using .tfwx w/GeoTIFF files with the JOSM image import plugin

using .tfwx w/GeoTIFF files with the JOSM image import plugin

Richard Welty-2
is this practical? image import wants a tfw file which i don't have;
i have the tfwx and aux files instead.

thanks,
   richard
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search

Re: using .tfwx w/GeoTIFF files with the JOSM image import plugin

Greg Troxel-2
Richard Welty <[hidden email]> writes:

> is this practical? image import wants a tfw file which i don't have;
> i have the tfwx and aux files instead.

I am not familiar with tfwx.  I would guess wildly that it's an XML
version of tfw, because a file with a few numbers isn't cool anymore.

The longstanding geotiff norm is a tiff and a tfw.   A tfw for an
arbitrarily-selected DRG within "boston west" is:

10.15999961
0.00000000
0.00000000
-10.15999961
248898.44273176
4712074.36193996

If you have the corresponding data, then creating a tfw is pretty easy
mechanically.  Description on wikipedia, or probably see the geotiff
sources.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_file

In the case above, I am pretty sure the coordinates are in NAD83 zone 19
UTM - this is a rasterized version of the USGS 1:25000 metric topos,
back when you had to pay them for copies on CD (20 years ago IIRC).

If you want to send me your image, tfwx and aux offline, I'm happy to
look at them.

On 7/10/19 2:40 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:

> I am not familiar with tfwx.  I would guess wildly that it's an XML
> version of tfw, because a file with a few numbers isn't cool anymore.

a tfwx file is similar in appearance to a tfw file, but is interpreted
differently. the following stackexchange page explains a little bit
about it, but not enough to let me get to a useful place:

https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/87101/georeferenced-tif-files-can-tfw-files-be-created-from-tfwx-files-arcgis-9-3