wrong mdr25 and mdr27 data in global index?

wrong mdr25 and mdr27 data in global index?

Gerd Petermann
Hi,

while looking at my problem with restaurant POI I noticed that MdrCheck complains about the MDR27 in the index created by mkgmap
(Cities sorted by region)

The check complains (correctly) about duplicate entries in this index. We have a similar index in MDR25 (Cities sorted by country).

For MDR27 the current code in mkgmap doesn't remove any duplicates, for MDR25 it removes duplicate entries when
the combination of city name, region name and country name is repeated, no matter in how many different tiles the combination appears.

On the other hand, MdrCheck only complains when the 3 names are equal AND two subsequent entries in the index point to the same tile.

So, if I got that right we may have to few entries in MDR25, and for sure we have too many in MDR27. My problem:
I did not find a difference when I changed the code, it seems that both my Oregon and the PC software seems to ignore these 2 indexes.

Maybe older software/firmware versions used these indexes?

Gerd

Re: wrong mdr25 and mdr27 data in global index?

Ticker Berkin
Hi

Just been having a quick look at this area. My "Find Address" has only
has input for "Region", "City", "Number" & "Street Name". The "Region"
options are the Countries in my map, with "United Kingdom" pre
-selected. It seems to work OK - changing the region to another country
gives cities in that country.

Doing MdrCheck I see a few strange things.
 At start:
# reading 74210001
ERROR: map 1: city 1: no name; index 1
ERROR: map 1: city 2: no name; index 2

 In mdr5 section, all have reg=0, despite having different counties:
1 map1; ABBOTS WORTHY mapCity=3 reg=0 (HAMPSHIRE) country=0 (UNITED
KINGDOM^]GBR) ind20=0 rep=false
20 map1; ASHEY mapCity=24 reg=0 (ISLE OF WIGHT) country=0 (UNITED
KINGDOM^]GBR) ind20=0 rep=false

 mdr25 check - doesn't give any errors and looks reasonable

 mdr27 check - gives
section is empty

This is based on a GMAPSUPP containing a single tile in the map and
taking the MDR from this GMAPSUPP

Ticker

On Sat, 2018-07-28 at 06:58 +0000, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while looking at my problem with restaurant POI I noticed that
> MdrCheck complains about the MDR27 in the index created by mkgmap
> (Cities sorted by region)
>
> The check complains (correctly) about duplicate entries in this
> index. We have a similar index in MDR25 (Cities sorted by country).
>
> For MDR27 the current code in mkgmap doesn't remove any duplicates,
> for MDR25 it removes duplicate entries when
> the combination of city name, region name and country name is
> repeated, no matter in how many different tiles the combination
> appears.
>
> On the other hand, MdrCheck only complains when the 3 names are equal
> AND two subsequent entries in the index point to the same tile.
>
> So, if I got that right we may have to few entries in MDR25, and for
> sure we have too many in MDR27. My problem:
> I did not find a difference when I changed the code, it seems that
> both my Oregon and the PC software seems to ignore these 2 indexes.
>
> Maybe older software/firmware versions used these indexes?
>
> Gerd

Re: wrong mdr25 and mdr27 data in global index?

Gerd Petermann
Hi Ticker,

I think you can ignore the errors reg. no name. How did you create the gmapsupp? With mkgmap or with a Garmin program?

Mkgmap writes the Mdr27 index only for the PC index, not for the gmapsupp index.

Gerd

Just been having a quick look at this area. My "Find Address" has only
has input for "Region", "City", "Number" & "Street Name". The "Region"
options are the Countries in my map, with "United Kingdom" pre
-selected. It seems to work OK - changing the region to another country
gives cities in that country.

Doing MdrCheck I see a few strange things.
 At start:
# reading 74210001
ERROR: map 1: city 1: no name; index 1
ERROR: map 1: city 2: no name; index 2

 In mdr5 section, all have reg=0, despite having different counties:
1 map1; ABBOTS WORTHY mapCity=3 reg=0 (HAMPSHIRE) country=0 (UNITED
KINGDOM^]GBR) ind20=0 rep=false
20 map1; ASHEY mapCity=24 reg=0 (ISLE OF WIGHT) country=0 (UNITED
KINGDOM^]GBR) ind20=0 rep=false

 mdr25 check - doesn't give any errors and looks reasonable

 mdr27 check - gives
section is empty

This is based on a GMAPSUPP containing a single tile in the map and
taking the MDR from this GMAPSUPP

Ticker

On Sat, 2018-07-28 at 06:58 +0000, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while looking at my problem with restaurant POI I noticed that
> MdrCheck complains about the MDR27 in the index created by mkgmap
> (Cities sorted by region)
>
> The check complains (correctly) about duplicate entries in this
> index. We have a similar index in MDR25 (Cities sorted by country).
>
> For MDR27 the current code in mkgmap doesn't remove any duplicates,
> for MDR25 it removes duplicate entries when
> the combination of city name, region name and country name is
> repeated, no matter in how many different tiles the combination
> appears.
>
> On the other hand, MdrCheck only complains when the 3 names are equal
> AND two subsequent entries in the index point to the same tile.
>
> So, if I got that right we may have to few entries in MDR25, and for
> sure we have too many in MDR27. My problem:
> I did not find a difference when I changed the code, it seems that
> both my Oregon and the PC software seems to ignore these 2 indexes.
>
> Maybe older software/firmware versions used these indexes?
>
> Gerd

Re: wrong mdr25 and mdr27 data in global index?

Ticker Berkin
Hi Gerd

I generated it with mkmap --gmapsupp

Using --tdbfile and running MdrCheck on osmmap_mdr.img

mdr5: the reg= ohave values that correspond to the counties (in mdr26).
mdr25: identical output to mdr in gmapsupp
mdr27: is generate and I get a few errors about duplicated cities

I don't have a particular problem with anything but was wondering about
the Region/Country confusion.

Ticker

On Mon, 2018-07-30 at 11:17 +0000, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> Hi Ticker,
>
> I think you can ignore the errors reg. no name. How did you create
> the gmapsupp? With mkgmap or with a Garmin program?
>
> Mkgmap writes the Mdr27 index only for the PC index, not for the
> gmapsupp index.
>
> Gerd

I think MapSource / Basecamp ignore both indexes. I've tried with a modified mkgmap which creates empty sections
and did not see any change. It's not really important because the indexes are small and the computation needs not
much time. I am not so sure reg. mdr25. MapSource creates it when it generates a Gmapsupp, so maybe some devices
use it for the search of city POI.

Gerd