xapi site?

Tac Tacelosky
Not sure if the wiki is dynamically updated, but according to the XAPI page:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/XAPI

The first server listed is "Running Normally" (green).  But clicking
on it, or the status page, brings a 503 error.

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to
maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

________________________________
Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu) Server at jxapi.openstreetmap.org Port 80

However, I don't think it's temporary, as it's been down for a while.

Can someone point me to an XAPI server with fairly fresh data?  As our
streetview software moves closer to being demonstrable, I'd like to
not use the live API as much.

Thanks,

Tac

Re: xapi site?

Ian Dees
On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Tac Tacelosky <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not sure if the wiki is dynamically updated, but according to the XAPI page:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/XAPI

The first server listed is "Running Normally" (green).  But clicking
on it, or the status page, brings a 503 error.

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to
maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

________________________________
Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu) Server at jxapi.openstreetmap.org Port 80

However, I don't think it's temporary, as it's been down for a while.

jxapi.osm.org has been down for quite some time as it was getting abused and I haven't had time to add protections to it.

Can someone point me to an XAPI server with fairly fresh data?  As our
streetview software moves closer to being demonstrable, I'd like to
not use the live API as much.

You could probably set up your own XAPI pretty easily using the github docs [0] or you could use Overpass's XAPI interface.

Re: xapi site?

Martin Raifer
> Can someone point me to an XAPI server with fairly fresh data?

Just use the "XAPI compability layer"[1] provided by Overpass API:
http://www.overpass-api.de/api/xapi?...

[1]
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/XAPI_Compatibility_Layer

Re: xapi site?

sly (sylvain letuffe)
Le jeudi 30 mai 2013 20:27:43, Tac Tacelosky a écrit :
> As our
> streetview software moves closer to being demonstrable, I'd like to
> not use the live API as much.

You are currently quering the 0.6 API at api.openstreetmap.org ? If yes, you
can easily alleviate the load until you have a working alternative with xapi
or overpass API by replacing api.openstreetmap.org by api.openstreetmap.fr

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Servers/api.openstreetmap.fr

--
sly (sylvain letuffe)

sly, contact direct : sylvain /a\ letuffe o r g
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Sletuffe

Re: xapi site?

Tac Tacelosky
This is great!  I've read and re-read the api docs at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.6, and XAPI and wherever
else I could find, and hadn't seen any references to this site.  I'll
start using it, and I'll add my contact email to the queries should
there be an issue.

I've been experimenting with how to get the OSM elements near a
panoramic images, mostly so that I can tell what elements AREN'T
there, so they can be identified and added.  I have the images broken
up into segments, and originally I was getting all the data within the
bounding box of the segment, using the Overpass API.  But that meant
the data was always cached, so I've started getting just the elements
within about 100 meters of the image, doing that when the user
requests it.  With the .fr site, I can combine some caching with near
real-time data, which should work great.

Thanks for making me aware of this!

Tac

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM, sly (sylvain letuffe)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le jeudi 30 mai 2013 20:27:43, Tac Tacelosky a écrit :
>> As our
>> streetview software moves closer to being demonstrable, I'd like to
>> not use the live API as much.
>
> You are currently quering the 0.6 API at api.openstreetmap.org ? If yes, you
> can easily alleviate the load until you have a working alternative with xapi
> or overpass API by replacing api.openstreetmap.org by api.openstreetmap.fr
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Servers/api.openstreetmap.fr
>

> --
> sly (sylvain letuffe)

Re: xapi site?

sly (sylvain letuffe)
Le jeudi 30 mai 2013 23:33:29, Tac Tacelosky a écrit :

> I've read and re-read the api docs at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.6, and XAPI and wherever
> else I could find, and hadn't seen any references to this site.

I guess I'll have to improve my advertising skills ;-)
The server it runs on still has power left and is meant to be used by whoever
needs it.

I might not have pushed too much on advertising at first since I wanted to
give it time to correct bugs, but after 1.5 years, I consider it quite
reliable (Well, apart from software updates requiring database re-import, but
my todo list contains an automatic fail-over function I've been delaying a bit
too much...)

> originally I was getting all the data within the
> bounding box of the segment, using the Overpass API.  But that meant
> the data was always cached

I'm unsure about what cache you are talking about, but the 3 public Overpass
API instances I know about
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API#Introduction) are behaving
just about the same about cache and are constantly minutely updated, so if you
keep receiving the same data even after an update in the bbox I feel that even
using the fr instance won't change your problem...