where are the house numbers gone?

Team Rebenbummler

Hi …

I have a strange behavior, the maps are generated, but no house numbers in the map. When the device searches for the address, it can find the street but not the house number. The map is build with the following statement

java -Xmx12288m -Xms5120m -jar mkgmap-r4283\mkgmap.jar --gmapsupp --index --housenumbers --output-dir=C:\Users\Richard\Documents\work\map --mapname=5917 --description=Freiburg-Regbez --family-id=59170001 --family-name=Freiburg-Regbez --max-jobs --route --drive-on=detect,right --make-opposite-cycleways --bounds=C:\Users\Richard\Downloads\bounds-latest.zip --transparent --verbose C:\Users\Richard\Documents\work\splitter\59170001*.o5m

Any hint what is going wrong? The house numbers where there in the past.

Thanks

Richard

Re: where are the house numbers gone?

Gerd Petermann
Hi Richard,

the options look good, only this path looks strange, it probably matches a single file only:
C:\Users\Richard\Documents\work\splitter\59170001*.o5m

Do you see any error messages from mkgmap?
Did you try to find other addresses?

Gerd

Re: where are the house numbers gone?

Team Rebenbummler
Hi Gerd,

I tried to find several addresses. The index allows me to enter country,
city, street and house number. The street is then shown on the map, but at
the beginning and not where the house number is located. The path is ok, I
split the map with the splitter tool to handle large maps like the alps. And
no, I do not get error messages. The Freiburg map is chosen, to have quick
results. Normally I use the alps, but this map takes more than 20 min to
process. The strange thing is, that this did work already. Unfortunately I
cannot say since when the problem started ...

Richard

Re: where are the house numbers gone?

Gerd Petermann
Hi Richard,

okay, I'll try to reproduce the problem tomorrow. Please upload the *.o5m file here:
http://files.mkgmap.org.uk/

Gerd

Re: where are the house numbers gone?

Gerd Petermann
Hi Richard,

I was not able to reproduce a general problem with housenumbers in the map. I find e.g. Richard-Weiß-Straße 72 in Freiburg in a fresh download.
Maybe you changed the firmware on your device?

Gerd

okay, I'll try to reproduce the problem tomorrow. Please upload the *.o5m file here:
http://files.mkgmap.org.uk/

Gerd

Re: where are the house numbers gone?

Team Rebenbummler
Hi Gerd,

this is something I cannot proof. But to conclude, you verified that the map generated by mkgmap includes the address as index and based on a searched address the device should be able to locate the related place. The funny thing is, both my Garmin Oregon 750 and the Base Camp Software do not show the house number on the map. I can search for it, but they are both not able to locate it on the map. This number has been shown in the past.

Any hint other than ask Garmin ...

Thanks
Richard

> Gerd Petermann <[hidden email]> hat am 27. März 2019 um 08:34 geschrieben:
>

> Hi Richard,
>
> I was not able to reproduce a general problem with housenumbers in the map. I find e.g. Richard-Weiß-Straße 72 in Freiburg in a fresh download.
> Maybe you changed the firmware on your device?
>
> Gerd

the default style never rendered house numbers, they are only stored for address search. Maybe you have looked at POI?

Gerd

this is something I cannot proof. But to conclude, you verified that the map generated by mkgmap includes the address as index and based on a searched address the device should be able to locate the related place. The funny thing is, both my Garmin Oregon 750 and the Base Camp Software do not show the house number on the map. I can search for it, but they are both not able to locate it on the map. This number has been shown in the past.

Any hint other than ask Garmin ...

Thanks
Richard

> Gerd Petermann <[hidden email]> hat am 27. März 2019 um 08:34 geschrieben:
>

> Hi Richard,
>
> I was not able to reproduce a general problem with housenumbers in the map. I find e.g. Richard-Weiß-Straße 72 in Freiburg in a fresh download.
> Maybe you changed the firmware on your device?
>
> Gerd

maybe I do not understand what you are missing. When you search for an address in Basecamp what do you get?
Please post a screen shot.

Gerd

the default style never rendered house numbers, they are only stored for address search. Maybe you have looked at POI?

Gerd

this is something I cannot proof. But to conclude, you verified that the map generated by mkgmap includes the address as index and based on a searched address the device should be able to locate the related place. The funny thing is, both my Garmin Oregon 750 and the Base Camp Software do not show the house number on the map. I can search for it, but they are both not able to locate it on the map. This number has been shown in the past.

Any hint other than ask Garmin ...

Thanks
Richard

> Gerd Petermann <[hidden email]> hat am 27. März 2019 um 08:34 geschrieben:
>

> Hi Richard,
>
> I was not able to reproduce a general problem with housenumbers in the map. I find e.g. Richard-Weiß-Straße 72 in Freiburg in a fresh download.
> Maybe you changed the firmware on your device?
>
> Gerd

I'll collect the details this evening when I have access to the home computer. That the house number is not rendered is acceptable, but the navigation to the place should work, which it did in the past.

Best regards
Richard

> Gerd Petermann <[hidden email] mailto:[hidden email] > hat am 27. März 2019 um 13:09 geschrieben:
>

>     Hi Richard,
>
>     maybe I do not understand what you are missing. When you search for an address in Basecamp what do you get?
>     Please post a screen shot.
>
>     Gerd
>
>     ________________________________________

DD8KQ
I can confirm that adress search with housenumbers still works in
MapSource and on GPSMAP 276Cx. Last weekend i created new maps using
mkgmap r4282 and all is working as expected :-)

Am 27.03.2019 um 13:28 schrieb Team Rebenbummler:

> Hi Gerd,
>
> I'll collect the details this evening when I have access to the home computer. That the house number is not rendered is acceptable, but the navigation to the place should work, which it did in the past.
>
> Best regards
> Richard
>
>> Gerd Petermann <[hidden email] mailto:[hidden email] > hat am 27. März 2019 um 13:09 geschrieben:
>>

>>      Hi Richard,
>>
>>      maybe I do not understand what you are missing. When you search for an address in Basecamp what do you get?
>>      Please post a screen shot.
>>
>>      Gerd
>>
>>      ________________________________________

I found the reason ... each map has its own index, this is obvious. When you
have more than one map active, for example the Worldwide DEM Basemap plus
other maps, the search index picks one map, depending on the country name
entered. This is not necessarily the map you intend. If only the intended
map is active, then the address search works, both in Base Camp as well on
the device.

Concerning the index, I get strange search results. Where are the Umlaute
gone? Elsässer Straße (Germany or Baden-Württemberg) is cut to Elsasser ...
Any hint to correct this?

Thanks
Richard

the default style never rendered house numbers, they are only stored for
address search. Maybe you have looked at POI?

Gerd

this is something I cannot proof. But to conclude, you verified that the map
generated by mkgmap includes the address as index and based on a searched
address the device should be able to locate the related place. The funny
thing is, both my Garmin Oregon 750 and the Base Camp Software do not show
the house number on the map. I can search for it, but they are both not able
to locate it on the map. This number has been shown in the past.

Any hint other than ask Garmin ...

Thanks
Richard

> Gerd Petermann <[hidden email]> hat am 27. März 2019 um
08:34 geschrieben:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I was not able to reproduce a general problem with housenumbers in the
map. I find e.g. Richard-Weiß-Straße 72 in Freiburg in a fresh download.

> Maybe you changed the firmware on your device?
>
> Gerd

Reg. Umlaut: use --latin1