vehicle barrier

Martin Wynne
What is the correct tagging for this type of barrier across a road? Two
lengths of parallel railings with a narrow opening at alternate ends.
Blocking vehicles but allowing pedestrian access:

     ___________________________________
|___________________________________   |

In the particular instance a public road makes an end-on connection with
a private unadopted road, although both have the same name. It is just
about possible for pedal bicycles to get through, although I suspect it
is not intended.

At present I have it has two separate barriers =fence with a short
length of footpath between them. But clearly it is in fact a single
construction. And fence suggests a total barrier, so connecting a
footpath to a fence doesn't make sense.

Thanks,

Martin.

Re: vehicle barrier

Martin Wynne
 > The description of barrier=cycle_barrier in the wiki looks like
 > it might be what you need, combined with appropriate access tags.

 > I'd say that's a cycle barrier - the intention would be to allow
 > pedestrians to pass, force cyclists to dismount

Thanks for the suggestions.

For cycle_barrier the wiki says "barriers positioned along paths,
footways, cycleways or tracks".

In this case it is none of those ways, it is a full width road with
vehicle access to both sides. But one side is private access and the
other is public access (from the other ends).

I believe this barrier has been erected by the residents of the private
road, rather than the local authority. It's not clear what it achieves
which a conventional row of bollards would not.

Here's the Google streetview:

  https://goo.gl/maps/DGjTum7ynGE2

(I haven't mapped it from Google, I actually walked through it
yesterday. :) )

As you can see, it has been rendered totally ineffective for other than
motor vehicles by users pushing past one end. How do we map that?

Thanks.

Martin.

Re: vehicle barrier

Edward Catmur

Oh, I'd map that as barrier=cycle_barrier without hesitation - it's even made of the archetypal aluminium tubing.

The fact that it's across a road rather than a "path, footway, cycleway or track" is a pretty minor point compared to construction and intent. For prior art see e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2512940470 (visible on Bing at https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=d6b54d2c-03ad-4ada-8b8a-ef341a40ee71&cp=51.498781~-0.092815&lvl=19&dir=120.2292&pi=-6.162716&style=x&mo=z.0&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027 - a bit more ornate, but that's Southwark, and Trinity Church Square is a conservation area).

I don't think it matters that pedestrians can bypass it - it still retains its principal function of barring motor vehicles (and, presumably, slowing down cyclists).

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 1:36 PM Martin Wynne <[hidden email]> wrote:
 > The description of barrier=cycle_barrier in the wiki looks like
 > it might be what you need, combined with appropriate access tags.

 > I'd say that's a cycle barrier - the intention would be to allow
 > pedestrians to pass, force cyclists to dismount

Thanks for the suggestions.

For cycle_barrier the wiki says "barriers positioned along paths,
footways, cycleways or tracks".

In this case it is none of those ways, it is a full width road with
vehicle access to both sides. But one side is private access and the
other is public access (from the other ends).

I believe this barrier has been erected by the residents of the private
road, rather than the local authority. It's not clear what it achieves
which a conventional row of bollards would not.

Here's the Google streetview:

  https://goo.gl/maps/DGjTum7ynGE2

(I haven't mapped it from Google, I actually walked through it
yesterday. :) )

As you can see, it has been rendered totally ineffective for other than
motor vehicles by users pushing past one end. How do we map that?

Thanks.

Martin.

Re: vehicle barrier

Edward Catmur
If you don't like barrier=cycle_barrier, there's also barrier=chicane - I'd consider barrier=cycle_barrier to be a subset of barrier=chicane. But then you'd definitely need to provide comprehensive access tags.

On 10/08/2018 15:08, Edward Catmur wrote:
> Oh, I'd map that as barrier=cycle_barrier without hesitation - it's even
> made of the archetypal aluminium tubing.

Ok, will do. It's just that if you asked the residents I don't think
they intended it primarily to deter furious cycling. Its purpose is
clearly to prevent through motor traffic.

On the other hand there must have been some reason for the double row of
railings. But you could stand there all day and not see a cyclist. It's
a residential area, not on a route from anywhere to anywhere else. And
there is plenty of room for an occasional cyclist and pedestrians to
co-exist.

p.s. they are usually galvanised steel, not aluminium.

cheers,

Martin.