manage that for you when plugins are added/removed from a feature) but we do not.  Looking at eclipse features they never seem to have this dependency section filled in?

Finally I got to the stage where all udig features worked; and it could not export out the org.eclipse.rcp feature :-(  Right now we include the org.eclipse.rcp feature in our udig-feature so we export out everything we need. I tried moving it from the udig-feature to the udig.product - but got the same kinds of failure.

The failures amounted to being unable release org.eclipse.rcp due solaris gtk (or some such).
I have rolled back my attempt.

Going to need some collaboration and doc reading to get this one done.

Jody

On 19/05/2010, at 3:18 PM, Jody Garnett wrote:

[...]

so what is the state of art for that now?
I was not thinking we would change that now. I was more hoping in
being able to revert the change that made the update sites disappear
at some point.

Anyways, I browsed through the docs you linked myself yesterday when
searching for solutions. It is quite some stuff to understand before
we can move forward, it seems.

How would you like to proceed?

Andrea

On 19/05/2010, at 11:25 PM, andrea antonello wrote:

> Hi Jody,
> so what is the state of art for that now?

P2 has been the state of the art since Eclipse 3.4; as of Eclipse 3.6 I think it is the only option.

> I was not thinking we would change that now. I was more hoping in
> being able to revert the change that made the update sites disappear
> at some point.

I thought that change was moving to Eclipse 3.5?

> Anyways, I browsed through the docs you linked myself yesterday when
> searching for solutions. It is quite some stuff to understand before
> we can move forward, it seems.
>
> How would you like to proceed?

I would like to get a time estimate for the two options:
- Did you get the "old" update site to work at all? Could we release 1.2.0 with that? (and then have to turn it off in a couple weeks time when we switch to P2?)
- I have the new P2 user interface on trunk now; what stands in the way is mistakes made when packaging the uDig application (or features point to things that do not existing etc...)

I would like to ask for help (Jesse are you around?) in packaging up uDig for release. We may need to go through creating the "mail" RCP application; and enabling it for P2 as shown in the exercise to understand what needs to be done.

What we get in trade?
- we have a P2 update site that we can use with Eclipse 3.6
- udig is also available as something from an update site; so you can download and install a small core and have P2 install the rest
- udig is packaged so it can be run as Java Web Start

Jody